Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvPers on RP-PvE servers

Kellindell
12.13.2011 , 03:31 PM | #1
So me and some friends are hardcore PvPers, but we like to RP and find RP-PvP servers dont have as much RP. We also dont like the concept of things muddying up open world encounters like your 20 minute cooldown skill and companions. Its to much on top of the already massive amount of randoms like gear, companion gear, spec, what cooldowns do you have up aside from your 20 minute one etc...

We also have some people in our group who hate PvP, and since we are RL friends we want to play on a server that makes everyone happy.

So we are going regular RP, but our fear is being stuck with alot of non PvPers, and not seeing BG queus or activity on Illum.

I was wondering if any other PvPers were going to regular RP servers, and if so what server might be our best choice if we want to ensure we get a decent amount of PvP in.

If anyone could weigh in, that would be great.

Surberus
12.13.2011 , 03:36 PM | #2
You tend to find that people have hugely varied interests. I for one will be exclusively PVPing.

I've heard of a RP-PVP guild on republic and empire who are being deployed to Trask, so i'd imagine most RP servers have similar PVP focused guilds being deployed to them as well.

Overall, the only difference between PvP and PvE is not the players themselves, as you find just as many players enjoying RP/Operations/Warzones on either type of server; and only the game mechanics creating a difference, which on RP-PVP servers, as you've said, can sometimes conflict with RP enjoyment*.

*Some would dispute this, as sometimes the idea that your in enemy territory and may be attacked at any time changes the perspective and depth. You also tend not to suffer the Clown Outfit problem in TOR most of the time which makes using your own equipment / moddable gear effective in PVP/PVE without loss of RP sensibilities.
Your friendly neighbourhood space slug
TRASK ULGO

TugGray
12.13.2011 , 03:49 PM | #3
RP-PVP shouldn't be for casual RPers who mainly PVP it should be for RPers who casual PVP.

Rule of thumb deams if you want casual RP but prefer PVP then join a PVP server and only RP with your friends.

I hate the Dump of PVPers who come to RP-PVP servers thinking it's ok to be OOC all the time and casualy try to RP but gank the enemy when the mood swings that way.

it Ruins RP on these servers and makes them basicly sub standard PVP servers.
Hail the Order!

Surberus
12.13.2011 , 03:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TugGray View Post
RP-PVP shouldn't be for casual RPers who mainly PVP it should be for RPers who casual PVP.

Rule of thumb deams if you want casual RP but prefer PVP then join a PVP server and only RP with your friends.

I hate the Dump of PVPers who come to RP-PVP servers thinking it's ok to be OOC all the time and casualy try to RP but gank the enemy when the mood swings that way.

it Ruins RP on these servers and makes them basicly sub standard PVP servers.
In practice, a person should not be frowned upon or penalised for the amount of time they spend RPing by the people on a server.

Some people spend entire days RPing, then the next day entirely PVPing, depending on what their mood dictates. Sometimes the reverse, or something in between.
Your friendly neighbourhood space slug
TRASK ULGO

pirateorion
12.13.2011 , 03:59 PM | #5
We are actually in the same boat. We wanted an RP server, but enjoy PvP. It was the desire to have all our friends in one place that led us to an RP-PvE server. It probably doesn't help you much, but I've been testing out both RP-PvE servers for West Coast and so far Vrook Lamar seems to be the most mature.
Tasak/Orion/Luzan
Arbiter, Loremaster, and Master of Ceremonies for THE ORDER (Vrook Lamar)
Would you like to know more?

PrinceOmnius
12.13.2011 , 04:06 PM | #6
I like RP-PVP, it worked great in WoW (Defias Brotherhood), but it failed horribly in Rift and that kind of freaked me out.

I don't know yet how well SWTOR will do, I assume it will do a lot better then Rift and the betatest weekend I was in ran great. But after having seen how Firesand in Rift turned from a crowded server to a ghosttown in mere months I'm kind of freaked out.

TugGray
12.13.2011 , 04:06 PM | #7
hope it stays active RP on your server, I have played a few games where the RP-PVP servers just degraid to backwater pvp servers over time due to the lack of general RP the public shows.

my guild run a strict RP-PVP rule set where you can't OOC in general chat at all so no. if to many players OOC it feels like you have to hunt for any reasonable RP.
Hail the Order!

Kellindell
12.13.2011 , 04:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TugGray View Post
I dont agree with this. I PvP and RP equally, and with the highest quality I can. When people who only PvP casually come to Rp-PvP servers, it ticks me off.

TugGray
12.13.2011 , 04:27 PM | #9
well world pvp should be enabled for RP anyways it wouldn't feel realistic if republic and sith walk hand in hand in the parks
Hail the Order!

Kellindell
12.13.2011 , 05:54 PM | #10
I dont disagree with you, but from what I gather, you rarely see people open world anyway with the way the game is designed. Which I find annoying, but oh well.

Yes it would annoy me if a sith came up to me and /danced with me, but its more annoying to get exploded by someone with their DPS pet and 20 minute cooldown when I had my tank pet out because I was trying to solo some content.

I like PvP involving skill. One on one fights where one guy starts half health and the other has a bunch of CDs isnt skill, its variables introduced into an uncontrolled environment.

I can always go to tat or illum for that.

I just want to know if their are any like minded people out their, and if so what RP server they are taking.

Please dont derail the thread with personal opinions about how you think things should be, im just trying to make sure me and any other like minded people end up on the same servers so we get BG queus and good illum fights.