Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alignment system - The illusion of choice.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Alignment system - The illusion of choice.

deserttfoxx
12.24.2011 , 06:40 PM | #1
The alignment system is soemthing i looked forward to since the announcement of this game. I looked forward to telling mystory, and making the decision i wanted and at the end of the day just seeing where my character stood.

When i created my character i immediately turned off all the UI options that reveal whether or not a decision is lightside or dark side, and i just choose choices based on what I would say. Which i thought was the whole point of this game.

Apparently not, as you get higher and higher level you start seeing more and more restrictions on the gear based on alingment, and nothing caters to the person who is in the middle, or even the person lagging behind. It is clear bioware has intended level gates, by level 16 you should be dark/light 1, 25 dark/light 2, 35 dark/light 3, you get the picture. Well im 36, and im 5500 light, 3000 dark which leaves me light side 2. Which is fine for me, until i get to the commendation vendor, who only sells gear that is dark side 3 or light side 3. Nothing in the middle.

Which begs the questions, why is there no neutral gear? I dont mean grey, i mean gear that has no alignment requirement at all being sold at all levels from the vendors? As it stands now, if you want to maintain your gear through commendations and quests you have to either press 1 for every response, or press 3 for every response, there is no in between.

Bioware this needs to be changed, Alignment as far as i can tell is purely cosmetic, as it should be, and if you are making it cosmetic you need to account for all variables. You can easily fix this problem by adding in gear that has no alignment to go alongside the gear that has the dark side 1 to 5 requirements.

I really cant wait to start raiding, so i can deal with the dark / light 5 gear.
You are very welcome to use my referral link.
With this you get 7 days of free subscription,a free character transfer and nice items mailed to all your characters. The referral helps both new, returning and current players!

Click here for 7 days of free subscription a free character transfer and more

krisslanza
12.24.2011 , 06:41 PM | #2
I think someone said BioWare plans to add more "neutral" gear later, in addition to some gear that might require your alignment to be neutral.

lunabaguna
12.24.2011 , 06:45 PM | #3
The alignment gear is mostly orange, which is a shell that scales with mods. The gear is completely optional. If you don't want to go full light or dark you just don't get the rewards.
Wow was copying Mario Brothers in every respect.
-A world (or many worlds)
-the color red in game
-you have to buy it

MikeMonger
12.24.2011 , 06:48 PM | #4
Why isn't neutrality rewarded?

Because in the whole light side/dark side conflict, there is no middle ground. It's a conflict of absolutes.

Reward neutrality and you might as well pull the system entirely.

krisslanza
12.24.2011 , 06:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeMonger View Post
Why isn't neutrality not rewarded?

Because in the whole light side/dark side conflict, there is no middle ground. It's a conflict of absolutes.

There are Grey Jedi you know.

MikeMonger
12.24.2011 , 06:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
There are Grey Jedi you know.
I keep hearing about the so-called "grey jedi".

Let me ask you a question.

Are these grey jedi saving babies one day and then murdering them the next?

Or do they act like light jedi who simply don't listen to everything the coucil tells them?

Phoenixblight
12.24.2011 , 06:52 PM | #7
Why isn't neutrality not rewarded?

I find that all the classes especially the smuggler and Bounty hunter could totally fit with the neutral role because they are mostly indifferent to the war that is going on and I plan on playing my Bounty Hunter in such a way. I don't want to be forced to pick light/dark because I will be gimped as far as gear goes because I am not light rank 5. This whole idea of absolutes is bologney. Bounty Hunter does things purely on the idea of getting credits and whatever pays more he/she will do and that could mean a variety of things from collecting a guys head to bringing a wife to her husband unharmed.

krisslanza
12.24.2011 , 06:52 PM | #8
I keep hearing about the so-called "grey jedi".

Let me ask you a question.

Are these grey jedi saving babies one day and then murdering them the next?

Or do they act like light jedi who simply don't listen to everything the coucil tells them?
Well that's thinking in extremes. The Grey Jedi just do the more... questionable things. They skirt the border between Light and Dark on a daily basis, without succumbing to either.

MikeMonger
12.24.2011 , 06:55 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixblight View Post
I find that all the classes especially the smuggler and Bounty hunter could totally fit with the neutral role because they are mostly indifferent to the war that is going on and I plan on playing my Bounty Hunter in such a way. I don't want to be forced to pick light/dark because I will be gimped as far as gear go because I am not light rank 5. This whole idea of absolutes is bologney. Bounty Hunter does things ourely on the idea of getting credits and whatever pays more he/she will do.
I dunno about you, but I find the idea of killing people for money kind of dark side.

Just sayin'.

Smugglers. on the other hand, could actually be more neutral.

However, most of the light/dark gear issue stems around jedi. At least, I never noticed any alignment restrictions on gear when I leveled a trooper to 50 in beta.

Nireesh
12.24.2011 , 06:55 PM | #10
Ya I agree that there should be more neutral gear. I don't like to have to always choose dark/light, but I feel compelled to just to get better gear down the road.