Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

RiledRodian
12.30.2011 , 12:54 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainOatz View Post
The topic is about being 100% neutral? Well why can't you go 100% light? Why can't you go 100% dark? Most of the dark choices are kill everyone you see and lie about it for money, and the light choices are spare casualties and be honorable. It's inconceivable to think that your character would actually make enough choices going both ways to stay neutral throughout the entire game, since they are, in fact, 100% opposite of each other. You will inevitably at least reach light or dark I. To avoid the first tier you almost have to be going out of your way to do so.

The story makes sense if you go light or dark, or even a mix of the, it doesn't make sense if you are constantly bouncing around between the 2 choices because 'you are neutral'.

And dialogue does matter. Just because you can break it down into a white/black mechanic doesn't mean it is unimportant. Every single dialogue option you make can alter the entire game.

Again, what is the benefit of going light/dark if you have no benefits and can have everything you want by just making whatever choices you want throughout the entire game? this would make dialogue useless, the way it is now is working fine.
I'm only level 15 right now, but I'm still in neutral, I have almost equal amounts dark side and light side points.

This conversation isn't really about the viability of playing as "true neutral," it's about the poor design decision (which has already been addressed by the devs) of not making neutral or mixed alignment based specialty items
Buy the Coruscant Condo of your dreams!
Adjustable APR loans now available to almost anyone!
-~~- CZERKA SACHS-~~-
The Banking Clan You Trust

ScaryMonster
12.30.2011 , 01:03 PM | #112
Today I tried to find ANY single-handed lightsaber for Ashara... Guess what? All of them need at least light I or dark I and since I've got light 3100 and dark 3000 Ashara is forced to use some creepy-looking vibroblade... Thats not how I imagine a young Jedi Padawan.

Naevius
12.30.2011 , 01:06 PM | #113
Make whatever story choices you want, then take Diplomacy and work it for light or dark points. At the end of the day the Dark/Light track is just a counter...you don't need to let it affect the story.
I don't always use lightsabers, but when I do, I prefer Dos Blades ...

ScaryMonster
12.30.2011 , 01:59 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Naevius View Post
then take Diplomacy and work it for light or dark points.
Why should I take a crew skill (and delete my old one) only to get some silly points? Because game system forces me to do so? It isn't an option. Neutral gears are my only hope.

Quote: Originally Posted by Naevius View Post
At the end of the day the Dark/Light track is just a counter...you don't need to let it affect the story.
This is like fighting with symptoms not with the disease.

Aesri
12.30.2011 , 02:05 PM | #115
I don't take issue with your desire or feelings, OP and supporters. I do, however, take issue with your choice of words.

Nobody is being punished. Period.

That the game isn't smoothed out in every fashion in it's rough spots is not punishment, it simply is. That you continue to play said character in the face of such circumstances is not being punished, it's called being either perseverant or masochistic. Take your pick.

Just seems like a really bad choice of words when it's a situation of your own creation once you pass over the fact that MONTHS ago it was known that there was little/no real [/b]gear option[/b] for neutral play yet. Just sayin'.
"I'm a smuggler. I point and laugh at blockades."

CaptainOatz
12.30.2011 , 02:13 PM | #116
This thread is absurd. I'm not going to say anything more than this, I'm not even going to read this thread anymore.

You knew the choices, you knew the consequences. More importantly, you knew which consequences were from each choice. It isn't a punishment, it's a result. Whether or not you are happy with it is in no way Bioware's fault or their problem, full responsibility is yours for your own actions. At this point you are just complaining to complain.
This game is serious.

ScaryMonster
12.30.2011 , 02:16 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Aesri View Post
it's called being either perseverant or masochistic
I'd call that being role-playing.

Aesri
12.30.2011 , 02:20 PM | #118
If your flavor of role-playing is to fly in the face of possibility merely to remain true to a singular character, to again and again experience the tang of displeasure when you're beaten over the head with the fact that MONTHS AGO WE KNEW THERE WAS NO REAL GEAR OPTION FOR GREY/NEUTRAL PLAY then...good on ya'.

I'm a roleplayer, don't get me wrong. Nearly 20 years of table-top and online. Just if it's not pleasing, try something else until what is displeasing changes.
"I'm a smuggler. I point and laugh at blockades."

ScaryMonster
12.30.2011 , 02:26 PM | #119
If Your choice in role-playing Your character is only to be pure good or pure evil, it's no role-playing at all in my opinion. Just picking a side once and then just sticking to it with Your further decisions.

sanctimonia
12.30.2011 , 02:30 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Vrumpt View Post
Its not even enough to have to add a neutral set of items, because that still forces the player to play one of 3 correct ways; dark, neutral or light. The entire concept of gear with any alignment requirement is counterproductive to the "play your own story" philosophy that SWTOR is based on and is being advertised as.
Ummm...how else would you play it other than those 3 ways? What other options are there besides neutral, ligh, and dark?

I actually would like to see neutral gear...or just end game gear that did not have alighment on it that was *** good as teh dark/light gear.