Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting changes come October

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting changes come October

CougarHunter
08.10.2015 , 12:28 PM | #1
We have been told that there will be changes to the crafting system. My big worry is that I am going to lose all of the rare schematics that I spent millions of credits getting. I like knowing that I can craft items that are no longer available in the game. Will we be losing those?

psandak
08.10.2015 , 12:31 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by CougarHunter View Post
We have been told that there will be changes to the crafting system. My big worry is that I am going to lose all of the rare schematics that I spent millions of credits getting. I like knowing that I can craft items that are no longer available in the game. Will we be losing those?
If history is any indication the answer is no. exhibit A is the crafted War Hero PvP gear. The schematics were removed from the game but those who had them already can still craft them.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Storm-Cutter
08.10.2015 , 01:06 PM | #3
Exhibit B: >2000 forum posts about contraband slot machine and crafting mats drop rates.

Lesson: Annoy crafters at your peril, BW!
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

WolfyZack
08.13.2015 , 09:18 AM | #4
If I have understood everything correctly, you choose if you want your toons to go through to the new story line. So your crafters don't need to be there for everything under 60.
Though they will be useless in some other way.. the new level cap will be 70. In other words new mats and schematics are to be expected and to craft for the end game you'll need to be apart of that. Though I don't know if they will **** things up (change) in the whole general game or just in the scope of 61-70. So lets pretend its just within those level, what they will changing to the crafting system with in within 61-70 you may be forced in there with them if the actuall crafter is needed to gather stuff. Otherwise its just to feed the crafters who stands out side at lv 60.
New player who wants to try swtor? get a free starters bundle pack!
or have been away 90+ days and thinking coming back?

get 7 days subcription, a bundle pack and a free transfer! click here

Mdgshorty
08.13.2015 , 06:05 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by WolfyZack View Post
If I have understood everything correctly, you choose if you want your toons to go through to the new story line. So your crafters don't need to be there for everything under 60.
Though they will be useless in some other way.. the new level cap will be 70. In other words new mats and schematics are to be expected and to craft for the end game you'll need to be apart of that. Though I don't know if they will **** things up (change) in the whole general game or just in the scope of 61-70. So lets pretend its just within those level, what they will changing to the crafting system with in within 61-70 you may be forced in there with them if the actuall crafter is needed to gather stuff. Otherwise its just to feed the crafters who stands out side at lv 60.
Actually the new level cap will be 65 not 70.

Kortrell
08.14.2015 , 07:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by WolfyZack View Post
From the limited description, it sounds as if this "expansion" is more like a new version of the game, more like going from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. So, if you send your character five years into the future, there is no coming back or interacting or exchanging materials with other characters in your legacy. That would mean that your level 62 cybertech won't be able craft new mods for your level 53 character because you are effectively playing in an entirely new game. Or, your scavenger would not be able to get the metals and compounds your cybertech or armormech needs anymore.

If there is no coming back, then In order to replace the lost skills from your legacy, you would have to create another character, and go through all those expensive missions, acquire schematics, reverse engineer, etc. I don't know how many players who craft and who have been through it once will want to take the time to run a new character through that all over again just to get those high-ranking crew skillls back into the legacy.

The obvious difference between Mass Effect and SWTOR is that you played only one character in Mass Effect, while in SWTOR you play a legacy -- a team of characters that are mutually dependent based on the distribution of crew skills. With only five new levels to play, taking the Mass Effect route could be SWTOR''s version of the "New Coke" blunder.

I hope I am wrong.

psandak
08.14.2015 , 08:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kortrell View Post
From the limited description, it sounds as if this "expansion" is more like a new version of the game, more like going from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. So, if you send your character five years into the future, there is no coming back or interacting or exchanging materials with other characters in your legacy. That would mean that your level 62 cybertech won't be able craft new mods for your level 53 character because you are effectively playing in an entirely new game. Or, your scavenger would not be able to get the metals and compounds your cybertech or armormech needs anymore.

If there is no coming back, then In order to replace the lost skills from your legacy, you would have to create another character, and go through all those expensive missions, acquire schematics, reverse engineer, etc. I don't know how many players who craft and who have been through it once will want to take the time to run a new character through that all over again just to get those high-ranking crew skillls back into the legacy.

The obvious difference between Mass Effect and SWTOR is that you played only one character in Mass Effect, while in SWTOR you play a legacy -- a team of characters that are mutually dependent based on the distribution of crew skills. With only five new levels to play, taking the Mass Effect route could be SWTOR''s version of the "New Coke" blunder.

I hope I am wrong.
You are wrong...

All the stories in SWTOR start at relatively the same moment in time (shortly after the Treaty of Coruscant). So from a strict temporal standpoint, unless ALL your characters are level 60 and went through EVERY planet's main story (be it class or faction), then each character exists in a different point on the continuum between starter planets and Ziost. So even if KotFE jumps ahead several years the temporal paradox that is one's legacy remains the same.

That being said, I do have a small fear that progressing beyond 500 crew skills is going to require at least starting the KotFE story. Not saying I think it will happen, I am saying that it would not surprise me if it did.
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Kortrell
08.15.2015 , 12:03 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
You are wrong...

All the stories in SWTOR start at relatively the same moment in time (shortly after the Treaty of Coruscant). So from a strict temporal standpoint, unless ALL your characters are level 60 and went through EVERY planet's main story (be it class or faction), then each character exists in a different point on the continuum between starter planets and Ziost. So even if KotFE jumps ahead several years the temporal paradox that is one's legacy remains the same.

That being said, I do have a small fear that progressing beyond 500 crew skills is going to require at least starting the KotFE story. Not saying I think it will happen, I am saying that it would not surprise me if it did.
To clarify, my reference to "legacy" was not some imagined theorhetical temporal paradox that occurs within of a massively multiplayer game design, but as a practical reference to the specific set of characters in an account. These characters can use the same legacy storage or email to each other, enabling them to exchange both the materials and products of crafting. With previous expansions, characters did not forget how to make those items when they advanced into the expansions nor were they denied access to those materials or the ability to transfer their products to other characters in their legacy. The specific topic that I raised is the possibility that such conveniences that legacies now enjoy would be severed by the mechanics of this new "expansion."

The only way one could possibly know if I am wrong today is if one possessed inside information. Otherwise, until the developers make further disclosure, its seems fair to say that we are going to have to wait to see what is right and wrong.

To be more precise, I hope I will be wrong.

Psychopyro
08.15.2015 , 04:42 AM | #9
What I expect will happen, given the very sparse info we have from gamescom....

All stats game wide will be changed, which means any recipes with stats will have those recipes either removed or changed based on the new stats. Any recipes that were craftable modded armor (empty shells), will be converted to adaptable gear.

Adaptive planetary nodes will have a level on the node similar to how it is now. However if you are below that level, you will still be able to harvest the node, it will just scale down the resources in it to what you can use.

You will still be able to go back and visit old planets and gather mats from there. You will still be able to craft for alts. You will still be able to craft for conquest.

Think of the crafting system like the changes to the combat system with 3.0. While those were touted as part of the expansion, they were still part changed overall as part of the core game. Crafting should work exactly the same way in that regard.

psandak
08.15.2015 , 06:31 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kortrell View Post
To clarify, my reference to "legacy" was not some imagined theorhetical temporal paradox that occurs within of a massively multiplayer game design, but as a practical reference to the specific set of characters in an account. These characters can use the same legacy storage or email to each other, enabling them to exchange both the materials and products of crafting. With previous expansions, characters did not forget how to make those items when they advanced into the expansions nor were they denied access to those materials or the ability to transfer their products to other characters in their legacy. The specific topic that I raised is the possibility that such conveniences that legacies now enjoy would be severed by the mechanics of this new "expansion."

The only way one could possibly know if I am wrong today is if one possessed inside information. Otherwise, until the developers make further disclosure, its seems fair to say that we are going to have to wait to see what is right and wrong.

To be more precise, I hope I will be wrong.
You missed my point. Your fear is that because there will be several years of separation between those characters in KotFE and those not that there will be actual separation in that they will not be "allowed" to interact through legacy. I am saying that all your characters already are separated by time and therefore that additional separation is a non-factor. Furthermore it would TRULY SUCK if crafters in KotFE could not provide equipment to new characters who do have to level the traditional way.