Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feeling ripped off

MycroftMacarthur
12.13.2011 , 04:46 PM | #21
i dont know about the rest of you guys but i pre ordered my copy of tor pretty late (beginning of december) and i have a few things to say based upon what i have dealt with so far and what i have been hearing all over the forums so far

yes, it is certainly true that they said "up to five days" in the fine print, they even extended it up to 7 days when they didnt have to which should be considered nice of them, the 5 dollar fee we paid for pre ordering only entitles us to a pre-order and NOT to early game access and it is also certainly fair that the people who pre ordered first should get to go in first, why should i get to go before guys who paid for their pre order back in july or september?

there are however, a few issues.

i pre ordered the game under the assumption that i would get to go in near instantly when early game access hit, NONE of the advertisements for the pre orders said "up to five days", they simply said "early game access" or "five days", i assumed bioware had a reasonable expectation of how many people would be trying to play so they would have servers ready to go and that they could handle the load, in addition the extra two days is a real bonus.

for some

its only really two extra days of early game access if you actually receive said two days and for everyone else it may as well not have happened at all (for many of us we wont even get five), based upon the various reports im hearing i may be looking at not getting in until the 19th and even then for an hour at most, i may not receive any early game access at ALL, had i known this would be the case i would simply have not pre ordered SWTOR, i would have bought a game which is already out such as the new Saints Row and i would have waited until my next paycheck, bought the game then and played without all the hassle, said early game access is the only real motivation for pre ordering and i doubt i am the only person who ordered my copy as late as december.

but wait, there are those who would argue that the entire point of pre ordering is so the game is delivered directly to your house or guaranteeing you wont have to deal with running to a store only to find out they ran out of copies, the problem however is that now we have digital download which is essentially INCAPABLE of running out of supply (you cant run out of internet), digital download is typically faster, safer and cheaper then storebought copies and i for one almost never buy things in stores anymore unless it is something physical like food or electronics and so on, what this means is that save for the aforementioned early game access, pre ordering is essentially pointless, so far it feels like they charged me five bucks just for the sake of taking my five bucks and im not getting or going to be getting anything for it.

i do not mind the waiting, i can be a very patient man when i need to be (and it does appear this is one case where i will simply have to be), had i never known about the early game access (or that it had been extended by two days for some people) i would simply have gone about my day to day until the 20th and played then, for me however the lack of communication has been a serious issue, they made sure to email me to make sure i knew early game access would begin on the 13th at 7:00 AM but they did not send similar emails stating that it was going to be staggered or that it was EXTREMELY unlikely i would be getting in today and they CERTAINLY never said that early game access was only for SOME people, i was up at 5:00 in the morning waiting to get in and ultimately never did, had they simply worded the email differently, sent out the aforementioned emails or simply gave me a real answer as to when i would actually be getting in i wouldnt have gotten my hopes up and i could just have done something else until my time came, as was the case it feels like they purposefully wasted my time for their pure amusement.

in fact i've yet to see bioware give us ANYTHING resembling a real answer, i am seeing alot of should be's, could be's, would be's and maybe's, just the usual corporate bull****, is it THAT much to ask for a real answer? could EVERYONE be in by the 15th? will i be looking at being in at least a full 24 hours on the 19th or is my "early game access" going to at most be 30 minutes to an hour? if i at least knew when i could reasonably expect to be in the game the waiting would be ALOT easier to deal with and i know i am not the only one who feels that way.

so far this whole thing feels extremely dishonest to me and on some levels like false advertising, if they would just give us some real answers in regards to our issues i for one truly believe we could wait more easily, there are other serious issues which they havent commented on either, what about all these people who pre ordered through origin but their product codes arent showing up on their account page? i know im one of them and that feels like a real issue they SHOULD attend to right now since that probably does fall under what customer service is for, i've been waiting to see them respond to one of those threads in the (apparently vain) hopes that they respond, as is the case it seems like it'll be a long wait for that too.

i do concede that ALOT of people are being more whiney then is appropriate but you really cannot be suprised that people were going to be pissed given the serious lack of information and communication as well as the way they have handled this situation in general, as is the case we certainly have every right to be pissed off, many other people are having the same issues i am and likely feel the same way, people who are not in the "Chosen Few" of any group always tend to be very jealous and angry regarding those who are, if they had said this was only for SOME people at least we could have given up earlier and gone on with the rest of our week, instead they got our hopes up over what is ultimately unrealistic as hell? many of us planned our whole day around this, now what are we supposed to do for the rest of the WEEK? not day, week.

its petty to believe that people shouldnt be angry when they have a right to be, thats like buying a car when the warantee says it may work for UP to five years, only for it to break down five minutes out of the parking lot, "we never said it would last you, only that it MIGHT"

those are my two cents on the matter, coming into this i genuinely believed bioware was the real deal and could do no wrong, this is a lesson i will take to heart when it comes time to pre order mass effect 3, if they hadnt gotten my hopes up and told me from the beginning i shouldnt expect to get in on the early game access i wouldnt mind so much but as is the case...

Jogalot
12.13.2011 , 04:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Adawn View Post
I decided to buy the collectors edition pre-order. A LONG TIME AGO.
I wanted to get it for early access. Which at first sounded just like beta access.
Once i figure that out i didn't care much. Then, my dad got beta and he didn't even buy
the collectors edition.
Now, i payed 150$. To some that isn't much. To me that is a ton. Especially for a video game.
I was willing to spend it though for the nice items. But now i get on and find out i didn't get early access yet. What is this? The people who pay the most don't get anything?
There will be trolls and what not but seriously. I payed 150$! i want my early access as soon as the servers are up.
haha to funny to read

YurikArkady
12.13.2011 , 04:48 PM | #23
It really should..

No it shouldn't.
Quote: Originally Posted by Telvannis View Post
Grey viable?

All I know is my gut says maybe.

Mordrehl
12.13.2011 , 04:49 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Drunk_wookie View Post
/entitled?

They TOLD you Early Access was by WHEN you pre-ordered, not which edition.
Specifically, they told us Early Access was based on when we entered our pre-order code on our account @ swtor.com

Nitpicking I know

I survived the release date speculation thread

Mordrehl
12.13.2011 , 04:53 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MycroftMacarthur View Post

there are however, a few issues.

i pre ordered the game under the assumption that i would get to go in near instantly when early game access hit, NONE of the advertisements for the pre orders said "up to five days", they simply said "early game access" or "five days", i assumed bioware had a reasonable expectation of how many people would be trying to play so they would have servers ready to go and that they could handle the load, in addition the extra two days is a real bonus.
It has been known, since Preorders were announced that Early Access would be staggered and that you would get in based on when you registered your pre-order code. Your own statement shows the failure ... you ASSUMED something other than what they were clearly telling us for 4+ months

From July 21st

http://www.ea.com/news/pre-order-sta...and-play-early

For fans of Star Wars, waiting for The Old Republic might be just one step above unbearable. Lucky for you, now is your chance to play early. Electronic Arts, BioWare and LucasArts are excited to announce that you can pre-order Star Wars: The Old Republic now to get early game access and as an added bonus youíll receive a Color Stone to change your weapon effect! Supplies are limited and the order in which you pre-order and redeem your code at The Old Republicís Code Redemption Center is the order in which players are let in during Early Game Access - so donít delay! Visit the Pre-Order FAQs for more details.

I survived the release date speculation thread

Couchmonkey
12.13.2011 , 04:56 PM | #26
I wanted to get it for early access. Which at first sounded just like beta access.
Once i figure that out i didn't care much. Then, my dad got beta and he didn't even buy
the collectors edition.
Now, i payed 150$. To some that isn't much. To me that is a ton. Especially for a video game.
I was willing to spend it though for the nice items. But now i get on and find out i didn't get early access yet. What is this? The people who pay the most don't get anything?
There will be trolls and what not but seriously. I payed 150$! i want my early access as soon as the servers are up.
/check advertisement, notice it says "up to 5 days early"

/check current date, notice its currently 7 days before scheduled release.

And you are butthurt why exactly ? Because some people have gotten in already and you havent ? Ive been waiting YEARS for this games release. I too pre-ordered a long time ago (but not in a galaxy far, far, away). If I can wait a couple more days, so can you. The fact is that its currently 2 days before we were originally told there would be early access. Its entirely possible that the whole reason they opened it up an extra 2 days early is so that they could stagger the launch, and still get everyone in early. I would rather them do that, than to just open the flood gates and let everyone in early, and have things be so horribly laggy that the game is almost unplayable (anyone remember the release of EVE back in may 2003, or WOW a short time later?). Not to mention the fact that they are probably still training customer support staff at this point, and a big part of the staggered release is probably to give them time to get more CS staff online.

PleaseRespond
12.13.2011 , 04:56 PM | #27
the collectors edition.
Sorry Sir,

We will remedy this right away. You will find your limousine waiting for you when you log on.

PantheraMorag
12.13.2011 , 04:58 PM | #28
I've paid 226$ for my CE, according to your logic I should be getting in before all the Americans that pay less..
And I paid my quite huge price for the CE in December. Should I be entitled to get in before all the people who ordered their standard edition in September?
(and to clarify, no I do not believe I'm entitled to this. I hope I get in on Thursday, I'm guessing I get in on Sunday or Monday)
My biggest wish is to have this droid: MSE-6-series repair droid as a pet!

WebJedi
12.13.2011 , 05:00 PM | #29
It really should..
But it doesn't and never has.

/thread

afroebob
12.13.2011 , 05:00 PM | #30
is it just me or is this guy the troll? BTW please, go through with the thought of not playing the game, maybe you can get a refund. I don't want people like you playing this game and ruining it for everyone.