Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fastest Way to Max Influence on Companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Fastest Way to Max Influence on Companions

Fastgray
10.26.2015 , 01:32 PM | #21
I admit I was curious about the new system in terms of a tier of potential responses a companion could have to your conversation. For example is "Char X is amused" equal to "Char X approves" or "Char X has their interest piqued etc."

Obviously greatly approves trumps approves but how do the others compare to each other?

It doesn't honestly change anything and I've just been picking answers I like anyway but I was still curious.

BenduKundalini
03.27.2016 , 05:43 PM | #22
What about heroics? I don't get it. Sometimes I run heroics with comps and they end up with huge affection gains. Most of the time, nada.

So what gives????

BenduKundalini
03.27.2016 , 10:01 PM | #23
I think I must have been sleepy and mixed up a heroic with a planetside quest...

Jedi_riches
04.01.2016 , 07:16 AM | #24
I am not sure I will ever max out my companions it seems like too much, however I have set some more 'reasonable' limits. Each class has 1 character that's a crafter and for that character I rank up to rank 20 using rank 1 companion gifts (as soon as I get the companion) with a aim of funneling all gifts through these characters to get them at least rank 30+, for all alts of those classes I chose the same crew skills and replace the crafting skill with slicing, with these characters I give them a base influence of rank 15 (giving gifts as soon as I get them), any influence gained after that is a bonus.

It seems like a reasonable trade off since I still get some decent crits from my gathering alts but the larger proportion of crits will come from my crafting characters.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

psandak
04.01.2016 , 08:15 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_riches View Post
I am not sure I will ever max out my companions it seems like too much, however I have set some more 'reasonable' limits. Each class has 1 character that's a crafter and for that character I rank up to rank 20 using rank 1 companion gifts (as soon as I get the companion) with a aim of funneling all gifts through these characters to get them at least rank 30+, for all alts of those classes I chose the same crew skills and replace the crafting skill with slicing, with these characters I give them a base influence of rank 15 (giving gifts as soon as I get them), any influence gained after that is a bonus.

It seems like a reasonable trade off since I still get some decent crits from my gathering alts but the larger proportion of crits will come from my crafting characters.
I agree that trying to get all companions on all characters to max influence is too much. In fact I will go so far as to say it is unnecessary. I have implemented a similar strategy to yours:

On my crafting characters I have one companion that is rank 30+ that is my dedicated crafting companion. The rest range from 10 to 25 (basically the former max affection to slightly better than the former best companion specific bonuses). I tend to use...
  • lower rank companions for gathering skill missions (since a crit is not as important; 2 extra units is not worth worrying about) and discovered missions (again crits are nice on those but not as important)
  • higher rank on mission skills (where purple mats are nice but not always necessary)
  • and highest rank (save the one crafter) for slicing (since purple mats are the goal)

The exception is my main where the increased efficiency is actually a benefit (while playing I can run more missions). On my main I have seven companions 30+ (50, 46, 40, 40, 39, 35, 33; Niko is my 50 so when he disappeared I leveled another companion to compensate)
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Eola
04.14.2016 , 10:56 AM | #26
I am a retuner, and leveled most of my toons after 4.0.

I use simple strategy to level influence: as soon as I got a new companion use green lvl 1 gifts to raise influence to 20. I am trying to avoid any conversation gains before that. Right after that I use all available at that moment crystals to buy gifts (typically I can get influence close to 30). All conversation are done only after that because your conversation gain does not depend on level, but gift gain drops significantly after lvl 10-20-30-40. By the time I have a third companion, my first companion is somewhere above 35, so I park him/her and continue leveling with third one.

With this strategy I have couple 40+ companions, three 25+ companions and one 20 by the time I finish class story - which seems OK for me.
On couple crafters I repeated Black Talon couple times, it gives ~ 7-8 K rep (only if you have not start KOTFE on the toon).

gogolgb
04.19.2016 , 01:34 PM | #27
This whole influence thing stopped me from starting kotfe on my main crafter characters lol

On my sorc (synth, i craft augments all the time) I had no idea what kotfe was about, so I got my talos, ashara, my droid and andronikos to level 30, then I decided to try out kotfe and.. surprise....

So yeah, I had to grind a lot to get 3 of the new ones to level 30.

I usually do the whole lvl 1 greens up to level 20-30 too, not sure if its the best way but it works out for me.

And I keep at least 3 companions at level 30 on my synth, armstech and armormech, since I craft a lot of augment kits and augments (10 65s in pvp). I use them to craft and keep the "Rich" crew skill missions for them

psandak
04.19.2016 , 02:09 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by gogolgb View Post
This whole influence thing stopped me from starting kotfe on my main crafter characters lol

On my sorc (synth, i craft augments all the time) I had no idea what kotfe was about, so I got my talos, ashara, my droid and andronikos to level 30, then I decided to try out kotfe and.. surprise....

So yeah, I had to grind a lot to get 3 of the new ones to level 30.

I usually do the whole lvl 1 greens up to level 20-30 too, not sure if its the best way but it works out for me.

And I keep at least 3 companions at level 30 on my synth, armstech and armormech, since I craft a lot of augment kits and augments (10 65s in pvp). I use them to craft and keep the "Rich" crew skill missions for them
I agree that the "surprise" was a little upsetting. However in another thread another forum-goer points out that we are supposed to get all our companions back eventually, so the investment in influence is not wasted...just delayed for an unknown period.

That being said, my policy - with existing characters - has been (since day one) to never increase a companion's rank over ten until I know that companion is back in KotFE. Rank 10 is the same as max affection when it comes to crit chance and efficiency therefore one does not lose much by getting those companions to 10. With new characters I am finding it VERY easy to get (early companions) past 10 with little to no gift giving; just the story decisions I have made generate a lot of influence (and not always what the companions wants to hear/see either; I get plenty of X disapproves).
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Storm-Cutter
04.19.2016 , 02:30 PM | #29
If I run through the KotFE story, I normally get Lana up to 20 or so, so she chews through the mobs quicker.
On crafting characters I have at least 1 companion at at least 30+ for the crits. - Especially if crafting high RoI stuff, the extra item is nice to have. -
I have an Armstech, Artificer and Bio with at least 1 rank 50 companion, and with their additional gather/mission skills I have most things but Slicing covered.

- And I'll have a couple extra at rank 10-25 -ish, coz I'll be using one to run about with and one for creating Bonded attachments etc.

As for the hordes of companions, I'm leaving them at whatever they gain after their first convos or star fortress runs or whatever - If I need another rank 10+ I'll recall one of the old comps instead of leveling up a new one.

Best of all seems to be Blizz, if you've got that far - he seems to like every type of gift, so leveling him up is easy!

Every log-on I scour the GTN for companion gifts, and snap up any bargains. - I also have 1 character that gets all the random gift drops- and when I need a new companion leveling up, I turn to the gift collector toon and send a few over.

IIRC companions get a good chunk of influence during the 1-50 story - though buying gifts is probably quickest, so long as you have the credits. -To earn them, H2s, PvP, GSF, dailies or crafting are among the top ways of making quick cash.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

psandak
04.19.2016 , 03:30 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
IIRC companions get a good chunk of influence during the 1-50 story - though buying gifts is probably quickest, so long as you have the credits. -To earn them, H2s, PvP, GSF, dailies or crafting are among the top ways of making quick cash.
Just to confirm that your recollection is accurate or not:
I have a level 18 VG with Aric at rank 6, just doing class story content. She's at the tippy top of on level (just finished Coruscant)
I also have a level 32 Sorc with Khem at rank 11.5. On this character I have given Khem some grade 1 gifts (I have UWT on this character so I level that skill doing gift missions (when possible) but I do not always get gifts that Khem likes). This one is significantly over level, just finished Tattooine and got Andronikus in the story (level 32 is top end of next planet: Alderaan), but even Andronikus is rank 3 already (no gifts)