EA praises SWTOR - shuts down four other F2P PC games

DarthDymond

EA just announced that over the next three months they are shutting down Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Play4Free, Need For Speed World, and FIFA World. In the announcement they specifically mentioned that SWTOR has a "very enthusiastic and growing player community," and echoed BW's line about plans to add "more new story-driven game updates to our Star Wars: The Old Republic players this year".

Of course any game that they continue to market (even just barely) will be given their full-throated support to the press... right up until the day they decide to axe it. So I do wonder whether behind the scenes the game is actually impressing EA to they extent that they say, or if it just squeaked by. (Apparently it had $106 million in revenue for the first 3/4 of 2014, and that was before SoR even went on sale, so it looks to be genuinely doing well.)

In either event, it is interesting (though not surprising) to see that SWTOR remains in their good graces for now while these other four games were shut down, and I wonder what developments this little reminder that EA can and will discontinue its under-performing properties will spur at BW Austin.

Full EA Post:

Update on a Few of Our Free-to-Play PC Games

by Patrick Söderlund, EVP EA Studios

We’re constantly looking at how players are engaging with our games – listening, learning and shaping our experiences based on that feedback – and wanted to bring some news today regarding a few of our older PC free-to-play games.

Recently, we’ve been looking closely at the types of PC free-to-play experiences that players are engaging with across the world. For instance, Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ is a game that continues to have a very enthusiastic and growing player community, and we have plans to introduce more new story-driven game updates to our Star Wars: The Old Republic players this year.

On the other hand, some of our other PC free-to-play games are not as popular as they once were. So we find ourselves announcing the tough decision today that we are stopping development and winding down support for four PC free-to-play titles: Battlefield Heroes™, Battlefield™ Play4Free, Need for Speed™ World and FIFA World. These games will be live for another 90 days, after which they will go offline.

In more than five years since most of these titles launched, how we play games has changed dramatically. These were pioneering experiences, and we’re humbled that, over the years, so many of you joined us to enjoy the games and the community. While we say farewell to these free-to-play titles in the next few months, we are always exploring new concepts and ways to bring great games to more players around the world.

Edited by DarthDymond

In either event, it is interesting (though not surprising) to see that SWTOR remains in their good graces for now while these other four games were shut down, and I wonder what developments this little reminder that EA can and will discontinue its under-performing properties will spur at BW Austin.

The reminder will probably have no effect whatsoever on BioWare Austin truth be told.

The ONLY thing that probably had an effect was the cancellation of Shadow Realms, which, ultimately, was a wake up call of what awaits the developer, provided TOR starts to lapse, further down the road.

As always, one picture is worth a thousand words.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Lol yea I agree with Wicked. The picture says it all.

Sure I am glad for the game and that it got recognized but anything EA states means absolutely jack **** truth to be told. A lot of words but nothing behind it. Sure the numbers are still good but that won`t continue if they continue to put the only bare minimum back into the game. The top EA suits see the numbers but they have no idea about the state of the game.

EA just announced that over the next three months they are shutting down Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Play4Free, Need For Speed World, and FIFA World. In the announcement they specifically mentioned that SWTOR has a "very enthusiastic and growing player community," and echoed BW's line about plans to add "more new story-driven game updates to our Star Wars: The Old Republic players this year".

Of course any game that they continue to market (even just barely) will be given their full-throated support to the press... right up until the day they decide to axe it. So I do wonder whether behind the scenes the game is actually impressing EA to they extent that they say, or if it just squeaked by. (Apparently it had $106 million in revenue for the first 3/4 of 2014, and that was before SoR even went on sale, so it looks to be genuinely doing well.)

Full EA Post:

Update on a Few of Our Free-to-Play PC Games

by Patrick Söderlund, EVP EA Studios

We’re constantly looking at how players are engaging with our games – listening, learning and shaping our experiences based on that feedback – and wanted to bring some news today regarding a few of our older PC free-to-play games.

Recently, we’ve been looking closely at the types of PC free-to-play experiences that players are engaging with across the world. For instance, Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ is a game that continues to have a very enthusiastic and growing player community, and we have plans to introduce more new story-driven game updates to our Star Wars: The Old Republic players this year.

On the other hand, some of our other PC free-to-play games are not as popular as they once were. So we find ourselves announcing the tough decision today that we are stopping development and winding down support for four PC free-to-play titles: Battlefield Heroes™, Battlefield™ Play4Free, Need for Speed™ World and FIFA World. These games will be live for another 90 days, after which they will go offline.

In more than five years since most of these titles launched, how we play games has changed dramatically. These were pioneering experiences, and we’re humbled that, over the years, so many of you joined us to enjoy the games and the community. While we say farewell to these free-to-play titles in the next few months, we are always exploring new concepts and ways to bring great games to more players around the world.

It has to, with Episode 7 around the corner. Besides, I think SWTOR still has another 1-2 years on its licence, so they can't close it down. As for the other games, outside of FIFA, EA own everything there and are just making room for the next Battlefield game

And that revenue table is based on 2013. 2014s performance was lower profits as it was bunched with Sim City in shame

Edited by GrimRita

I agree that EA's presentation of their position on games is not reliable. For ex, just two weeks before Shadow Realm was axed there was a noted community rep who we might all know of posting on their forums that the game wouldn't be canceled.

I'm starting to lose hope for this game under this company.

I agree that EA's presentation of their position on games is not reliable. For ex, just two weeks before Shadow Realm was axed there was a noted community rep who we might all know of posting on their forums that the game wouldn't be canceled.

I'm starting to lose hope for this game under this company.

lol true. "Its absolutely not going to be axed" WIth EA everything is possible.

A suit with god knows how much money in his pockets tells that he is optimistic about a game he doesn`t play and has now idea of and people should be excited? Probably never played a game in his life as well.

EA simply lacks talented developers, vision, ideas....they actually lack in everything. So its no wonder this game continues to barely imp along. If it wasn`t Star Wars it would have been long gone.

Sure they are...

EA isn't afraid of closing a game down...Austin better take note.

I wouldn't worry about it until next year to be honest. It's a pretty big year for Star Wars all around. EA isn't going to neglect that money train. The IP is pretty much why this game still exists though.

I wouldn't worry about it until next year to be honest. It's a pretty big year for Star Wars all around. EA isn't going to neglect that money train. The IP is pretty much why this game still exists though.

I agree. And I'm not worried at all...I'm being realistic.

Edited by TUXs

Hi! I'm an enthusiastic new player! Been playing for three weeks on The Progenitor EU server.

I am fairly certain you have been informed that, as a new player, you are NOT allowed to say such things. Pessimism and uncertainty rule the day, NOT someone with a joyful demeanor such as yours.

Cease and relent all further attempts from hence forth, silly. :mad:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

What!? Come on now. It can't be doing well or making money :eek: Some are saying the end is near! DOOM I tell you! DOOOM!

In all seriousness. Yes the game is doing well and will continue to do so even though sometimes it looks like there isn't that much to do in between content patches. Especially for veterans. Don't worry guys :)

I am fairly certain you have been informed that, as a new player, you are NOT allowed to say such things. Pessimism and uncertainty rule the day, NOT someone with a joyful demeanor such as yours.

Cease and relent all further attempts from hence forth, silly. :mad:

Normally I would agree with you, but MMO forums bring out a stubborn, contrary streak in me, causing me to act unnaturally cheerful. It doesn't help that when I don't like a game, I don't <GASP!> play it! I certainly don't lurk on the forums (especially forums you need to pay to access (Stupid idea that)) bemoaning fate, existence and the lack of beer.

I certainly don't lurk on the forums (especially forums you need to pay to access (Stupid idea that)) bemoaning fate, existence and the lack of beer.

Anyone visiting this forum (or any internet forum really) without an ample supply of beer is just doing it wrong. There's a reason they provide plenty of free drinks at the Cantina Tour events.

Edited by DarthDymond