Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alignment system - The illusion of choice.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Alignment system - The illusion of choice.

Nycth
12.24.2011 , 06:56 PM | #11
I'd like a neutral system. Either rewards that don't care what alignment you are, or rewards that require you to be <1000 for both sides. It would be trickier, you'd have to make sure and balance your alignment frequently, but it would be cool.

BirdyCephon
12.24.2011 , 06:56 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Well that's thinking in extremes. The Grey Jedi just do the more... questionable things. They skirt the border between Light and Dark on a daily basis, without succumbing to either.
Like forgiving people's past mistakes and giving them a chance rather than turning them in to the authorities.
NLR

MikeMonger
12.24.2011 , 06:57 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Well that's thinking in extremes. The Grey Jedi just do the more... questionable things. They skirt the border between Light and Dark on a daily basis, without succumbing to either.
But you HAVE to go one way or the other. You either channel the force through strong emotions (dark side) or through rigorous discipline (light side). You don't channel the force by having no real opinions one way or the other.

Kalytron
12.24.2011 , 06:58 PM | #14
They plan on adding "neutral" type gear in the future. I'm not sure why it wasn't added with the other gear - but yeah. It's coming - just not next patch. It seems like the next content patch is going to be on the smaller side. Kind of leads me to believe they plan on doing smaller updates more frequent than huge updates less often. Hopefully neutral gear gets put into one fairly soon because like you ... When I first played I picked choices based on what I thought was right in my story/to my character. And wound up perfectly neutral.

I would dig up the posts regarding this if I could search.. Tried to grab it from google but no luck. Too many posts to find the right one.

Another way to look at neutrality is to call it "questionable ethics" instead.

Cameirus
12.24.2011 , 06:59 PM | #15
There is no choice.

You either go full light or full dark or get screwed......

Also, once I realised your non-force conversation options did sod all, i stopped caring.

MikeMonger
12.24.2011 , 06:59 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by BirdyCephon View Post
Like forgiving people's past mistakes and giving them a chance rather than turning them in to the authorities.
Since when is forgiveness not light?

As I said before, so-called "grey jedi" tend to simply be light jedi who don't do everything they're told.

Phoenixblight
12.24.2011 , 07:01 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeMonger View Post
I dunno about you, but I find the idea of killing people for money kind of dark side.

Just sayin'.

Smugglers. on the other hand, could actually be more neutral.

However, most of the light/dark gear issue stems around jedi. At least, I never noticed any alignment restrictions on gear when I leveled a trooper to 50 in beta.
But there are quests that reward more if you retrieved a bounty alive example retrieving the slave that was working for Nemro's rival in Hutta. You ask the quest giver and he said he would pay more for the bounty to be alive, well to get that bounty alive you have to also save the slaves too. My Bounty Hunter does things based on what pays more and always does what is in the contract, he never double crosses. THis is creating him to be quite grey at level 12 he is 400 light and 500 dark.

deserttfoxx
12.24.2011 , 07:03 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by lunabaguna View Post
The alignment gear is mostly orange, which is a shell that scales with mods. The gear is completely optional. If you don't want to go full light or dark you just don't get the rewards.
Look at the raid gear, that is epic without mods that is dark/light V, what are our options then, raid, and then hope for mods because we cant buy the actual gear?
"Soon they will know my name, recognize my face, and understand what it means to be in the presence of true power." - Imitatio Dei Captain Sakari Foxx , Sith Juggernaut (Level 50)

Red_Vs_Blue
12.24.2011 , 07:04 PM | #19
How do you even try to be in the middle? i mean all the choices are really moving, and some really test your character. Do you want to kill this fool? Yes, but it is not proper, etc..

I mean i got to kill some bodies parents and what not.
Ageoffan, lvl 50 Sith Warrior,Annihilation.
Server: Dreshdae Cantina
Guild: Legion of Fire

deserttfoxx
12.24.2011 , 07:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeMonger View Post
I keep hearing about the so-called "grey jedi".

Let me ask you a question.

Are these grey jedi saving babies one day and then murdering them the next?

Or do they act like light jedi who simply don't listen to everything the coucil tells them?
Dude, my problem is, im not grey, im just not extreme light. I make decisions on what i feel, i only kill people i deem nessessary to kill. I am light side 2 at the moment, but the game is designed around the extremes, you have to be extreme light or exreme dark, are you telling me as a dark sith youd never make a light side decision ever, as a lightside jedi youd never kill anyone, ever?

Like i said, the illusion of choice.

My playstyle is not about TRYING to be grey, or light, or dark.

My playstyle is about making decision I WANT TO MAKE, and it just so happens that my decisions have my light side 2. but way to much dark side to hit lightside 3, as such i cannot buy any commendation gear from taris because it requires dark/light 3. And thats my problem

if it is my story, then why am i being punished for not being extreme light or extreme dark?
"Soon they will know my name, recognize my face, and understand what it means to be in the presence of true power." - Imitatio Dei Captain Sakari Foxx , Sith Juggernaut (Level 50)