Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced AP PT guide

Benirons
08.31.2015 , 10:53 PM | #1
Hello this is not a Kwerty. I know there is a guide for DPS up on dulfy by him already, but having played AP extensively in PVE I think there r a couple of details missing that I would like to expand on in this one. I also do a few things differently than Kwerty (not that what he does is bad mind u, just a different approach of things XD).

I will not be covering the basics and general utility descriptions here, since Kwerty has done that already in great detail and no sense in fluffing words when its already covered. Look at this as a bit of extra instead of replacing the Kwerty guide completely.

Gearing:

Spoiler

Opener:

Spoiler

Rotational mechanics

Spoiler

Explosive dart (ED) use:

Spoiler

Double dotting
Spoiler

Videos

Spoiler

Tip for learning the rotation and keeping everything on cd:

Spoiler

Thanks for reading, I hope this was of some use to you!

Benirons
08.31.2015 , 10:54 PM | #2
Reserved

Vids r up, slight error at start in double dotting version.

TACeMossie
08.31.2015 , 11:15 PM | #3
Always good to have extra guides out there for those who want to run with the old set bonus. Alas, its usefulness will be going down even more with 4.0, and while technically the auto-crit can be considered devalued due to battle focus, in practice Battle Focus will always be up at the same time as an auto-crit is available, so the smart people use the auto-crit EB, THEN pop battle focus.

I give it my +0.9. Slightly lower than +1 because the grammer could be better

As for possible disagreements:

Your opener - sure you don't waste any stacks of energy lodes, but important things to remember:

1. In an actual raid, the boss doesn't come with an armor debuff + susceptible debuff, so you miss out on those for your EB by going with your opener

2. A loss of an energy lode is approximately 62% of your DPS in terms of a hit in damage lost - so if you're doing 5k dps, that's ~3.1k lost. And thats assuming the bonus crit granted by the auto-crit.

However, the alternative you provided loses 1 GCD of rail shot and 1 GCD of TD, with the rail shot being worth about 50% of your possible DPS in terms of hits. Ok, bad example, but then we add in the losses from susceptible + sundered + 2% damage, and we end up with a loss of ~78% of your DPS in damage instead (5k dps = 3900 damage, or 800 Damage worse than just delaying the EB).

In the end though, this is just nitpicking. I do like the extra resources granted by the new set bonus. It might not seem like much, but thanks to all the alacrity I run I tend to end up with 73 energy (27 heat) right as I'm about to rocket punch, and without the new set bonus I'd end up in the lower regen zone - so it wouldn't cost me 2 ammo (2 heat), but rather 4.

P.S. I loved your old Rage/Focus guide
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

Benirons
08.31.2015 , 11:31 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
Always good to have extra guides out there for those who want to run with the old set bonus. Alas, its usefulness will be going down even more with 4.0, and while technically the auto-crit can be considered devalued due to battle focus, in practice Battle Focus will always be up at the same time as an auto-crit is available, so the smart people use the auto-crit EB, THEN pop battle focus.

I give it my +0.9. Slightly lower than +1 because the grammer could be better

As for possible disagreements:

Your opener - sure you don't waste any stacks of energy lodes, but important things to remember:

1. In an actual raid, the boss doesn't come with an armor debuff + susceptible debuff, so you miss out on those for your EB by going with your opener

2. A loss of an energy lode is approximately 62% of your DPS in terms of a hit in damage lost - so if you're doing 5k dps, that's ~3.1k lost. And thats assuming the bonus crit granted by the auto-crit.

However, the alternative you provided loses 1 GCD of rail shot and 1 GCD of TD, with the rail shot being worth about 50% of your possible DPS in terms of hits. Ok, bad example, but then we add in the losses from susceptible + sundered + 2% damage, and we end up with a loss of ~78% of your DPS in damage instead (5k dps = 3900 damage, or 800 Damage worse than just delaying the EB).

In the end though, this is just nitpicking. I do like the extra resources granted by the new set bonus. It might not seem like much, but thanks to all the alacrity I run I tend to end up with 73 energy (27 heat) right as I'm about to rocket punch, and without the new set bonus I'd end up in the lower regen zone - so it wouldn't cost me 2 ammo (2 heat), but rather 4.

P.S. I loved your old Rage/Focus guide
Thanks for the quick input Kwerty!!

About the grammer, sorry thought I proof read it for typoes .

I expected lots of technicalities from you :P Good points about the opener really. In a raid scenario gotta remember that u have 3 dps mates in 8m and they also have all their debuffs applied too. So say an MM sniper should have armour debuff up by the time u EB. Personal preference really, I don't think much of EB too much, I like my RS better :P

I just put this up so still need to add some lil things as they come to mind, ur resource management comment reminded me of something that I will add now.

Awww thanks for liking that old rage focus guide :P

As for guide being late, its because I was away for a couple of months and I normally don't sub either. I have access now cause I clicked a random referral link hehe, so decided to throw this up here while I can and it is still relevant content wise.

P.S: Can u expand on that using EB first then pop explosive fuel comment? I think Fuel wont be around long enough for a second EB, will it? Im a bit confused

TACeMossie
09.01.2015 , 12:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Benirons View Post
Thanks for the quick input Kwerty!!

About the grammer, sorry thought I proof read it for typoes .

I expected lots of technicalities from you :P Good points about the opener really. In a raid scenario gotta remember that u have 3 dps mates in 8m and they also have all their debuffs applied too. So say an MM sniper should have armour debuff up by the time u EB. Personal preference really, I don't think much of EB too much, I like my RS better :P

I just put this up so still need to add some lil things as they come to mind, ur resource management comment reminded me of something that I will add now.

Awww thanks for liking that old rage focus guide :P

As for guide being late, its because I was away for a couple of months and I normally don't sub either. I have access now cause I clicked a random referral link hehe, so decided to throw this up here while I can and it is still relevant content wise.

P.S: Can u expand on that using EB first then pop explosive fuel comment? I think Fuel wont be around long enough for a second EB, will it? Im a bit confused
It was more a case of Explosive Fuel would still get 100% uptime on abilities (instead of having some time wasted on an auto-crit), though it is true you lose a little bit of benefit out of it by not getting an EB under it.

As for raid composition, with the fights i'm on right now (Revan + Cora) our slinger's running DF, whenever we bring a mando they're in AS, and no one in our raid teams play a DPS Scoundrel (Susceptible) or a DPS Guardian/Sentinel/Shadow (Sundered).

And the non-progression fights I run plasmatech because its more fun (IMO) :P
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

Benirons
09.01.2015 , 01:08 AM | #6
Ur quite right about the raid comps there, flexbility is important in that regard, and we all should be a nice dps and try to do the best we can for our fellow dps mates, eh? :P