Game is becomming less and less Star Wars

Comfortare

:mad: I have been a player since day one, and I still enjoy it and feel that it has been a great overall experience, but ... With this new expansion the game is being taken in a bad direction. It is becoming less Star Wars and more of something else entirely. It reminds me of how Hollywood takes books that we love and turns them into movies which have no resemblance of their origins. No name screen writers seem to think they can improve upon bestselling authors such as Tolkien et. al. Why are you drifting farther away from the original canon? Why not include more of the universe we grew up with? There is too much missing already, why add more non-Star Wars to the mix? Please, I do not mean to insult all the hard work and genuine creative genius that went into this, but step back and think for a minute, Most sincerely, a fan of the game.

I'm not sure how what they are doing is an issue when you have to consider the following:

1. The game start outs approximately over 3000 years before Darth Vader is even born.

2. George Lucas himself that the Star Wars Universe is not just his, but everyone's to write about and create their own story. Only exception is certain characters used have to go through him but other then that people have free reign on what to create.

So technically there is nothing wrong here, they are writing a story how they want right it. That is why they had the story take place 3000 years before Vader and Palpatine because it gave them more creative freedom and most of the time they show Lucas and probably Disney what they create.

I believe in J.J Abrams who is directing the new star wars movie was invited to watch the new trailer before it came out.

It just seems to me that there are plenty of things from the movies that have been left out, such as races like ithorians, or changes such as Hoth no longer being a remote uninhabited planet. Then to add another huge power within the universe, one comparable to the Republic and the Empire seems a major divergence to me. I admit it does look interesting, and the writing has been phenomenal, I just question the direction.

:mad: I have been a player since day one, and I still enjoy it and feel that it has been a great overall experience, but ... With this new expansion the game is being taken in a bad direction. It is becoming less Star Wars and more of something else entirely. It reminds me of how Hollywood takes books that we love and turns them into movies which have no resemblance of their origins. No name screen writers seem to think they can improve upon bestselling authors such as Tolkien et. al. Why are you drifting farther away from the original canon? Why not include more of the universe we grew up with? There is too much missing already, why add more non-Star Wars to the mix? Please, I do not mean to insult all the hard work and genuine creative genius that went into this, but step back and think for a minute, Most sincerely, a fan of the game.

I suppose that really depends. The original trilogy was a space opera that played on a lot of themes that remained from WWII and related story telling. In a lot of ways the Empire was a futuristic German Army, and Japanese Empire. While the Rebellion came off as the Allied forces. In many ways the feel and elements of Star Wars resonated so well with us because many of us grew up watching old war films and hearing war stories from veterans.

Strip away those elements and you still have a story of good vs evil, a heroic struggle against the odds and a journey of discovery. Some of these elements are present in the class stories in SWTOR but some parts are downplayed more than others. Though I'd say the Jedi Knight story plays close to these elements.

We haven't actually played the new expansion yet. We've just seen a trailer in which both "good" and "evil" have been eradicated by a new player in the galactic field. Of course nothing is ever black and white, it's all shades of gray so both the Empire and Republic could be seen as good, or evil.

My point is, many of the elements are still present in the story telling and it's best to not pass judgement until you've experienced the coming chapters of the story.

It just seems to me that there are plenty of things from the movies that have been left out, such as races like ithorians, or changes such as Hoth no longer being a remote uninhabited planet. Then to add another huge power within the universe, one comparable to the Republic and the Empire seems a major divergence to me. I admit it does look interesting, and the writing has been phenomenal, I just question the direction.

We are talking about a 3000 year gap between the star wars we know and this one. Things can change a lot in 3000 years, planets may be lost or uninteresting again like hoth. It may be important now but within 3000 years things change.

I don't see anything non-star wars in the direction they are going, they are writing a story. Also as for your "Ithorians" do the Jedi knight or consular story, on Tython you meet a Jedi master that is ithorian on a sub quest. Just because every race you know is not on every single planet all over the place doesn't make it non-star wars.

I just wanted to thanks for the replies I received to my post. I think I may have over thought the whole thing. Maybe the best answer is that I should just shut up and enjoy the game. Thanks for your viewpoints and your time. May the Force be with you!

Idk. The new KotFE trailer feels a lot more "star warsy" to me than either Makeb or the 3.0 launch content did. Makeb felt more like a generic G.I. Joe experience. Moving away from that is definitely the right direction, IMO.

Idk. The new KotFE trailer feels a lot more "star warsy" to me than either Makeb or the 3.0 launch content did. Makeb felt more like a generic G.I. Joe experience. Moving away from that is definitely the right direction, IMO.

"A lot more", is still questionable, when we compare Makeb and 3.0 stuff, with what would be a good work.

A good work for me, was the orginal swtor stories. Even SOR, if it was not too short, and aside from the Ziost part.

IMO, these trailers are weak, compared to any seem in sw. They do not pass the sw world feeling.