Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide Request]: In depth guide for Ship Roles and Responsibilities

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
[Guide Request]: In depth guide for Ship Roles and Responsibilities

Archonitek
08.12.2015 , 10:05 PM | #1
I would like to have a guide available for new pilots that will give easy to read points on the roles and responsibilities of each ship load out for both domination matches and team death matches.

Most of the guides that are available on forums (such as the Stasiepedia, Drakolich's videos or Sriia's Rookie Guide) are usually most focused on components and the mechanics of flying rather than how a pilot should fly in relation to the game mode and what ships to bring out depending on the situation. I think we can all agree that there is nothing more irritating than seeing a cloud of green blips floating around between two satellites trying to shoot down a single scout while A is being capped and B is already gone.

Being mainly a T1 scout pilot I think it would be better if more renowned/experienced forum members/pilots decided to write this up, especially since they would give more insight into flying ships that I would miss (e.g Despon/Mikaboshi on gunships, Drakolich on bombers). I believe the ideal format should be as follows:

Weakness: Requires sustained line of sight to inflict maximum damage, killing enemies on objectives, fragile

TDM Role:
  • Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber hunter
  • Flanker

Dom Role:
  • Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber interceptor
  • First on satellite to secure objective
  • First on satellite to stall enemy capture and delay until teammates arrive

Responibility: Killing exposed gunships and bombers, especially before they've set up. Utilizing Shield to Engine Converter to outflank the other team and do hit and run attacks.

When to use: Heavy amount of enemy gunships. General purpose dogfighting.

Solo Fitness: While capable of putting out large numbers in terms of damage and kills, the Blackbolt/Novadive is often overshadowed by the Sting/Flashfire T2 Scout. Due to its lack of Distortion Field's Evasion buff and Burst Laser Cannon's burst damage, the T1 should be used once a pilot has become more experienced with the intricacies of
GSF and is looking for something a bit different to fly.

Group Fitness: Similar to solo fitness, the T1 Scout will rarely make or break a match. Performance will be largely based on pilot skill and experience.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. And please don't turn this thread into a 'remove gunships' thread that every thread around seems to turn into lol
Eclipse Squadron - Cedwic/Eclipse-seven - Pilot - The Ebon Hawk
Nova Squadron - Zemelda - Lieutenant - The Ebon Hawk
Red Squadron - Teerayne - Senior Spaceman - The Harbinger

caederon
08.12.2015 , 10:52 PM | #2
BAN GUNSHIPS! REMOVE SCRUBSHIPS!!! 0 SKILLL!!! ... oh, wait.

Ship:Mangler/Quarrel (T1 Gunship)
Key Component: T4 Ion Railgun (area damage), T5 Ion Railgun (either)
Strength: Range, Area Ion Damage, Anti-armor Slug damage
Weakness: Very fragile when attacked by enemy scouts. Mobility is somewhat limited.

TDM Role:
  • Weaken close-packed groups of enemies
  • Destroy bomber munitions / bombers
  • Pick off anything with low health

Dom Role:
  • Destroy bomber munitions around satellites and roust entrenched bombers
  • Weaken close-packed groups of enemies around satellites
  • Defend satellites in close with BLC when pressure is heavy
  • Destroy turrets when your team is attacking an enemy held satellite
  • Destroy targets of opportunity when primary roles are fulfilled

Responsibility: Support your team by clearing areas of dangerous munitions and by weakening groups of enemies. Kills are a secondary concern to ensuring your team has the advantage when engaging weakened enemies. You are also responsible for getting on top of friendly satellites if they are in danger of falling. Set power to shields, fly evasively, and use Burst Laser Cannon to defend that satellite and hold out until more help arrives.
When to use: In any engagement as part of a balanced team, particularly when the enemy fields a large number of bombers.

Solo Fitness: The T1 gs is always useful to have on your bar because of its utility, but its survivability is questionable when solo-queuing into an inexperienced team. Experienced enemy pilots will easily focus down even an expert T1 gs pilot if there are no other threats to occupy their attention. An experienced T1 gs pilot can carry a match if both sides are of roughly equal intermediate or lesser experience.

Group Fitness: T1 gs are very powerful in a group setting. A coordinated group of 2 scouts, 1 T1 gs, and a T1 bomber is a formidable configuration in Domination matches. In TDM, substitute the T2 bomber for the T1. Scouts should be ready to offer the gunship support if it comes under fire.

___

I'd also do T2 Gunship, but it has no role and people should not use it.

Vexxial is better suited to tackle the T3 Gunship than I am, though if he doesn't catch this thread, I'll write it up.

Despon

Magira
08.13.2015 , 03:10 AM | #3
Very useful, thanks.

A step further would be discussing an entire hangar.

What is missing is solo and group fitness at the individual ships.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

Lavaar
08.13.2015 , 07:32 AM | #4
Thanks for having faith in me despon! I can step up to the plate on this one, however, my build is widely considered to be an oddball one that makes a brazen attempt to challenge conventional logic. That being said, I will try to write this as a general guide to the ship's role, without referencing the specific strengths of each build, which I believe if done for every ship would miss OP's original intention.

Ship: Condor/Jurgoran (T3 Gunship)
Key Component: Slug railgun (T4 accuracy upgrade, T3 Armor pierce upgrade), Missiles
Strength: Range, Anti-armor Slug damage, Maneuverability(compared to other gunships), Limited dogfighting capability
Weakness: Lack of ion railgun, Fragile when caught by surprise, Lack of AoE capability, Lack of ion railgun

TDM Role:
  • Cover - Engagement with other gunships
  • Flanking - Greater maneuverability means better positions to catch enemies off-guard
  • Cracking - Penetration of heavily armored targets
  • Infiltration - Ability to operate with a greater degree of autonomy than the quarrel
  • Reduction - Destroying low-health targets
  • Projection - Securing a safe zone for the team

Dom Role:
  • Cover - Providing protection against other gunships around the nodes
  • Flanking - Can take up positions above or below satellites to clear them of reds
  • Cracking - Penetrating heavily armored targets, including bombers and turrets
  • Infiltration - Can often take nodes alone without assistance, regardless of the class currently defending
  • Reduction - Destroying low-health targets on the node, allowing your scouts to focus on more important targets
  • Projection - Keeping the area around the sat secure and hit approaching targets on their way in

Responsibility: Securing the battle zone and drawing the lines of battle around areas of interest (utilization of physical cover is very important for this). Scouting for other gunships and flanking opportunities. Operating independently to take the off satellite or to take out stragglers. Engaging in limited dogfights when facing close up enemy fighters. Destroying armored bomber craft.

When to use: Flexible and can be used in most situations, but should NOT be used when ion AoE will help clear a sat, or a bomber (preferably with a beacon) would be more useful to you. Is a very solid gunship to use when solo queing, as it is less reliant on team support (*thanks to sithace for this additional point).

Additional Notes(Optional Read!): Proper power management is key to making this ship work, and if used properly it can be a very independent gunship, able to handle a wider variety of situations that come your way than other gunships. However, the utility is greatly reduced by the lack of ion railgun, and so is its ability to deal with multiple targets at range the way ion can. Additionally, it can be at a disadvantage in gunship duels due to the lack of ion as a debilitating shot, however, there are ways to escape this situation. The inclusion of BLC (and reg. lasers) as well as two varieties of quick-fire missiles allow this ship some flexibility when dealing with enemies that come within 5000m, and the armor piercing slug can finish off fleeing enemies as well as securing an area for your team to operate within. The ship has many excellent components available for use, and different combinations of them can produce results which have the potential to catch your opponents off guard.

I think this is a good thread, props to OP for the idea.

SithAceI
08.13.2015 , 02:12 PM | #5
Excellent write up Vexx!

The only thing I would add is the type 3 GS is generally "the" solo q gunship option.
Skywallkr Sithace, Sithace-one and Super Secret Alts!
Harbinger, Red Eclipse, JC, TEH and Shadowlands
"I don't know..... fly casual"

DakhathKilrathi
08.13.2015 , 04:50 PM | #6
This thread's a great idea.

Despon, your Gunship post is solid, but I feel you've left out a couple things regarding TDM. I'm working on a version of my own, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be stepping on any toes by posting it here. Do you mind if I add my own take on T1 GS?

caederon
08.13.2015 , 05:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
Despon, your Gunship post is solid, but I feel you've left out a couple things regarding TDM. I'm working on a version of my own, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be stepping on any toes by posting it here. Do you mind if I add my own take on T1 GS?
Go for it. Having some different perspectives on various ships is worthwhile.

It may be worth noting that I de-emphasized the T1gs role as a primary ship-killer in TDM (which may be your take on it, if I had to guess) because I felt that particular role is generally only suited to very experienced pilots and that beginner to intermediate pilots would better help their team by offering more support.

I think that eventually when the bases are sufficiently covered, Cedwic should merge all the ship types into the initial post, consolidating any alternate perspectives, and spoiler-tag them kind of like the records thread does.

Despon

MaximilianPower
08.13.2015 , 06:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
This thread's a great idea.

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing, and I suspect your version will reflect my thoughts as well. I'll wait to see your post.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Linuxizer
08.13.2015 , 11:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Archonitek View Post
Ship: Blackbolt/Novadive (T1 Scout)
Key Component: T1 Rocket Pods, T2 Shield to Engine Converter, Targeting Telemetry
Strength: Speed, hits hard
Weakness: Requires line of sight to inflict maximum damage, killing enemies on objectives, fragile
TDM Role:
  • Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber hunter
  • Flanker
Dom Role:
  • Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber hunter
  • First on satellite to secure objective
  • First on satellite to stall enemy capture and delay until teammates arrive
Responibility: Killing exposed gunships and bombers, especially before they've set up. Utilizing Shield to Engine Converter to outflank the other team and do hit and run attacks.
When to use: Heavy amount of enemy gunships
This is a great idea, since the in-game ship descriptions are a fun read but also hilariously misleading to new pilots.

I have a few thoughts on your take on the T1 Scout. While everything there is fine in isolation, I would probably de-emphasizes certain items for better context in comparison to the other ships.

When you say line of sight do you mean centering your shots? Since every weapon on every ship except the Ion Railgun requires line of sight, it doesn't seem like a weakness to me. On the other hand, the need to center your shots, while also applicable to most weapons, is a big differentiation to the T2 Scout, which is the most similar ship. So perhaps "greater effective weapon range compared to T2 Scout with BLC" is a strength, and "higher tracking penalty compared to T2 Scout with BLC" is a weakness, but that is a bit long-winded

The T1 Scout is generally poor at hunting bombers in Domination (only better than the T3 Scout and T3 Strike), though destroying enemy bombers is a priority in Domination and everyone should try to contribute to that. It may be better to say "assist in bomber hunting" and hopefully that will give the new pilots a more realistic goal. On the other hand, it is moderately effective against Strikes and Scouts. So the T1 Scout is actually the jack of all trades and master of none.
The Lightsaber-jerk

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jBHrWL

zaskar
08.13.2015 , 11:58 PM | #10
This is in the works @ gsf.huttspawn.com --- in fact I was just working on art for part of this very guide. Expect it in a week or so.