Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What some don't understand about Neutrality.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
What some don't understand about Neutrality.

KoenigNord
01.07.2012 , 10:39 PM | #111
I played my Smuggler to lvl 30 on a RP-PvP-server now and my Light/Dark side stats are 2500:1100, or so. Leading to a Light I-rating
I really like the story and how i can react in my quests. I am playing with disabled hints for the sides in the dialogs, so I can't feel pushed in any direction but do like I want to.

My problem comes to competitive gaming. When I am competing in PvP, I have a big disadvantage by now (wasn't that big at 10-20) because of the lack of relics. This also affects PvE, but there it is much easier to accept (I like a hard challenge and in PvE I can choose what to fight).

I hope that there will be a solution soon, until then I won't compete on any battlegrounds with this character. Thats really bad, because I really love PvP....

A possible solution would be, like many said before, to make relics with no requisition of Light/Dark side.

Please Bioware, fix this ASAP. This is one of the biggest balance problems I noticed so far (Too much jedi loot is my #2... )

Sildroni
01.09.2012 , 11:41 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Vromrig View Post
And yes, neutrality is indecision at its finest.
DS/LS decisions are being rated arbitrarily tho.

In Black Talon - there are 2 choices that earn alignment (tho there are several actions that probably warrant it).

The final choice is to bring a severely damaged man back to your superiors to be tortured until he dies - a fact supported by the dialog leading up to the decision or to kill right there.

Yes - the kill option is done with a bit of malice, but it is definately the more merciful choice.
Kill quick = DS.
Retrieve for torture = LS.

As an Imperial Agent RPing Black Talon will almost always net me neutral gain - I choose one DS and one LS choice. Its not indecision - the choices were made according to the storyline. Its a conscious choice not to game the system, but to play the game.
Sqn ()
eleven*ELEVEN*eleven

"Improvised interrogations are my speciality."

Latorn
01.27.2012 , 05:45 PM | #113
Well.. This thread certainly grew in my absence... XD

Since then we've had this article about grey gear and plans to make alignment rewards more powerful: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/11/sw...utral-players/

Hopefully we'll be seeing grey gear in Patch 1.3 at the latest, though it really would be better for patch 1.2

Hxxr
01.28.2012 , 08:37 AM | #114
I always chose what felt right for my character disregarding points and ended up Dark II at 50.

Now I grind the rest of DS points through flashpoints and Diplomacy to buy the speeder. Actually I just have 145 points to go. After that I probably start making the choices that feel right for the character again.

ShadowlordSage
02.28.2012 , 12:35 PM | #115

***. Just read this thread as I was wondering about this. I play a Smuggler. A morally ambiguous person to start with. Who got paid an insane amount of money to decide this was a good idea?

BrainSplatter
02.28.2012 , 12:55 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Vromrig View Post
Is that why everything in Jolee's life fell apart, and every single person that tried to repeat this philosophy ended up going ******* insane?
Proof for anything you said? The Star Wars universe got covered by a lot of writers, and I'd be surprised to see some kind of obligation on everyone's behalf to demonstrate that being a Grey Jedi 'doesn't work' unless canon is extremely strict in this for some reason (which I doubt).

I could make the argument that the LS mainstream Jedi philosophy doesn't work either since they're often in the habit of unintentionally replenishing the Sith's ranks by giving in to their emotions after a lifetime of abstinence. Which would actually make more sense, realistically.
Glorious Collector's Edition owner, lording it over all the other plebs.

Beeska mu-moolee bu Halapu. Ho-ho-ho-ho!

Kungpaoshizi
03.01.2012 , 08:55 AM | #117
they still havn't made neutral stuff?
it was missing in beta too...

OrderSixtySixx
03.01.2012 , 09:09 AM | #118
I think the gear should be tied to level and overall alignment points gained (not the side your on).

That being said I think there should be a few more cosmetics put in for the actual levels of alignment points. Sith are physically affected by embracing more and more of the dark side. I think Jedi should gain a blue or light white aura as they progress higher into the light side. Sorcs could become haunched, or have their overall height reduced.

There are several things they could do, Im just gonna give it time.

Katahn
03.01.2012 , 11:23 AM | #119
I'm playing a very honorable Sith Juggernaut - he is big on the "peace through order" concept the Empire promotes. He feels it is dishonorable, and borderline treasonous, to take actions that undermine the Empire's goals as a whole. As Darth Malgus says in the Athiss post-dialogue "There's no room for Sith, dead or alive, who place themselves above the Empire." That is a sentiment that my character agrees with.

Part of the "peace through order" is that so long as the lower classes are doing their duties they should be protected and not hunted, tortured, or just randomly killed for no reason. That would be counterproductive and would only serve to foment discontent and possible rebellion where it wasn't necessary. He doesn't feel a moral obligation to protect them, it is pure machiavellian reasoning.

All of this results in the necessity to make light side choices. He couldn't allow the Sith to continue their game of hunting citizens for instance. What I've done to mitigate this impact is default to the dark side choice when it is provided unless it would violate the character's internal code of honor and sense of duty to the Empire. At level 27 he is (barely) Dark II. I don't see an alternative but to "farm" flashpoints such as BT for the extra DS points to offset the story-based choices I make because otherwise I suffer for a lack of gear in a couple key slots.

What I would prefer is to see the restrictions on gear changed. Instead of "Requires Dark X" or "Light Y" let's switch it around to "Forbidden to...". Other restrictions are not changed (such as level or class requirements).

Dark V -> Forbidden to Light I
Dark IV -> Forbidden to Light II
Dark III -> Forbidden to Light III
Dark II -> Forbidden to Light IV
Dark I -> Forbidden to Light V

Light V -> Forbidden to Dark I
Light IV -> Forbidden to Dark II
Light III -> Forbidden to Dark III
Light II -> Forbidden to Dark IV
Light I -> Forbidden to Dark V

In this way you don't need to add new gear, you just continue to use the same gear that is already there. Someone who stays very grey gets the advantage of being able to use either side's gear while those that go down the Light or Dark path start getting barred from using the opposite alignment's gear.
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

vaseretic
03.01.2012 , 03:22 PM | #120
I agree, I'd like to roll a neutral character without gear penalties.