Update on Win-Trading in Season 5

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I am here to give an update on win-trading and ranked “trolls” for Season 5. As of earlier this week we sent out another round of warnings and action against players who were participating in win-trading or being trolly in ranked play. I did want to provide some additional information besides just letting you know timing of action going out. Many of you requested that we be more up front about the action we were taking against players, and you were right in asking for that! Our aggressive action against these players along with being up front and transparent about has led to a fairly substantial change, let me give you some numbers:

• Since we started communicating about win-trading and the actions we were going to take, nearly 90% of the previous reports and related win-trading activity have stopped.
  • In addition, the majority of “trolls,” have stopped their behavior and over 50% of those players have ceased completely.

We hope that many of you are experiencing similar results when you’re playing Ranked. We are going to continue monitoring and taking action as needed. Thanks!

-eric

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition, the majority of “trolls,” have stopped their behavior and over 50% of those players have ceased completely.

-eric

Have stopped what completely? The majority of trolls have stopped trolling and 50% of those trolls have ceased...?

Playing? Breathing? Writing in their diaries?

Have stopped what completely? The majority of trolls have stopped trolling and 50% of those trolls have ceased...?

I assume he meant queuing at all.

• Dev Post

I assume he meant queuing at all.

Mainly diary writing :rak_03:

TUXs is correct in that we mean queueing for PvP. In some cases, we mean playing SWTOR at all, as they were suspended for their actions.

-eric

Hey folks,

I am here to give an update on win-trading and ranked “trolls” for Season 5. As of earlier this week we sent out another round of warnings and action against players who were participating in win-trading or being trolly in ranked play. I did want to provide some additional information besides just letting you know timing of action going out. Many of you requested that we be more up front about the action we were taking against players, and you were right in asking for that! Our aggressive action against these players along with being up front and transparent about has led to a fairly substantial change, let me give you some numbers:

• Since we started communicating about win-trading and the actions we were going to take, nearly 90% of the previous reports and related win-trading activity have stopped.
  • In addition, the majority of “trolls,” have stopped their behavior and over 50% of those players have ceased completely.

We hope that many of you are experiencing similar results when you’re playing Ranked. We are going to continue monitoring and taking action as needed. Thanks!

-eric

This may be true to some degree but I just checked on a notorious win trader (See #1 group rated Juggernaut) and his rating is still active, so where are the rating resets at?

Hey Eric,

How do you detect whether somebody is win trading? It's obvious when somebody types /stuck to let the other team win, but how can you tell if a player is deliberately playing badly on his 2018 expertise character (who doesn't care about ranked) to let his friend on the other team win?

How can you tell a genuine bad player from someone who is deliberately playing badly?

• Dev Post
Hey Eric,

How do you detect whether somebody is win trading? It's obvious when somebody types /stuck to let the other team win, but how can you tell if a player is deliberately playing badly on his 2018 expertise character (who doesn't care about ranked) to let his friend on the other team win?

How can you tell a genuine bad player from someone who is deliberately playing badly?

This is a great question, but unfortunately, one I cannot answer directly. If I tell you how we find people, then win-traders can learn that too and change their behavior.

What I can say is that we track many different data points and use a combination of triggers in those data points to find people. We want to be sure we are catching the right people and try to avoid false-positives as much as possible.

Hope that makes sense!

-eric

Hey Eric, it is known that not having any requiriment to anyone to do solo ranked is allowing trolls to troll..

Have you guys considered adding requeriments to queue such as 2018 expertise base (non bolstered)?

I suggested it on a thread on PVP section, had some people supporting, but would be cool if this could be added, since it is not only trolls who queue for solo ranked, certain PVErs who missclicked or random people who missclicked too.

Would appreciate a response!

Thanks for sharing the update too!

I'm curious to see the data points when someone tells his friend out of game:

"Hey, i know you haven't played much ranked PVP Before, but would you mind queuing ranked and play slow and dumb and badly in every game you play, so when I match up against you, I have more chance of winning? Thanks friend"

I don't think Bioware can tell between a bad player and someone deliberately playing badly. I think it's impossible to tell. Especially when people are communicating with each other out of game.

Please please please please PLEASE put some sort of gating mechanism into ranked, make it require 2018 expertise, or if that doesn't work, give some sort of valor or other requirement that requires you to have some form of PVP experience. It would make the entire experience infinitely more enjoyable and fair.

Please please please please PLEASE put some sort of gating mechanism into ranked, make it require 2018 expertise, or if that doesn't work, give some sort of valor or other requirement that requires you to have some form of PVP experience. It would make the entire experience infinitely more enjoyable and fair.

Then you'll get people in level 55 gear queuing. it's better to make a rating + expertise requirement AND prevent ppl from swapping gear inside to prevent skank.

TUXs is correct in that we mean queueing for PvP. In some cases, we mean playing SWTOR at all, as they were suspended for their actions.

-eric

im not going to lie.. but I laughed...

I appreciate the humor

[*]In addition, the majority of “trolls,” have stopped their behavior and over 50% of those players have ceased completely.

Eric...I agree with this assessment. The two biggest Trolls on my server that I knew of don't rear their ugly heads at all anymore in Yolo. Job well done in that regard.

Edited by DarthOvertone

3 yellow posts in one thread...in the PvP forum!

Lord Ptach is spreading his goodness to other facets of the game...blessed be Ptach, whose name should be uttered often and lovingly.

Seriously, I don't even play ranked, but I'm loving this new communication and action initiative. Keep up the good work guys!

-eric

Swing, battabattabattabatta, SWING! Swing that hammer!

• Dev Post
Hey Eric, it is known that not having any requiriment to anyone to do solo ranked is allowing trolls to troll..

Have you guys considered adding requeriments to queue such as 2018 expertise base (non bolstered)?

I suggested it on a thread on PVP section, had some people supporting, but would be cool if this could be added, since it is not only trolls who queue for solo ranked, certain PVErs who missclicked or random people who missclicked too.

Would appreciate a response!

Thanks for sharing the update too!

I'm gonna be a little dodgy and not answer your question, BUT, I will say that just yesterday Alex Modny and I did a long interview with the BadFeelingPodcast about PvP. All I will say is you will want to tune into it as we talk about a few changes coming to PvP. I believe they will publish it sometime next week.

-eric

Well that was an effective teaser, my heart rate may even have jumped at the possibility of PvP news. Now I just wonder if I will feel dirty for swallowing it, after next week. Edited by Karaiblis