Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Group Roles

mightygaz
12.25.2011 , 05:43 PM | #1
I'm seeing a lot of groups being built on the traditional MMO roles. tank, DPS, healer.

my question is, are they realy relevant here?

it seems to me peole are trying to make their charactyers fit these roles, rather than trying to make the roles fit their character.

many seem to want to use the roles as they would be in WoW, and it doesnt seem to work, yet they continue with it.

is anyone else thinking this?

mightygaz
12.25.2011 , 05:50 PM | #2
bump, hoping for opinions from others.

XkentuckyboyX
12.25.2011 , 05:52 PM | #3
I've done most of the Heroics (2+ and 4's); and the flashpoints Black Talon and Hammer Station.

I've wondered the same thing about if group roles are needed. It seems that Black Talon and the Heroic 2+'s don't need a specific group composition, but you do need a tank and healer for Heroic 4's and Hammer Station.

DWarrior
12.25.2011 , 05:52 PM | #4
It's what a lot of people want because that's what they know in my opinion. While you may be able to run say a flash point with four marauders, some would find it a lot easier to have the traditional tank in front with dps and healer in back.
1020 367
Zabrak Marauder ---

mightygaz
12.25.2011 , 05:56 PM | #5
the tank is the bit i dont see a need for. healer, yes, though maybe not if seveal people have skills in that area.

DWarrior
12.25.2011 , 06:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mightygaz View Post
the tank is the bit i dont see a need for. healer, yes, though maybe not if seveal people have skills in that area.
I chalk it up to preference. If you want to make a group without a tank that's up to you (of course with other members willing). It's all about how you want to play man.
1020 367
Zabrak Marauder ---

mightygaz
12.25.2011 , 06:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I chalk it up to preference. If you want to make a group without a tank that's up to you (of course with other members willing). It's all about how you want to play man.
thats the point though, it isnt. the few times i suggested we didnt need someone acting as a tank, you'd think i'd demanded they hand their children over to be microwaved and eaten. the concept seemed insane to them.

DWarrior
12.25.2011 , 06:09 PM | #8
Like I said, it's what people are used to. I never said it was going to be easy to convince others lol. You will just have to prove to them some how that they are able to do the job without having a tank. Might be hard to near impossible. I think tanks are very helpful. They do soak up a lot of damage so if I personally had the option of having a jugg lead the pack I am more than willing. Anyways, wish you the best
1020 367
Zabrak Marauder ---

syntxerr
12.25.2011 , 06:59 PM | #9
At higher levels you will need a classic Trinity group composition.

Switchykins
12.25.2011 , 07:03 PM | #10
See above, i'm sorry but heroic 2+? BT and HS? lol they are so early and designed to be a bit easier on the poor people that have not got very far into there abilities/talents. When you get higher go try do a flashpoint with no healer or tank you'll soon realise that based on the system TOR uses talent tree wise you will not get far without a tank and some form of healing.
Peace is a lie, there is only Strength