Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Trooper Rank Structure

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Trooper Rank Structure

RuQu
12.25.2011 , 05:51 PM | #1
What is going on with these ranks? As a sergeant my trooper was demanding salutes, despite this not being an officer rank. Later in the Trooper line, an NPC ensign (the first officer rank in the Navy) calls a Sergeant (a mid-level non-officer rank in the non-Navy services) "Sir" and acts as though she is his superior.

It would be good if there was a codec entry for Troopers at the start that explained the rank structure, because as a member of the military IRL, I find the use of military ranks and terms in this game very confusing. It wouldn't be a problem if they were made up ranks, like some of the Imperial ranks, but using real world ranks in a non-conventional way with no explanation makes it seem as though it is a writing mistake.

Muanthuun
12.25.2011 , 05:54 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
What is going on with these ranks? As a sergeant my trooper was demanding salutes, despite this not being an officer rank. Later in the Trooper line, an NPC ensign (the first officer rank in the Navy) calls a Sergeant (a mid-level non-officer rank in the non-Navy services) "Sir" and acts as though she is his superior.

It would be good if there was a codec entry for Troopers at the start that explained the rank structure, because as a member of the military IRL, I find the use of military ranks and terms in this game very confusing. It wouldn't be a problem if they were made up ranks, like some of the Imperial ranks, but using real world ranks in a non-conventional way with no explanation makes it seem as though it is a writing mistake.

Ranks in different cultures and military orginizations mean different things. Marines in boot camp call their Drill Instructor, sir. Army guys such as I was call him Drill Sergeant.

I think playing through the Trooper story will give you plenty of idea on the rank structure.

LordRaeth
12.25.2011 , 05:56 PM | #3
There is a codex entry, you get it on the trooper at least on Ord Mantell.

Laosboi
12.25.2011 , 05:58 PM | #4
It's probably because we're havoc squad which is special forces which is whole different branch of the army that's higher up =P

RuQu
12.25.2011 , 06:01 PM | #5
Im pretty far into Chapter 1, and I created the topic because it isn't clear. Whether or not a private calls their Drill Instructor (or Drill Sergeant) "Sir" is one thing, Ensigns calling Sergeants sir is another. And we know from the story that Sergeant is below LT, because you get promoted to LT from Sergeant, and someone else gets demoted the other way. So is Sergeant and officer rank, between Ensign and LT, where in the US Navy that rank would be LTJG? It does say you went to the Academy and graduated top of your class, so I guess Sergeant is an officer in the Republic military.

Regardless, since they are using real world ranks in a non-standard way, a Codex entry is a small price to ask to clarify.

SupaReform
12.25.2011 , 06:06 PM | #6
Sergent = NCO = Non-Commisioned OFFICER

RuQu
12.25.2011 , 06:07 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LordRaeth View Post
There is a codex entry, you get it on the trooper at least on Ord Mantell.
Does it actually list the ranks in order? I just checked my Codex, and I have nothing of the sort. There is a description of Havoc Squad and of Republic Special Forces. Nothing about rank structure.

RuQu
12.25.2011 , 06:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SupaReform View Post
Sergent = NCO = Non-Commisioned OFFICER
Ensign = Commissioned Officer. ie, Ensign gets called Sir by the Sergeant, NOT the other way around.

LordRaeth
12.25.2011 , 06:09 PM | #9
Pretty sure it does, it descending order, includes two naval ranks to.

RuQu
12.25.2011 , 06:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LordRaeth View Post
Pretty sure it does, it descending order, includes two naval ranks to.
Interesting. I have 21/28 codex entries for Ord Mantell. If you could confirm for me that you have a codex entry that shows the ranks and tell me the name of the entry title in the Codex I would greatly appreciate it.