Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Cybertech] Crafting With 12exp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Cybertech] Crafting With 12exp

Bookworm_Jedi
07.27.2015 , 08:02 AM | #1
My IA toon just hit fleet and was going to take the CT skill.

But that lovely 12xexp means I'll basically out level anything I make. So is it worth it? Unless I just use the skill to sell, and craft gear for my alts?

jojobanutz
07.27.2015 , 08:17 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Bookworm_Jedi View Post
My IA toon just hit fleet and was going to take the CT skill.

But that lovely 12xexp means I'll basically out level anything I make. So is it worth it? Unless I just use the skill to sell, and craft gear for my alts?
Personally I always develop my crafting skills so I can use what I make on the char with the skill. I know it's not 'efficient', but it's just how I like to play

It's doable even if you have no alts, however if you do have higher level alts, just have them send all the required mats etc to your new char.

Also, if you can, grab Treek, that gives you another crew member early with which to do your gathering, reversing etc. Max her affection, do the same with the ship droid as soon as you can and give him one of the legacy crafting sensors.

I've never used Treek for actual missions in fact, she just sits and crafts etc on all my chars ships!
New or returning Player? Click my referral link for some goodies:
http://www.swtor.com/r/2j5Scb

Referrals explained: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

psandak
07.27.2015 , 08:22 AM | #3
With 12x XP AND increased basic comms rewards from class mission quests AND costs of comms armorings and hilts/barrels being reduced (from 7 to 2) - in my opinion - it is not worth leveling cybertech (or any crafting skill) while leveling your character to craft stuff for that character to use.

That is VERY different than using an existing cybertech to craft stuff to use on a new character (even then I personally do not bother because I have so many basic comms across my level capped characters that I use comms gear regardless; but that is only a personal preference)
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

DawnAskham
07.27.2015 , 08:30 AM | #4
DO NOT level a crafting skill to gear a character while leveling.

DO level a crafting skill to make credits.

Bookworm_Jedi
07.27.2015 , 08:49 AM | #5
I saw that.... I may just swap and go back to gathering

Her counterpart, my sabo slinger has really high biochem...around 230ish or so.... I could send extra mats from that toon

jojobanutz
07.27.2015 , 09:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
DO NOT level a crafting skill to gear a character while leveling.

DO level a crafting skill to make credits.
Although I understand where you're coming from with this response (Creds / Efficiency), I disagree that's it's the only way to go

Crafting 'worth' is purely subjective really, and down to whatever we personally value.

Myself, I like the feeling of crafting and equipping my chars as they go, and overall 'efficiency' isn't too important to me.

So long as people are getting what they themselves value out of crafting, then there's really no right or wrong way to go about it.

New or returning Player? Click my referral link for some goodies:
http://www.swtor.com/r/2j5Scb

Referrals explained: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Diviciacus
07.27.2015 , 09:33 AM | #7
Even without x12, the gear you could buy for comms was better than the green-quality garbage you can craft while leveling. However, as long as you're fastidious about gathering relevant nodes, you shouldn't have much - if any - trouble leveling your crafting along with your toon.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

asbalana
07.27.2015 , 09:58 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bookworm_Jedi View Post
I saw that.... I may just swap and go back to gathering

Her counterpart, my sabo slinger has really high biochem...around 230ish or so.... I could send extra mats from that toon
My advice has always been to start with CT, UT, and Scav and level as you go. The logic is that you can earn credits through mat and mod/arm/ear sales, gear yourself as you go, and when you are done with the character you have a crafter to support the next guys/gals through. It has served me well over the past when starting on a new server.

I am not so sure now. Indeed you out level what you can craft quickly that CT is useless to the character that you are leveling. One gets so many comms (especially if you do a few side quests or heroics) that you need not craft any mods or armoring . I have two level 500 CTs and don't remember the last time that I actually crafted a mod or armoring for my own use. If you can earn enough along the way to buy the ears, you are golden.

Although there are some sales of mods/armoring at most levels the market is nto vibrant to say the least. Also if you have the mats and a 60 you can power level CT in a day or two.

But things will change pretty soon (Oct). We will be looking at 12X being gone and a new expansion with (hopefully) crafting requirements. We will be looking (hopefully) at new people coming in who will be leveling alts after their first free 60. No one knows what is going to happen with the comms. It may do you well to have a 60 CT with the ability to craft all levels of blues when that happens.

Best to you and enjoy your play.

GlassmanA
07.27.2015 , 12:26 PM | #9
Simple, keep cybertech and use the green patterns to gear comps. Save comms for level 60.

MSchuyler
07.27.2015 , 01:23 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
Even without x12, the gear you could buy for comms was better than the green-quality garbage you can craft while leveling. However, as long as you're fastidious about gathering relevant nodes, you shouldn't have much - if any - trouble leveling your crafting along with your toon.
You use "green quality garbage" to RE into blues and even purples. My Cybertech is busy crafting 178 and 186 gear, so, yeah, I do think it's useful. Along with artifice for enhancements, hilts, and relics, and with Bio for implants, and add armstech for barrels, and you can completely outfit a 178. And of you want to pay the freight since materials get expensive, do 186 as well.
In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience. -- Oscar Wilde