Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR on mac

daemian
12.30.2011 , 11:16 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Khallifa View Post
I bought swtor and subscribed on my mac not realizing until it was too late they didn't have a game client for macs. What is this bootcamp on mac everyone keeps mentioning that allows them to play swtor on a mac? Do i have to buy it or just download it?
It's a free utility that comes with your Mac that walks you through installing Windows. Check out the Boot Camp thread here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=11234

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthKazdanton View Post
Bob:

I'm trying to run SWTOR on my Mac vis Bootcamp but I'm getting an Error Code 7. Can you, or anyone else running successfully on a Mac, offer any advice for getting the game to run? Is there a specific driver I need to update from the 11 drivers that Mac provides to support Windows on the Windows partition?

Thanks so much.
Error Code 7 seems to be pretty common among Windows users, there's a dev post about it in the customer service forum under the 'hot topics' thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=275

Quote: Originally Posted by jwkub View Post
Has anyone successfully got the game client to run in a VM like Parallels, VM Ware Fusion?
Bootcamp rebooting is a PITA!
Several people have tried, performance is not even close to running it natively in Windows. Believe me, you'd rather just reboot.

guitarmaniak
01.01.2012 , 05:31 PM | #12
I put Bootcamp on my old macbook. It worked pretty good, but the one downside was that I had to partition a lot of space to the Windows side to make it worth while.

Psychojogge
01.13.2012 , 10:43 PM | #13
its annoying to restart all the time, and i really hate using windows after ive started with mac OSX its so much better, smooth and all....

biggest prob is that when i run games in windows, even with fancontrol to increase fan speed.. my macbook pro runs REALLY hot, like 90-95c and stays between 80-95c while i play and my fans run at 6000rpm for that long time, and i can easly play for hours a day.... so i think its actually really damageing to my hardware! ive tryed wow in windows and on OSX and in osx the game actually runs allmost 10c lower than in windows... so I imagine a heat decrease in swtor aswel if it was to run on osx...

KennethHoover
01.13.2012 , 10:44 PM | #14
First, toss your mac into the garbage bin where it belongs and get a PC.

Just doing that right there will be the first, long step to recovery....
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Psychojogge
01.13.2012 , 11:07 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by KennethHoover View Post
First, toss your mac into the garbage bin where it belongs and get a PC.

Just doing that right there will be the first, long step to recovery....
I have a very powerful pc, i7 980x Extreme Edition cpu, 580GTX, 12gb ram etc. etc.

But my work force me to travel alot and for a longer amount of time, which meens i use my macbook pro, first off, the macbook pro beat any laptop I ever had in battery life, its totally amazing, second the OSX system is just so much more comfortable than windows. Those are my opinions, therefor it would be nice if i wasnt forced to install windows on it to play a game like swtor, which as far as i know hit 1million subscribers on day 1... a game like that should have a mac platform aswel.

SleeperInfamous
01.13.2012 , 11:32 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychojogge View Post
its annoying to restart all the time, and i really hate using windows after ive started with mac OSX its so much better, smooth and all....

biggest prob is that when i run games in windows, even with fancontrol to increase fan speed.. my macbook pro runs REALLY hot, like 90-95c and stays between 80-95c while i play and my fans run at 6000rpm for that long time, and i can easly play for hours a day.... so i think its actually really damageing to my hardware! ive tryed wow in windows and on OSX and in osx the game actually runs allmost 10c lower than in windows... so I imagine a heat decrease in swtor aswel if it was to run on osx...
If you use smcfancontrol, set the fan speed to a higher preset in OSX and then reboot into Windows, it'll retain those fan settings so you can keep 'em turned up while gaming.

I'm on an i7 iMac 27, and I run around 100*F while playing with fan speeds:

ODD: 2700
HDD: 3700
CPU: 1600

It's not obnoxiously loud, and runs extremely smooth at 2560x1440. Most graphics on high, with shadows off and grass/trees around 50%. (The game client doesn't like shadows on my machine, for some reason).

Looks great, though.

maxetius
01.13.2012 , 11:33 PM | #17
It's coming, hopefully sooner rather than later. I'd love to play on my Mac.

Onyx
01.14.2012 , 12:44 AM | #18
I'm running Input Remapper on my MacBook Pro to control fan speed. It also has some other nice features for remapping keys on the Windows side, controlling the keyboard backlight, and a few other goodies.

Even though the current version is several years old, I highly recommend it to anyone gaming on a MBP.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Kirjava
01.14.2012 , 12:45 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by bobonij View Post
Dear BioWare,

I'm wondering if in the future there will be a Star Wars: the old republic for mac?
Running it on a bootcamped windows version, and going quite smoothly, but switching over all the time is kinda annoying and i really prefer using OSX instead of windows if im playing on a mac ;p

Regards,

Bob

P.S.
Merry Christmass
Think they mentioned that they were looking into it recently, according to Tor-Talk.
TORwiki-Edit Your Signature-Search-Ignore List--FAQ

Feel free to send me a pm if you need something explaining TORelated.