Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR acronyms explained

Icestar
07.10.2015 , 04:38 PM | #11
I updated the list and added a few, please give me feedback about YOLO, BiS, Parse, Casual and Hardcore if you feel they are given justice. I have tried to edit the title, but it will not let me for some reason.

We are really getting advanced here, keep up the good work with more

Icestar
07.13.2015 , 08:56 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Derfburger View Post
Nice list. I have been playing again for a couple of months an this is helpful even to me. Needs to be stickied.
Someone told me that the poster has to approve the post to be sticky. I do not know if that is the case but if it is I approve and they can do what they like with it.

I have recieved positive feedback regarding this thread so by all means sticky it if you like.

The title could be changed though, to "SWTOR linguistics explained" or something better.

Storm-Cutter
07.13.2015 , 10:54 AM | #13
SH = Stronghold - a player's house
QT = Qiucktravel
CD = Cooldown - the time you have to wait before activating the ability again.
DCD = Defensive cooldown
GM = Guildmaster (or somethimes) Guildmistress.
TS / VENT / MUMBLE - TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, Mumble - Different apps for voice over internet communications
EA = Electronic Arts.
BW = BioWare
GSF = Galactic Starfighter - the space version of PvP
QQ = Complaining, whining or griping about an issue.
MOB = An enemy or group of enemies in PvE
COMP = Companion or Composition of a PvP team.
DEV = Developer- the programmers and team that create the game.
LS = Light side
DS = Dark side

PvP maps:
HB = Huttball
ACW = Alderaan Civil war
AH = Ancient Hypergate
VS = Voidstar.
QB = Quesh Huttball.

PvP related:
REGS = Regular warzones, i.e. not Ranked.
RWZ = Ranked Warzone.
WZ = Warzone.
GG or GJ = Good game or good job. Usually said to a winning team or one that put up a valiant or enjoyable fight.
GRATZ = Congratulations - usually for some achievement completed.

Trade:
GTN = Galactic trade Network - a place to buy and sell items. (sometimes GTM)
WTB = Want to buy. -Some people add 'L' as in Would 'like' to buy.
WTS = Want to sell. Some people add 'L' as in Would 'like' to sell.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Icestar
07.13.2015 , 11:57 AM | #14
Excellent work Storm-Cutter, I updated the original post

ScarletBlaze
07.13.2015 , 12:08 PM | #15
You left out a server:

TEB-The Ebon Hawk

and I use and seen it in general chat

DK-Drumond Kaas
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

Icestar
07.13.2015 , 12:48 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
You left out a server:

TEB-The Ebon Hawk

and I use and seen it in general chat

DK-Drumond Kaas
I updated it, keep it comming.

Feedback is always valuable.

Storm-Cutter
07.13.2015 , 03:27 PM | #17
here's a few more:

DoT = Damage over time. An effect that inflicts damage over a period rather than instantly.
DoT Spread. = Applying DoTs to several opponents in rapid succession.
HoT = Heal over time.
Tick = Periodic effects, for example 500 damage every second for five seconds.
Buff = A boost to one's stats or abilities. E.g. Cooldown reduction
Nerf = The opposite of buff.

Mobility = Gap closers, knockbacks, speed boosts.
Utility = Temporary boosts that generally aid one's team. For examples increasing run speed, or an ability to cast heals on the move.

GF = Groupfinder
OMW = On my Way
LoS = Line of sight. -Within attack range / Behind solid cover.
Kiting = Attacking from range and stopping the enemy closing the gap to melee.
FOTM = Flavour of the Month. A trend where people choose to play what are percieved as overpowered character classes.
12X = 12 time XP. = A perk for subscribers multiplying their experience points during class stories enabling fast levelling.
RP = Roleplay
ERP = Erotic Roleplay
AoE = Area of effect. An attack that hits multiple enemies simultaneously.
GF = Groupfinder. A queue system putting together solo players into a flashpoint or operation.
Pop = Groupfinder or PvP popup dialog box inviting the player to join the match / flashpoint.
MVP = Most Valued player. An additional award to vote for a player who contributed most in a warzone or GSF match.
F2P = Free to play. Players who don't pay a subscription and have certain in-game restrictions.
L2P = Learn to play. Usually sarcastic advice to anyone finding something difficult that the majority find easy.
CC = Cartel coins (also crowd control -temporarily stopping an enemy from attacking)
CM = Cartel market. An online shop to buy perks, equipment etc. - usually in exchange for CCs or in-game credits.
CR / Creds = Credits. The in-game currency.
Lev. = Level
Cap = Maximum level.
Enrage = A sudden increase in an enemies defence or damage output after a timer expires.
DPS = Damage per second
HPS = Helaing per second
Freecast = Standing still and using abilities (usually healing) without interruption or the need to move and therefore stop.
Trinity: A combination of DPS healing and Tank. Usually, though not always in a 2:1:1 ratio.
EXP or XP = Experience. (sometimes Expertise - a stat used for PvP)
Bolster = A mechanic designed to help even out disparate character levels in PvP and some flashpoints.
Bio, Scav, Diplo, TH, UT, Arch, Slice, SW, AT (or Arms), Art, AM = Crewskills: Bioalalysys, Scavenging, Diplomacy, Treasure hunting, Underworld Trading, Synthweaving, Armstech, Artifice, Armormech
Bio-Bio-Diplo = a common crewskill combination, Bioanalysis, Biochem and diplomacy.
Farm = To repeat an action - normally not anything too challenging - to gain a reward several times over.
Grind = To repeat many times to get an end result.
Timesink = Something that requires a long time to achieve.
Credit sink = A mechanism where in gamer currency is removed from the system to help prevent inflation.

NP = No problem. The usual response when thanked for something.
TTFN / CYA = goodbye (Ta-Ta-for-now) / (See you)
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Icestar
07.13.2015 , 03:55 PM | #18
Nice update Storm-Cutter

This is a real good list for all players not only the new players. I hope they will pick up on thisone and make it a sticky.

If they want me to sort the different areas I am up for that aswell.

psandak
07.13.2015 , 03:56 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
I updated the list and added a few, please give me feedback about YOLO, BiS, Parse, Casual and Hardcore if you feel they are given justice. I have tried to edit the title, but it will not let me for some reason.

We are really getting advanced here, keep up the good work with more
Quote:
Casual = A player that enjoys story content.
Hardcore = A player that enjoys doing harder content and learns everything about the character to have optimal performance.
First an observation: ever hear of an 'alt-oholic" Could it not be said that an alt-oholic is a hardcore story player?

With that and many other variances in mind...
I have a serious problem with the terms "casual" and "hardcore." Both have negative connotations:
  • The "casual" player is one who does not care about optimization or working well with a group; "the group will carry me, so why should I bother."
  • The "hardcore" player is a parents' basement dwelling, playing 10 hours (or more) a day, elitist who feels that anyone who does not play the way he does is an idiot.

BOTH of these are ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!! In fact in my experience very few fit into these stereotypes. They are dinosaurs from a now bygone age of gaming.

If they have to be included:

Casual: a gamer that plays a game how they want, when they want. They have their preferred modes of play but may dabble in everything. And generally do not dedicate themselves to complete optimization in any one aspect (for a variety of "reasons").

Hardcore: a gamer that tends to play a game on a schedule. They have their preferred modes of play and usually stick to those modes (because that is what they are best at and/or want to play all the time). They tend to play in longer stretches of time and dedicate themselves to complete optimization (because doing so is necessary to progress in whatever mode they have chosen)

Casualcore: a gamer that falls somewhere between casual and hardcore (this constitutes the overwhelming majority of today's gamers). They may play on schedule, they may play whenever they want, they may even do a little of both. They have their preferred modes of play and tend to optimize in those modes but they may dabble in everything else too.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Icestar
07.13.2015 , 04:14 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
First an observation: ever hear of an 'alt-oholic" Could it not be said that an alt-oholic is a hardcore story player?
It is not easy to make a post like this but I listen to each and everyone of you so keep the feedback comming and I will update. I updated with casual, hardcore and casualhardcore. At some point I have to sort the different explanations but not for a while, now we are in the feedback and add constructivve suggestions phase.

Keep up the good work, and please write here what I should change and I will get right on it, we make this together.

In a while I will sort them out so that we get them in the correct area.

Feel free to update and do not be afraid if you are unsure, we will answer it for you,

If anyone got something they think about and wonder what it means, post it here and we will help you get your answer.