Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just removed from a group for being too good

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Just removed from a group for being too good

12.26.2011 , 12:09 AM | #21
Learn to tank. Tanking is not about grabbing every single mob in sight, it's about protecting the people in your group. Your job is to make the pull, which is no more than the group of mobs hanging out together, and keep them attacking you, and you only. If a mob attacks somebody else, or even takes a step away from you, you pull his *** back and break him. If they told you to not pull so much, you obey them and make conservative pulls, where your goal is to be fighting as few mobs as possible.

You have to listen to your group, and work with them.
And now let us partake of the old ritual wherein two geeks argue at great length and with heroic fervor over whether or not something sucks, to what degree it sucks, and whether or not the other person should be branded a heretic.

12.26.2011 , 12:43 AM | #22

Your ability to get things to attack you isn't the sole measure of your tanking capabilities. I wasn't there, I didn't see exactly what happened, but it sounds very likely that the reason you were booted was NOT that you were "too good" at your role. Tanking means taking damage you don't want other party members to get and making a nice, single healing target...not going superman rambo mode.

12.26.2011 , 02:29 AM | #23
Its not too bad if you organize, Ive had some trouble but we learned what to do. Take 1 group at a time. CC one of the adds, several classes have a good ability to CC, and keep it from acting as long as it doesnt take damage. yes, my dumb *** did damage them, sometimes. You need enough dps to take them out before they kill you. You may not be able to heal a person constantly, and out survive the enemy just by healing and tanking.

You need good damage delivery, take out adds in certain fights first and tank the Elite or champion guy to kill last. You simply may not be able to tank everything continually, just keep them from the rest of the group and kill them fast.

Blue gear suited to your roll helps. High endurance is key for tanks, its also nice if you have defence, but I have trouble finding and crafting things with defense, just focus on Endurance armor, and a good shield generator. Actually taking Tanking talents helps a lot, learning what abilities are important to tanking helps, dont just blow your cooldowns at any moment, use them when you expect to take high damage, not as you pull but once they are attacking you you use it.

12.26.2011 , 02:42 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Exactly View Post
Yes, you read that correct. We are doing a heroic quest in nar shaddar and even with 2 healers focusing on me they cannot keep me alive, the grp requests me to "dude dont aggro so much" and i was invited as the tank!

I have 5k health at lvl 23 and a decent amount of defense and block, do healers need a buff? Did bioware intend these heroic quests to be two tanked and bouncing aggro all over the place just to survive?

First time ive ever been removed from a grp for being too good at my role. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, i am starting to think this game may be a bit too hard like others have said in this forum. Maybe healers need a buff....
Odds are you were tanking everything and not letting the classes use their CC abilities. You were taking way to much damage meaning instead of applying damage a second person had to heal you. A good tank knows the tools of the other classes and what they can do. The tanks I run with open up with their AE abilities then single target focus stuff down letting the range apply their CC and dps. Sounds to me like you were not being good but more mindless. The game isn't to has made you a poorer player.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

12.26.2011 , 03:19 AM | #25
Another thing to note, and I am aware this might seem anathema to some tanks, but you don't actually need to hold all the aggro, just themost dangerous. Even in the absence of CC, you can afford to let some of the mobs attack other people - say, if you're fighting 3 golds and 2 silvers, you keep aggro on the former, and let the latter attack others. Firstly, no (properly geared) character in the game is that squishy that they can't take a few hits, and secondly it can often be easier on the healers, even relatively early on. All three healing classes have access to efficient healing abilities that don't stack well, if at all, on single targets (such as the rune type shields of the Cons/Inq [unstackable], or the HoTs of the smug/IA [which stack once]), but can be readily applied to multiple targets. Trooper/BH healers even get access to an AoE heal pretty early.

Overall, a good tank is not one who grabs all the aggro and holds it regardless of anything. A good tank it one who understands how his group works, what abilities they have, what they're capable of, and adapts his playstyle to this. (well, a good player in general is this...)

12.26.2011 , 03:27 AM | #26
The noobery that went down is simply mind boggling and unexplainable.
This may be a discussion for another topic, but seriously effin' this. I've heard people blame a "Wrath" mindset, which would explain cc constantly being broken, but even Wrath babies know to let the tank round up the mobs before unloading. Often as a healer I'll be getting hit by ever mob that's not the main focus of the tank.

12.26.2011 , 10:17 AM | #27
First time ive ever been removed from a grp for being too good at my role. Has anyone else experienced this?
Holding aggro on everything is not = good.

How many mobs did you pull? Would it have been possible to pull less of them? Did you wait for the energy of the healers to regenerate before charging ahead? Did you use your healing ability after a fight to top yourself off quickly in 5 sec while the healers regenerate their energy?

And so on. There are still ton of stuff you can do wrong.

12.26.2011 , 02:16 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Aielchief View Post
..., but even Wrath babies know to let the tank round up the mobs before unloading. ....
Given his original postI think this may be his problem. They did specifically mention tryng not to aggro everything...

If they don't have the firepower then don't round up all the mobs - just get what they can handle and rinse and repeat. Bring too much back - even trash and the group will get swamped.

12.26.2011 , 06:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaoogaa View Post
The game isn't to has made you a poorer player.
This can be said about far too many players.

12.26.2011 , 08:33 PM | #30
As the tank you have to be a leader. Part of being a leader is understanding the abilities of the other classes in your group. You stated yourself that you don't know what abilities the other classes had. That is a huge problem, especially when it comes to crowd control since crowd control can be easily broken on damage. If you were also the puller of the group then you might have been pulling adds which would probably double the amount of damage you take.

I mean no disrespect but when a group fails it is never because 1 of the members is too good, it is mainly due to lack of teamwork and understanding of the group make up and capabailites.