Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, are (Lorewise) the Empire and Republic going away?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
So, are (Lorewise) the Empire and Republic going away?

Cythereal
07.11.2015 , 06:13 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
That was my point precisely. If you would transport to the new timeline, old maps could be replaced b the new. Like zoning to a new instance or a new dimension. I never meant that something would be removed.
They're not making hundreds if not thousands of new maps as post-expansion versions of existing maps.

ourherohunter
07.17.2015 , 11:07 AM | #12
As fellow roleplayer, I think it would be kind of cool lorewise if it turned into a scenario where the remnants of both the Republic and Empire had to go into hiding for fear of being hunted down by the Zakuul Empire. The once great Sith Empire reduced to small, scattered groups of Sith plotting their revenge, the Jedi having to retreat from their temples and train their padawans in secret, and the remnants of the Republic and Imperial fleets having to fight using guerrilla tactics to strike against the Eternal Empire because they no longer have the resources for a direct conflict.

We definitely don't have enough information to confirm or deny any of this, but if the changes are so drastic enough, it will fundamentally change the way our characters view and act in the galaxy, and that is SO COOL!

I can hardly contain my excitement for the future of SWTOR and the amazing stories that are out there just waiting to be created.

Sardorim
07.17.2015 , 01:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Rekar View Post
They might do what WoW did when its Cataclysm expansion came out
Doubt it as story would be too greatly effected.

Beat case is the ability to travel back to pre-expansion time by something on the fleet, ship or ability.

Argonloris
07.20.2015 , 02:08 AM | #14
Since Cata destroyed all of the old maps permanently and that would be a massive financial waste for this game I doubt we'll ever see that happen. It might be that we just open new areas of the same planets though. it would be something similar to how we see Section X as part of Belsavis currently. Plenty of space not on the current maps for all the planets.
The Jade Legacy
Argonloris Marellis NichosSixtus
RIP: Mara Jade May 29, 2007

Victor_Nite
07.21.2015 , 03:47 PM | #15
What I am hoping is that in this new expansion the state of the Republic and the Empire are so decimated that neither truly exist as a faction of anything more than a combined resistance force. That would set the stage for The Outlander, as the "chosen one", to work towards building either a new Republic or a new Empire depending on what choices you make.

pest
07.22.2015 , 09:45 AM | #16
Maybe its just how they are establishing a 3rd faction for competitive Pve and PvP.

Although you never know.
Shhh, did you hear something!

Shadowsentinel
07.25.2015 , 02:24 AM | #17
Well, considering that characters will be thawed out of carbonite as part of new story, save to assume that even if Republic and Empire are here, they're nearly gone. Or they may be destroyed, but a lot of people are still fighting against IE and each other (resistance movements, government in exile, etc).
'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.'

jauvtus
07.25.2015 , 05:35 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by pest View Post
Maybe its just how they are establishing a 3rd faction for competitive Pve and PvP.

Although you never know.
They stated they wont make a 3rd faction many times

I dont think imps and pubs would be destroyed, the republic definitely needs to outlive all of these events, and to have in-game balance empire will probably survive too.

Shadowsentinel
07.25.2015 , 08:35 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by jauvtus View Post
They stated they wont make a 3rd faction many times

I dont think imps and pubs would be destroyed, the republic definitely needs to outlive all of these events, and to have in-game balance empire will probably survive too.
There are three thousand years until movies. There is plenty of time for Republic to be destroyed and then recreated.
'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.'

DeltaBos
07.26.2015 , 05:01 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowsentinel View Post
There are three thousand years until movies. There is plenty of time for Republic to be destroyed and then recreated.
Since this game isn't considered cannon anymore they don't necessarily have to adhere to the Republic existing centuries later at all. At the same time, Chancellor Palpatine did make the comment in Episode 2 that the Republic has stood for one-thousand years, and while this was thought to refer to the Ruusan Reformation, there's so much time in between the Bane era and the Old Republic era that the Republic could have not even been in existance for thousands of years.
Query: Is there someone that you need killed master?