Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best alignment for Non-Typical JK & JC Story: GRAY/NEUTRAL or DARK?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Best alignment for Non-Typical JK & JC Story: GRAY/NEUTRAL or DARK?

ChazDoit
07.21.2015 , 10:34 AM | #1
I've been holding off on rolling the Jedi classes before because I wanted them to be Togruta, I resubbed about 2 months ago and now that the new race is about to be released I need advice on what alignment (That is NOT light) fits best for JK and JC.

In SW and SI stories, the NPCs sometimes acknowledge your Gray/Neutral alignment, by calling "unknowable" or "inscrutable" are there similar references in the JK or JC story?

My idea is to play a non-typical Jedi, and I really like the idea of being either gray or dark.

Pls try to avoid spoilers, I've already heard how these stories end, but I have little idea of the journey they took to get there =)

Thanks all!

DaveMcKnight
07.21.2015 , 10:42 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
I've been holding off on rolling the Jedi classes before because I wanted them to be Togruta, I resubbed about 2 months ago and now that the new race is about to be released I need advice on what alignment (That is NOT light) fits best for JK and JC.

In SW and SI stories, the NPCs sometimes acknowledge your Gray/Neutral alignment, by calling "unknowable" or "inscrutable" are there similar references in the JK or JC story?

My idea is to play a non-typical Jedi, and I really like the idea of being either gray or dark.

Pls try to avoid spoilers, I've already heard how these stories end, but I have little idea of the journey they took to get there =)

Thanks all!
A Dark Jedi is very much an arrogant, brash individual who is more concerned with his own glory, at least on the Knight storyline. So if you want to be a representative of the Jedi as they were in the prequels (sure, Anakin was arrogant but I think the only ones who weren't are Obi-Wan and Yoda, and even Yoda realized he was no match for the Sith), go for Dark.

A mixture of Light and Dark (Gray) would probably make more sense as a 'non-typical' Jedi. Example: romance options, deciding not to try and talk down Sith, etc. as DS choices would probably be good. But deciding to let innocents die in favor of retrieving a rare crystal (DS Choice on Taris for the JK where you can either save a colony about to fall under attack or retrieve rare orange lightsaber crystal) would be less of a 'non-typical Jedi' and more of a 'borderline narcissistic psycho whose only difference with the DS Sith Warrior is alignment'.

ChazDoit
07.21.2015 , 11:14 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DaveMcKnight View Post
A Dark Jedi is very much an arrogant, brash individual who is more concerned with his own glory, at least on the Knight storyline. So if you want to be a representative of the Jedi as they were in the prequels (sure, Anakin was arrogant but I think the only ones who weren't are Obi-Wan and Yoda, and even Yoda realized he was no match for the Sith), go for Dark.

A mixture of Light and Dark (Gray) would probably make more sense as a 'non-typical' Jedi. Example: romance options, deciding not to try and talk down Sith, etc. as DS choices would probably be good. But deciding to let innocents die in favor of retrieving a rare crystal (DS Choice on Taris for the JK where you can either save a colony about to fall under attack or retrieve rare orange lightsaber crystal) would be less of a 'non-typical Jedi' and more of a 'borderline narcissistic psycho whose only difference with the DS Sith Warrior is alignment'.
Well for Gray Jedi I was thinking someone along the lines of Qui-Gon Jin, who defies the Jedi Council, uses the force questionably but for the greater good, like rigging bets in his favor or mind tricking the Gungan King, however is is still very much one of the good guy.

Then is the Dark Jedi, Anakin-style who is arrogant and just goes too far and ends up falling.

Which one plays better for the JK and JC stories?

DaveMcKnight
07.21.2015 , 11:42 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
Well for Gray Jedi I was thinking someone along the lines of Qui-Gon Jin, who defies the Jedi Council, uses the force questionably but for the greater good, like rigging bets in his favor or mind tricking the Gungan King, however is is still very much one of the good guy.

Then is the Dark Jedi, Anakin-style who is arrogant and just goes too far and ends up falling.

Which one plays better for the JK and JC stories?
I haven't played the Consular story to its entirety quite yet, but based on what I've seen and heard from others I would say that the Consular would suit a Qui-Gon style of doing things (I use Force Persuade a lot as a Consular), while the Jedi Knight is definitely suited to a Dark Jedi, particularly as things escalate.

ChazDoit
07.21.2015 , 11:48 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DaveMcKnight View Post
I haven't played the Consular story to its entirety quite yet, but based on what I've seen and heard from others I would say that the Consular would suit a Qui-Gon style of doing things (I use Force Persuade a lot as a Consular), while the Jedi Knight is definitely suited to a Dark Jedi, particularly as things escalate.
Maybe I'll roll Gray Consular and Dark Jedi, I enjoyed play a Light Side SI and defying all established stereotypes, I kinda wanna do the same with the Jedi =P

Canareth
07.21.2015 , 12:23 PM | #6
If playing non-typical, play mixed. A heavily Dark JK/JC is not plausible with how high-profile you are, and is less magnificent bastard and more a dysfunctional psychopath.

Light Sith works because the "light" is more Lawful Evil than good a lot of the time and if you are a truly good character, it's set up as a secret you hide behind the Lawful Evil. "Because I wanted to, shut your mouth" is totally valid Sith logic - which is why it doesn't work for a Jedi justifying a Dark action to other (Light) Jedi.

ChazDoit
07.21.2015 , 12:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Canareth View Post
If playing non-typical, play mixed. A heavily Dark JK/JC is not plausible with how high-profile you are, and is less magnificent bastard and more a dysfunctional psychopath.

Light Sith works because the "light" is more Lawful Evil than good a lot of the time and if you are a truly good character, it's set up as a secret you hide behind the Lawful Evil. "Because I wanted to, shut your mouth" is totally valid Sith logic - which is why it doesn't work for a Jedi justifying a Dark action to other (Light) Jedi.
Do NPCs make references to your neutral alignment if you decide to go that way in the JK JC stories?

Amadahy
07.21.2015 , 01:26 PM | #8
Personally, I am a huge fan of grey/barely LS JK. It added a bit more flare to the story.

As for the JC, darkside all the way. I had an absolute blasted playing DS. The dialog was more interesting/entertaining, and the story was better in my opinion.

The only part I really dislike about grey/dark side is....

Spoiler
Alcaeus Legacy
Agent Melena
Harbinger/Shadowlands

DaveMcKnight
07.21.2015 , 07:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Canareth View Post

I agree the JC is quite high profile, but even with the way the JK storyline plays out, the JK seems more like a shadow operative for the Council and Republic, with only a handful knowing all the details, while the JC's story and their choices are heavily watched by the Council, the Senate, and even the Chancellor.

samhinch
07.21.2015 , 08:28 PM | #10
I'm currently playing as a dark aligned Jedi sage. It's way more fun this way. I kinda feel like a good chaotic wizard.