Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Problem with Lightning talent "Exsanguinate"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Problem with Lightning talent "Exsanguinate"

BRockAR
12.25.2011 , 05:43 PM | #1
In the 2nd tier of the Lightning Tree is a talent called "Exsanguinate." It is a 2 point talent that says it extends the duration of Affliction by 3 seconds. I assumed the damage would also increase, but when I put a point into this talent my Affliction description went from "400 damage over 15 seconds" to "400 damage over 18 seconds". I thought that maybe the description adjustment was something they overlooked, so I tested it out. But in fact the description was accurate. Still 400 damage, only my ticks had decreased in damage and I gained an additional tick at the end. Now I have 6 ticks @ 67 damage over 18 seconds, rather than 5 ticks @ 80 damage over 15 seconds like I had in the first place. Hopefully this is an oversight and will be fixed with a patch, rather than this being the intended effect of Exsanguinate? I hardly see the point of this talent if there is no increase in damage.

Vortimous
12.25.2011 , 08:15 PM | #2
Yeah, they need to look into that if this is true...
Vortimous

Darth Banon Server

BRockAR
12.26.2011 , 10:45 PM | #3
Can anyone else verify?

Hesp
12.26.2011 , 11:54 PM | #4
I noticed the same exact thing when I first leveled my SI. I had assumed it was a tooltip error, but upon testing it seems that the talent does indeed merely increase the duration and not the actual damage done. I suppose it is still technically a dps increase since it saves you a global every once in a while, but it's definitely not as good as it should be. I imagine if enough attention is drawn to the issue we could get an answer out of Bioware on whether this is working as intended or a bug.

Fonzdude
12.27.2011 , 01:00 AM | #5
doesnt it add addtional "ticks" of damage ?

SIowpoke
12.27.2011 , 02:26 AM | #6
The damage that affliction does is near meaningless for lightning.

What matters is that it's ticking, criting, and you have to cast it as little as possible

Ronisman
12.27.2011 , 09:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SIowpoke View Post
The damage that affliction does is near meaningless for lightning.

What matters is that it's ticking, criting, and you have to cast it as little as possible
That's actually completely wrong. If what the OP says is true, than taking this talent is literally a direct dps decrease.

Has anyone done any testing, or have any insight on whether this is true? Or is this just a tooltip error?

spellegren
12.27.2011 , 09:20 PM | #8
This is accurate, it increase duration only and does not increase damage. Tested and reported in beta, since it hasn't been addressed I assume that it is intentional. Though why anyone would want to nerf there dps for 2 skill points is beyond me.

Yoshirou
12.27.2011 , 09:35 PM | #9
Well.. it adds more chances to proc Lightning Barrage.
But since it does have no cooldown and is instant, it can easily be recast when it runs off.
If the damage doesnt increase, its hardly worth 2 talent points.

PhantomAnton
12.27.2011 , 09:45 PM | #10
I would assume it's a bug that needs to be fixed. Other games like WoW and EQ had this problem all the time with spells.

The code probably calculates the spell's total damage divided by the number of ticks, rather than first calculating the damage per tick and then just adding more ticks of that amount of damage. It's an easy oversight to make when coding.