Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Theran Shan?

Asmodesu
09.09.2017 , 04:45 PM | #3021
Interesting read! however, I wonder how much changes when one disregards every single romance specific line/reaction he gives. Does the infiltration theory still hold up so well with non-romanced Commanders?
I'm curious, I do know he apologises at the end on his ship to a Commander that puts a bounty on his head. Just "I'm sorry, Commander" *clicks off the holonet." which helps for the theory at least.

Estelindis
09.09.2017 , 06:04 PM | #3022
I think the infiltration theory holds up fine with non-romanced commanders. It still comes across to me that he respects the main character and is putting on an act so he can go deep undercover.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion~~~

orangenee
09.09.2017 , 06:11 PM | #3023
Too busy arguing "RP politics" over on my server. No Lananites or Theronites to be seen.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Asmodesu
09.09.2017 , 06:47 PM | #3024
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
I think the infiltration theory holds up fine with non-romanced commanders. It still comes across to me that he respects the main character and is putting on an act so he can go deep undercover.
Yeah, I agree the respect is there across the board. Even for the more trigger-happy Commanders interestingly enough. I think it does hold up I just never saw anyone discuss it without requiring to throw in the romance lines. It is possible without doing so!
says the crazy romancer in the corner rofl.
A few people I talk to in a discord chat that don' t like the character, don't romance him, still signed up on the infiltration theory. I asked the question to them too today, just after posting it here, and got some awesome answers in response. So I'm all cool now, I wanted just to hear another version for it haha.

My personal thoughts on everything from plans, to leads up to the full 'betrayal':
Spoiler

Ioue
09.10.2017 , 11:59 AM | #3025
Spoiler
[/QUOTE]

You can still respect a person/decision while disliking it/them on a personal level. Liking and respecting, as I see it, are mutually exclusive things although disliking does influence how you act against said decision if one is not careful (check yo' self before you wreck yourself ;D). But Theron has years of field experience. The game and tie-in media consistently paint him as a mature professional super spy. He may not always go with full fledged plans with contingencies, but he gets the job done despite his personal feelings. If he was so blind to the Republic propaganda hatred toward Imperials, if he wasn't a mature professional, he would never have involved himself with Lana all those years ago against Revan and Alliance. The Revan/Shan family is pictured as acting always for the "greater good of the galaxy". Well, Theron sure fits in the family tree.

I played Iokath and Umbara back to back recently, and I would describe Theron's words and performance as conflicted. His tone is very dubious, ambiguous, as if his feet are already at the door. It's not fully committed as Lana's (but then she's a Sith Lord *shrug*). Yeah, I found his mustache-twirling diatribe so out of character yet with some truth to how and what his character believes up to this point. Theron does believe in peace and his need to believe in a bigger cause more than himself. At heart, he is an idealist, imo, opposed to Lana the ruthlessly pragmatic Sith. And you don't want to piss off an idealist as they are a stubborn bunch :P (I should know, I'm an idealist and I know I'm really stubborn).

Spoiler

Now that traitor is out in the open, I'm really interested in seeing how BW will take Theron who they also have invested a lot in terms of in-game and tie-in novel content. I do love Theron as a character, not just because he is one of my favorite LIs in swtor, buuuuuuut don't want him to be a paperweight in future expansions . He's too integral to Alliance storyline along with Lana as they are the two advisors and ultimately founders.

Asmodesu
09.10.2017 , 12:15 PM | #3026
I also Need to point out, again, that it was my peacekeeper who got the "you'd throw me in the brig" lines from Theron, and it was my Empress' (2 characters) who got the "I wanted to tell you --" lines. Either my game is massively bugged or the lines are not actually tied solely to the throne choice. It would affect it, if there's nothing else to do so, but can not be the sole decider since I got the opposite results to what people claim three times.

I still firmly stand in the "I'm excited over the rest of the story to come!" camp.. but also firmly in the "if he's killable in the end, he better still have content for those of us who didn't do that." which so far is non-existent in the game with other killable characters.

BlueShiftRecall
09.10.2017 , 02:18 PM | #3027
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
I still firmly stand in the "I'm excited over the rest of the story to come!" camp.. but also firmly in the "if he's killable in the end, he better still have content for those of us who didn't do that." which so far is non-existent in the game with other killable characters.
This is what concerns me most, not that he could be killable but the scenario of him never playing a part in the story anymore even for those who don't kill him, AKA every returned companion at this point.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkelefantos View Post
BTW, it's really hard not to read your name as Blue****tRecall.
Supporter Of: Purple Twi'leks (Since 2015) and More Miraluka Masks

IoNonSoEVero
09.10.2017 , 10:43 PM | #3028
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueShiftRecall View Post
This is what concerns me most, not that he could be killable but the scenario of him never playing a part in the story anymore even for those who don't kill him, AKA every returned companion at this point.
Agreeing with this completely. I actually would prefer if Lana and Theron both had Plot Armor against ever being killed, in a perfect world. But if that option ever does arise, I wouldn't want it to mean that they fade away to very minor roles, the way the other killable companions have.

OTOH, Senya and Arcann are killable, and if you keep them they basically dominate the last few chapters of KOTET - so perhaps that will be the new trend.

Swingkittie
09.11.2017 , 12:39 PM | #3029
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
Interesting read! however, I wonder how much changes when one disregards every single romance specific line/reaction he gives. Does the infiltration theory still hold up so well with non-romanced Commanders?
I'm curious, I do know he apologises at the end on his ship to a Commander that puts a bounty on his head. Just "I'm sorry, Commander" *clicks off the holonet." which helps for the theory at least.
I get what you are saying but my problem is that he says that (if the bounty is put on him), yet he still sends you a mail message all ticked off at your character. Why even bother with that? Is the Order making him send these messages or is he doing it on his own? If they are making him, then his angry response makes sense (if he is undercover). On the non-bounty side though why would the order allow him to send a message saying he still loves/respects your character. This is why I don't think the Order is behind his mail messages because of the Non-bounty one. However, it makes me wonder why send the other one unless he truly feels that way - that he really is glad to have betrayed you.

I also think they should have had two types of emails for the "bounty" one. A separate one if you romanced him saying like he is surprised you did this and is hurt by that or something of that nature.
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Asmodesu
09.11.2017 , 03:52 PM | #3030
Quote: Originally Posted by Swingkittie View Post
I get what you are saying but my problem is that he says that (if the bounty is put on him), yet he still sends you a mail message all ticked off at your character. Why even bother with that? Is the Order making him send these messages or is he doing it on his own? If they are making him, then his angry response makes sense (if he is undercover). On the non-bounty side though why would the order allow him to send a message saying he still loves/respects your character. This is why I don't think the Order is behind his mail messages because of the Non-bounty one. However, it makes me wonder why send the other one unless he truly feels that way - that he really is glad to have betrayed you.

I also think they should have had two types of emails for the "bounty" one. A separate one if you romanced him saying like he is surprised you did this and is hurt by that or something of that nature.
Yeah the bounty one is same no matter what. It's very possible the writer's only thought of 3 options for the player character's reaction: Theron come home, Theron I still love you, Theron you're dead. No mixes, it's likely they never took into account a romanced character would set a 1 billion bounty on their lover's head for dead or alive reward.
And yeah, that's quite a bounty it reads that to use that option and it to make sense your character would have had to be driving him off with their choices this whole time, and been angry as heck in the train etc.