Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

Vrumpt
12.25.2011 , 05:27 PM | #1
I'm only ever going to have 1 relic equipped on my character at any given time. Every relic has either a light side or dark side requirements aside from the ones that come from the datacron matrix assembler. 14 pages of relics on my server, and all of them have an alignment requirement.

This is my story; its the trademark advertisement slogan for SWTOR, yet it certainly seems like instead its the story Bioware is forcing me to play. There are only 2 right ways to play; a righteous light side hero, or a devious dark side murderer. Any other combination and you will be punished by being unable to access rewards, specifically the lack of an entire equipment slot. If you take the time to hunt down datacrons it will be only be one slot, but these datacrons are very tedious to reach and not every player will even know of them. For these people who decide to play the way they want to they will be down 2 equipment slots, because they didn't play the way they were forced to.

Its not even enough to have to add a neutral set of items, because that still forces the player to play one of 3 correct ways; dark, neutral or light. The entire concept of gear with any alignment requirement is counterproductive to the "play your own story" philosophy that SWTOR is based on and is being advertised as.

The entire concept of choice here is an illusion. Right now there is no choice, its either all dark or all light. The penalty for choosing otherwise is an entire equipment slot.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 05:31 PM | #2
Man, I completely agree, I've been going on about this forever but it seems to be getting such little attention. Neutral gear, or at least neutral relics need to be added stat!

The most interesting and unique part of this game is utterly broken if we're being punished for making our own decisions. This thread needs to stay on the front page along with other major issues like skill delay, etc. Bioware NEEDS to do something about this.

Screw more flashpoints and operations, fix the most important and innovative part of your game before you lose subscriptions from all the people like you and I who have made their own decisions and are punished for it.

MrTijger
12.25.2011 , 05:32 PM | #3
So, you basically want choices without consequences. Too bad you are asking for that in a game 100% based on the battle between dark and light.

Red_Vs_Blue
12.25.2011 , 05:33 PM | #4
BW said they will add more non-alignment gear. Furthermore, if you are playing this game with out picking a side, you are doing it wrong!
Ageoffan, lvl 50 Sith Warrior,Annihilation.
Server: Dreshdae Cantina
Guild: Legion of Fire

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 05:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MrTijger View Post
So, you basically want choices without consequences. Too bad you are asking for that in a game 100% based on the battle between dark and light.
Did you even read the OP?

He's talking about players being punished for playing the way Bioware intended you to.

Basically in order to not be gimped you need to currently pick the light side option every time, or the dark side option (My only choice is being a freaking goody-two-shoe saint, or an insane evil overlord?). Since this is the case why don't we forgo the option entirely and just designate a characters alignment during character creation, so lame >.<

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 05:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_Vs_Blue View Post
BW said they will add more non-alignment gear. Furthermore, if you are playing this game with out picking a side, you are doing it wrong!
Picking a side? So you just hit the top or bottom option every time?

If that's doing it wrong why are we given 3 options...?

CommanderAlpha
12.25.2011 , 05:36 PM | #7
Protip: If it bothers you that much, get Diplomacy as a mission skill. It lets you get more LS or DS points for endgame stuff.

Vrumpt
12.25.2011 , 05:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_Vs_Blue View Post
its not even about the gear anymore, its the fact that we are being punished for making our own decisions.

If you play as either all light or all dark, then you aren't making your own decisions; you are making the decisions you are supposed to make. They aren't your own, the are the right ones you are supposed to make because you have to choose them to get any positive rewards.

Ituhata
12.25.2011 , 05:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MrTijger View Post
Ah, but isn't there always a struggle between the light and the dark side for control of ones mind and heart?

I think certain rewards should be withheld based on a characters merit. After all, if you don't come to the darkside, you can't have any of my cookies. But I feel even fencesitters can make their own cookies.

Red_Vs_Blue
12.25.2011 , 05:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Latorn View Post
Picking a side? So you just hit the top or bottom option every time?

If that's doing it wrong why are we given 3 options...?
not every choice grants you points, and there is a fricken war going on. you don't stay neutral during a war. And all the choices are compelling, if you do not pick a side you are really just hurting yourself by restraining your natural character.
Ageoffan, lvl 50 Sith Warrior,Annihilation.
Server: Dreshdae Cantina
Guild: Legion of Fire