Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Tips for Newer GSF Players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
[Guide] Tips for Newer GSF Players

Magira
07.08.2015 , 07:16 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post

Fortress Shield is a trap. Run Distortion Field or Feedback Shield instead.
I see a lot of gunships running Fortress Shield. This is the worst choice you could make. The usual argument is that it lets you tank things. This is true (though shield piercing exists)... until you move. And you will have to move. Other ships are capable of significant damage output, so either you move, or you die. The trouble with Fortress shield is: when you move, you lose all of the shields it added, and this is subtracted from the shields you have left, whether you took damage or not. You might very well find yourself trying to run with no shields at all, and that makes you an easy kill. You can avoid that by not running, but... well, that also makes you an easy kill.
Fortress is very good, but must be combined with Rotational Thrusters and Weapon Power Boost. Feedback is useless against enemy GS. Distortion is RNG and not particularly good. I take it, of course, with my scouts, but only because the missiles break. On a Mangler Distortion is worse then Fortress.

False statements are not correct when they are processed into new tutorials.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

Danalon
07.08.2015 , 10:57 AM | #22
Do I detect sarcasm?

Magira
07.08.2015 , 11:23 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Danalon View Post
Do I detect sarcasm?
Nah. Pugism.

So let's briefly explained. It is totally dependent on the situation, which is just the best.

Against organized groups that attack me coordinated, Fortress is weak. Against the usual unorganized PUG team Fortress is almost godlike. I win every duel against Disto GS because I have good shields and can shoot more often. Individual Scouts are not a problem thanks to Rotational Thrusters. Cluster Missiles have not the slightest effect against Fortress.

I have not seen a VOIP opponent team more for weeks, so I set up my build where from what is the current reality.

Armonddd
07.08.2015 , 12:23 PM | #24
As a scout, if you are using fortress, I will just fullstop behind you and unload with BLCs and pods. You get to choose between standing still and dying, using rotational to face me and forcing me to get behind you and restart the cycle, or running and losing all of your shields on that arc (because of the way your current shields are subtracted when fortress ends).

That alone makes fortress a bad choice.

Against strikes, you will eat a mess of missiles because you don't have any lock breaks. Against a gunship, you have better odds because fortress is guaranteed and disto is not, but lucky evades will still ruin your day, and that's assuming I don't take the smart course of waiting until you're distracted.

And that's the real reason why fortress sucks and disto is good: in a game where a 1v1 is often decided by turning it into a 2v1, fortress has extremely limited use and disto has potentially unlimited use.

Of course, you may be able to farm bads with that build. And that's fine, because most fights are against bads (especially, it seems, on your server). But any build can farm bads, and using that build sets up bad habits for competitive matches -- the exact opposite of what this thread is trying to accomplish.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Magira
07.08.2015 , 12:41 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post

Of course, you may be able to farm bads with that build. And that's fine, because most fights are against bads (especially, it seems, on your server). But any build can farm bads, and using that build sets up bad habits for competitive matches -- the exact opposite of what this thread is trying to accomplish.
It's a game. I've got no ideological or educational ambitions. I always take the build what works best. Even if it is "Cheesy" I do not care. And i am glad that there is no more a Elitist (aka competitive) Scene in GSF.

BTW: Pod Scouts were actually a problem for Fortress. But also not seen longer.

Armonddd
07.08.2015 , 01:11 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Magira View Post
It's a game. I've got no ideological or educational ambitions. I always take the build what works best. Even if it is "Cheesy" I do not care. And i am glad that there is no more a Elitist (aka competitive) Scene in GSF.

BTW: Pod Scouts were actually a problem for Fortress. But also not seen longer.
That's fine, but none of that is helpful to new players, which is why the guide tells them to stay away from fortress.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Magira
07.08.2015 , 01:22 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
That's fine, but none of that is helpful to new players, which is why the guide tells them to stay away from fortress.
Especially for new players Fortress is significantly easier to handle. Disto takes a lot of experience and some anticipation that still lack new players.

MiaowZedong
07.08.2015 , 01:28 PM | #28
Especially for new players Fortress is significantly easier to handle. Disto takes a lot of experience and some anticipation that still lack new players.
No, stop this right now, Fortress Shield just makes them free kills, telling them it's good means they won't understand how to improve and will be forever newbies.

Magira
07.08.2015 , 01:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaowZedong View Post
No, stop this right now, Fortress Shield just makes them free kills, telling them it's good means they won't understand how to improve and will be forever newbies.
You should stop. Disto lures new players into the RNG trap rather than relying on their own strengths.

Armonddd
07.08.2015 , 01:50 PM | #30
Disto lures new players into the RNG trap rather than relying on their own strengths.
Clearly trolling at this point. Farewell.