Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

Halyna
12.28.2011 , 12:15 PM | #51
Glad to know this is bothering a lot of other people too.

Having to decide between being a cliche hero/ villain is a bit annoying. Neutral or non-alignment items would be quite nice.
I oteп give myself little rewards. Some call it "stealing".

masterleonidas
12.28.2011 , 12:42 PM | #52
I haven't gotten far into the game but I think light or dark or neutral options will get you stuff that's sometimes cool or something you can sell and get credits for. There are positive and negative outcomes for every decision, especially in star wars. But I agree about getting more gear and powers no matter what your decision, just different kinds depending on choices.

Gasaraki-
12.28.2011 , 01:54 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by RiledRodian View Post
This is a major oversight of the game design, obviously coming from the MMO design vets on Bioware's team. Alignment shouldn't be min/maxed.

If Bioware want's people to play the story "correctly," they should completely revamp the alignment reward system, or providing mixed alignment gear. For example, gear requirements not being just "dark II" but perhaps "Dark I/Light I" combined.
True, well put. They had this "fixed" in ME2, I wonder why they went back to this older system with TOR.

Rimr
12.28.2011 , 02:00 PM | #54
Same here. Ive a completely new player and have only played for less than a day and im quite seriously considering hitting the big "delete and redo" button.

I chose Sith simply because choosing Jedi would be just to obvious (Humans are basicly good etc.) and probably wouldnt be much of a challenge.

First thing that made me chuckly was the "friendship" points .. all fine and dandy because there is the usually "partying up and lets get the boss together" in a mmo .. but it really felt quite pink and fluffy for a dark evil Sith

The there is the npc conversations. No one really knows what a "sith" would do in those situations. Would a Sith even listen to a npc that isnt their "master"? Also you run into the odd paradox that on one hand you are a mean evil dark Sith who listen to no one .. but you really as a player want to do the quests the npc offer, so you dont want to answer anything that might end you up in failing to get the quest.

Also is it just me or is there a lot of "trick" questions? Like you think you answer is "dark" when you tell someone is "smelly" but then the npc thank you for telling it about its problem with BO and you get 150 Light points for "telling the truth" or whatever. (purely fictional question to awoid spoilers).

Anyways, i sit down from my first day of playing and i have a really odd feeling .. like walking away from a room filled with bodies of the ones that i have killed trying to be "evil" .. but apparently i killed em all like a saint (aka 1000+ light points).

I know SW is all about light and dark but in this game once you choose your faction you are pretty much set to one side. Sure the game can still have a scale based on your answers but shouldnt it be "inside" you side only? Like Dark can only get to choose from "less dark", "dark" and "mega dark"? Giving a dark char light point is not just a "degrading and crippling" in multiple ways its also very illogical .. or are they later going to introduce a faction change stone or similar?

Durstilla
12.28.2011 , 02:03 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Vrumpt View Post
its not even about the gear anymore, its the fact that we are being punished for making our own decisions.

If you play as either all light or all dark, then you aren't making your own decisions; you are making the decisions you are supposed to make. They aren't your own, the are the right ones you are supposed to make because you have to choose them to get any positive rewards.
You do realize none of these decisions are yours right? Last I checked we weren't playing star wars D&D (that would be amazing btw).

Phadian_gess
12.28.2011 , 02:10 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Latorn View Post
Did you even read the OP?

He's talking about players being punished for playing the way Bioware intended you to.

Basically in order to not be gimped you need to currently pick the light side option every time, or the dark side option (My only choice is being a freaking goody-two-shoe saint, or an insane evil overlord?). Since this is the case why don't we forgo the option entirely and just designate a characters alignment during character creation, so lame >.<
here is something to look at.

my character is currently 3850 light 1450 dark and lvl 34 i could solo essless like twice and get another 150 points bringing me to light 3. the way i see this is yeah those 1450 darkside points could have been lightside and id probably be halfway to light 4 but im glad i have the choice to have random fits of sadistic tendencies
Haters, They gonna hate
www.Youtube.com/user/zanove
^---my youtube channel for covers and music

Windkull
12.28.2011 , 02:15 PM | #57
Unless you purposefully choose to alternate between dark and light choices you won't be perfectly neutral, so you will be able to use the weaker version of one or the other side's stuff... You don't completely have to leave the slot empty, unless I am misunderstanding you?

Its just as arbitrary to stay fully neutral in this game as to choose one side all the time, the proper way to play would be to pick what you think is best for your character and deal with the hit either way...

austringer
12.28.2011 , 02:23 PM | #58
So, your unhappy that YOUR choice has a CONSEQUENCE? Thats exactly what BW offered. Your choice to sit on the fence and not get the benefits from making a choice light or dark. As I remember in KOTOR, you only got benefits from high light or dark. I'm always amazed at the level of crying and whining. Hey BW, just remove all rules and classes and restrictions and let everyone do whatever they want. I want my SA to use a chain gun from stealth!!!!

Veala
12.28.2011 , 03:40 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by austringer View Post
So, your unhappy that YOUR choice has a CONSEQUENCE? Thats exactly what BW offered. Your choice to sit on the fence and not get the benefits from making a choice light or dark. As I remember in KOTOR, you only got benefits from high light or dark. I'm always amazed at the level of crying and whining. Hey BW, just remove all rules and classes and restrictions and let everyone do whatever they want. I want my SA to use a chain gun from stealth!!!!
You're confusing story consequences with mechanic consequences. Everyone wants their decisions to have consequences in the story. Whether it's getting a different ending, getting different quest rewards or even opening up completely different quest because of a decision you made, everyone loves that.

The problem arises when your character becomes mathematically less effective than someone else's because of your choices. At that point it's no longer a story consequence for making a story decision, it's an effectiveness penalty for making a story decision. In a game that's primarily about making your avatar stronger, this creates an incentive to go either hard light or hard dark to make your character as mechanically effective as possible. This incentive is what we have a problem with.
My newest project: www.tor-loot.com - Find the best Flashpoint loot for your class with one click!

Pandemonicum
12.28.2011 , 03:52 PM | #60
I experience this issue too. While I have no problem following Dark Side only with my Sith Assassin, I find myself in confused while playing Imperial Agent. Simply because his choices are NOT SIMPLE. Often, in both dark and light side options people die and both have some good outcomes. The division is mostly artificial. Said that, I would like to be able to choose according to the situation, not just looking at red or blue symbol.

Dark/Light choices are often much more complex than just "picking side". This game is story-based RPG and MMO same time. It is great about it. But to fully enjoy both aspects, more freedom should be added.

Also, I think it is logical for a Force-user to depend Light/Dark side choices. Their strenght highly depends on their emotions and hence behaviour. But for other classes, it's not so.

Adding neutral items will be a solution. Maybe only partial but still. To really solve the problem, choices system should get a lot more complicated.

To clarify - this game is NOT about fight between Light and Dark side. It is a war between Republic and Empire. Do not confuse these, they are not always equivalents.