Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rewards - the object? or subject of playing? What would you play for or pay for?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rewards - the object? or subject of playing? What would you play for or pay for?

Macetheace
10.22.2015 , 04:50 PM | #1
I've had an amazing experience with KotfE so far, haven't finished it, but so much about it, yum yum LIKE !!! I do however wonder what I would do once I finish it. Being one story really limits its replayability for all your alts, would I want to keep playing on my character and enhance him further? What incentive is there? Would it be a rewarding experience? What would I feel would be suitably rewarding enough at that level? or at any level for that matter???Rewards are huge incentives to play/ So I've been thinking a lot about this, what would you value as a good reward in this game?

What are the sort of things you would play for? Playing must have an objective afterall. Content is a means to an end is it not? Or it may not be, nevertheless we would do activities to get rewards and even enjoy it - not because the activity was fun but the reward was worth it.

I'd like to hear from you what sort of things you value as rewards.

I've been wondering if cartel market is just a way to pay for rewards rather than play for them instead. And whiles attractive items can be an incentive, should rewards be the objective of playing or just a bonus of playing?
Conceptually as long as you dole out money to buy a game or pay a subscription you are paying to play, playing yields rewards so whether through CM or just playing, you are paying for rewards. Do you find it rewarding?
If it feels wrong, it usually is.

Businesses must act with integrity in all things.

Macetheace
10.22.2015 , 04:52 PM | #2
For me the following are great rewards:
  • Taking on the role of a character - the fact that i can customise it makes it feel like me, going on an adventure.
  • Developing a character i have meticullously designed..seeing it in action and in convo scenes, mapping out a path for it, that's rewarding.
  • New animations - seeing cool abilities and cool moves is rewarding.
  • Seeing and experiencing an amazing story unfolding - with me at the epic centre is quite rewarding too.
  • Looking cool in new nice looking pieces of gear - gotta look cool for the cameras - it feels good to look good in character scenes
  • Doing cool things - seeing hte effect of a decision and my character doing cool things, executing an ability well and seeing something fancy.
  • Defeating enemies - after making good and skillful decisions in fighting - it's good to see the reward of such being enemies defeated - do note if they go down too easily all the time, this does not feel rewarding at all.
  • Becoming more powerful - powerful enough to beat all the content and others is a HUGE motivator, to win - therefore getting more powerful via gear, more abilities and levels is huge - however again I need to have challenges to overcome. Those challenges must in turn reward me with the above.

Macetheace
10.22.2015 , 05:07 PM | #3
Why would you keep playing after you've finished the main story and reached max level? If it felt rewarding and it offered more rewards that were attractive.

For gear to mean something - there has to be something it is useful for - to beat other players and win more credits and honours - to gain more options, attractive clothes, cool clothes, cool abilities.

If we are to keep playing instances and flashpoints till more story is revealed - it's got to offer us rewards we want and rewards enough to keep us coming back, till more content comes.

For me - if i could gain new abilities, or new animations for abilities, new customizations, unlock a very powerful boss that gave even more items and more story .. i'd keep going to flashpoints to gear up to take on these challenges, if they were new solo areas that required me to be in the best gear to do ... just to see the content, I'd keep gearing up...

If you rewarded me with:
Datacrons, new animation styles for existing abilities, alternate abilities, unique customizations for characters etc should only be available for completing certain content, time should not be the only investment you need, certain things should require skill... I would have incentive to keep coming back and mastering content , gearing up etc by doing flashpoints or ops - whether it's to continue on a solo journey

Macetheace
10.27.2015 , 12:25 PM | #4
another thing is in the legacy - being able to swap my characters without logging out, or use various enhancements, legacy abilities expanded etc, would also be good rewards..and incentives for playing other toons.

This is another area SWTOR could excel, really inducing or encouraging / rewarding having more than one toon.

some straight forward perks

1. More cross abilities during heroic moments: as well as being able to actually play as another class for a short period of time, the level of access of abilities depends on the level of the other class. The more alts of other classes you have, the more play types you can temporarily switch too.

2. Actually able to use your alts as companions or followers - in addition too your active companion, or as a cooldown emergency help, like an alternate heroic moment. maybe even the option to swap controls to your summoned alt, whiles the ai controlls your character

3. Strongholds - you can marry your alt instead of your companion - and whenever you visit your stronghold, your partnered alt will always be there, and if you swap toons, places ares swapped. Strongholds as a unique family dynamic too, you can get kids, or have AI friends, have parties that provide boosts, or fend off pvE invasions,

go rescue your children - they could make a whole sub game having social and combat extensions.

4. You can access crew skills of your other characters without switching to them, making it really convenient as well as beneficial to level up other characters for crafting purposes, furthermore, moving gear between them should be come easier, things like mounts and pets going legacy wide etc.