Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best alignment for Non-Typical JK & JC Story: GRAY/NEUTRAL or DARK?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Best alignment for Non-Typical JK & JC Story: GRAY/NEUTRAL or DARK?

Nefla
07.21.2015 , 08:41 PM | #11
I'd just form a personality and roleplay it, seeing where it ends up going rather than going all dark, all light, or consciously neutral. My JK for instance I came up with a backstory for him that he was an imperial slave on Korriban for 10 years before eventually being rescued (along with other slaves) so while he's good and kind to innocents, he has zero mercy for sith, he'll go out of his way to kill them and will never accept a surrender or deals etc...

maxetius
07.22.2015 , 12:38 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
Do NPCs make references to your neutral alignment if you decide to go that way in the JK JC stories?

Since no one is answering your question and just talking about themselves I'll answer.

Compared to the Sith storylines, the jedi ones barely notice your alignment change. People will occasionally note your aggression but most will not bat an eyelash when you execute your opponents. Indeed, for the JK no one really notices until the very end, and there are some real inconsistencies, (a character says you are touched by darkness even though you may he light V for instance )

Consular is interesting in that you can slaughter many jedi similar to how Sith characters fight many other Sith, but again little notice of your dark tendencies compared to the Sith side. Also note that Consular makes much more sense light side, particularly you are completely locked out of the 'good' ending as a dark side character, but as you execute the final boss your character will still hold his head in his hands as though expressing regret.

Basically the opposite alignments are not even close to being as well done. This is mostly because dark =killing and thus closing story branches and removing characters. While light Is lack of killing and thus characters pop up later.

Thus in case of the Sith being light actually adds to the story. While being Jedi dark actually detracts from it.

Played all class stories multiple times w alignments. If you're against the grain and want the game to respond (as opposed to just doing it in your head like most posters here) then dark jedi stories will likely dissappoint you.

Consular in particular makes very little sense if you are dark side prior to act 2.

ChazDoit
07.22.2015 , 01:26 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by maxetius View Post
Since no one is answering your question and just talking about themselves I'll answer.

Compared to the Sith storylines, the jedi ones barely notice your alignment change. People will occasionally note your aggression but most will not bat an eyelash when you execute your opponents. Indeed, for the JK no one really notices until the very end, and there are some real inconsistencies, (a character says you are touched by darkness even though you may he light V for instance )

Consular is interesting in that you can slaughter many jedi similar to how Sith characters fight many other Sith, but again little notice of your dark tendencies compared to the Sith side. Also note that Consular makes much more sense light side, particularly you are completely locked out of the 'good' ending as a dark side character, but as you execute the final boss your character will still hold his head in his hands as though expressing regret.

Basically the opposite alignments are not even close to being as well done. This is mostly because dark =killing and thus closing story branches and removing characters. While light Is lack of killing and thus characters pop up later.

Thus in case of the Sith being light actually adds to the story. While being Jedi dark actually detracts from it.

Played all class stories multiple times w alignments. If you're against the grain and want the game to respond (as opposed to just doing it in your head like most posters here) then dark jedi stories will likely dissappoint you.

Consular in particular makes very little sense if you are dark side prior to act 2.
Thanks for the reply and all the others that contributed, I guess I'll play them Neutral/Light since I don't want to get locked out of possible endings.

Maaruin
07.22.2015 , 08:15 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
Do NPCs make references to your neutral alignment if you decide to go that way in the JK JC stories?
For the JC at least, yes, but only to a small degree. One thing Satele says to you at the end is different for light, neutral and dark. (Story wise it should have further consequences, but because the class story end there we don't see them.)

In case you don't mind story spoilers, here it is:

Spoiler
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

SithKoriandr
07.22.2015 , 08:26 PM | #15
JC doesn't make sense to be dark in the first chapter, after that it becomes a bit less of an issue.

JK, while there are some DS choices that are just way to far out there, to the point you wonder how the other jedi haven't noticed, it's much easier to be dark side.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Joluka
07.22.2015 , 11:47 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
JC doesn't make sense to be dark in the first chapter, after that it becomes a bit less of an issue.

JK, while there are some DS choices that are just way to far out there, to the point you wonder how the other jedi haven't noticed, it's much easier to be dark side.
I haven't played Jedi Knight because I'm waiting to roll a Togruta (once I finish my Inquisitor), but I can speak for the Consular.

The whole theme of the first chapter is the Consular establishing herself as someone who has a special potential that nobody else will ever get their hands on, then of course, it effectively makes her a savior. If you go Dark Side throughout the first chapter, you basically just looked at the Courscant prologue and said, "LOL, I could have just skipped Courscant and nothing would have changed." Chapter one makes the most sense as Light Side because you're not invalidating the theme of being this new savior of the galaxy. As Dark side, you become something anyone else could have been-- a common assassin.

Now for chapter two, that's where I say that our characters begin to sort of "grow up," if you will, they start facing more difficult situations and the story just gets way better for almost every single class. Here, you really can start seeing more than one path in your playstyle, maybe your character is extremely loyal to the Republic from his/her creation, well, that will net you some Dark Side points for sure. Maybe your character morphs into someone who couldn't take all the atrocities you face on some planets in chapter two and they begin to grow bitter and more vengeful. Perhaps it's the opposite, maybe your character used to be a bit of a wild card and then began to mature as time went on, that will take you on a Light Side streak. Maybe she doesn't believe the Jedi are right all the time, maybe she's a justice dealer, a wise master at heart, compassionate, passionate, etc..

The Jedi Consular, in my humble opinion, has one of the best stories in the game post chapter one. If I were you, I'd try playing him or her leaning towards neutrality by giving him or her a set personality, that way you don't automatically expect your next alignment decision and you actually have a hard time choosing between the lines. The Agent and Warrior stories allow for this a whole lot, that's why I'll rate them at the top of this game's storytelling.
The Conrad Legacy

"I wasn't planning to live forever anyway. I'm in."

SithKoriandr
07.23.2015 , 07:38 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Joluka View Post
I haven't played Jedi Knight because I'm waiting to roll a Togruta (once I finish my Inquisitor), but I can speak for the Consular.

The Jedi Consular, in my humble opinion, has one of the best stories in the game post chapter one. If I were you, I'd try playing him or her leaning towards neutrality by giving him or her a set personality, that way you don't automatically expect your next alignment decision and you actually have a hard time choosing between the lines. The Agent and Warrior stories allow for this a whole lot, that's why I'll rate them at the top of this game's storytelling.
Which is why lots of my characters are neutral or leaning towards the one side just slightly (1 or 2) and why my Consular told Satele "My views and the Jedi's don't always agree"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Cedia
07.23.2015 , 08:07 AM | #18
My Knight is on the dark side of neutral at the moment, just because she hates the Sith and hates the Empire. No, she doesn't clue in that this is dark side behavior, which I find quite amusing.

Spoiler
* Female Mandalorians who romanced Torian are missing his Resol'nare and Mando'a lessons conversations since 4.0 launched. * Please fix this!!! *

Bouncy_Hunter
07.24.2015 , 07:06 PM | #19
I prefer to play a Light/Gray Jedi, I think the best comparison to my liking is Qui-Gon Jinn. He is very light when it comes to morals, empathy and serving the less fortunate, but a lot of his methods would be considered gray like using Affect Mind a lot of times, and also his view of the rules within the Jedi order. The kind of Jedi I'd play would be light as well but would not agree with a lot of things the Jedi preach. A good example would be non attachment.

SithKoriandr
07.24.2015 , 07:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Bouncy_Hunter View Post
I prefer to play a Light/Gray Jedi, I think the best comparison to my liking is Qui-Gon Jinn. He is very light when it comes to morals, empathy and serving the less fortunate, but a lot of his methods would be considered gray like using Affect Mind a lot of times, and also his view of the rules within the Jedi order. The kind of Jedi I'd play would be light as well but would not agree with a lot of things the Jedi preach. A good example would be non attachment.
I would think, Satele abandoning her child would be a DS action, at least in TOR's version of what is DS and LS.