Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Did Disney indirectly make SWTOR cannon? CLONE WARS/DARTH BANE TRILIOGY SPOILERS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Did Disney indirectly make SWTOR cannon? CLONE WARS/DARTH BANE TRILIOGY SPOILERS

Rhyltran
08.31.2015 , 01:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DarknessInLight View Post
No? Then why would Disney show sudden interest in an expansion for a game that, for all intents and purposes, is non canon? A game, that Disney said, it would not be interfering with, as they praised the team at Bioware for the work they have done.....

Non canon material would not matter to what is considered canon, would it?
They praised the team and the game while calling it Non-Canon in the same breath.

nimmerstil
09.02.2015 , 11:24 AM | #22
Non canon material would not matter to what is considered canon, would it?
Yes it would, if it went squarely against against the iconic Star Wars concepts. SWToR already seems to stretch the conventional concepts by creating a Sith Empire that is not unquestionably evil and a Galactic Republic that is not unquestionably good. Though one could argue that the Empire from the movies is actually the Galactic Republic with an evil, tyrannical ruler, and thus not that different from SWToR's not completely evil Empire. :/

Anyway, even when non-canonical doing things like that, or for instance, giving a detailed 'scientific explanation' of the Force, would matter to them, a lot.

Andruism
10.06.2015 , 09:32 PM | #23
I would like to add to this by pointing out that Bioware is very specifically waiting until AFTER The Force Awakens before releasing the rest of the story for KotFE. Will there be connections with the film? Who can say? But it is a might suspicious that they would wait until afterwards rather than stagger the release from launch onwards...

Rhyltran
10.06.2015 , 09:41 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Andruism View Post
I would like to add to this by pointing out that Bioware is very specifically waiting until AFTER The Force Awakens before releasing the rest of the story for KotFE. Will there be connections with the film? Who can say? But it is a might suspicious that they would wait until afterwards rather than stagger the release from launch onwards...
There's a perfectly logical reason. The longer they wait the more they lose money.

Fyurii
10.07.2015 , 12:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Andruism View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
There's a perfectly logical reason. The longer they wait the more they lose money.
Or alternatively to boost potential subscriber numbers with the hype train of the film.
It's also probable that the staggered release might be Disney's handiwork for some reason, though I honestly hope it's not a case of upcoming content being released after the film because of links to something in the movie.

Of course it's also just as probable that it's to do with how long it would take before those parts are actually ready to go live and it's just a coincidence in timing.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Newyankalt
10.07.2015 , 12:46 AM | #26
No however Darth Revan (plus Bane) was originally supposed to appear in the Mortis episodes to sort of tempt Anakin.

Hiply
10.07.2015 , 02:50 PM | #27
It's Disney.

The people who have retconned so many myths and tales in order to make a buck that to ask what they will or won't do to Star Wars cannon is ridiculous.

Disney will do whatever Disney thinks is in their best financial interests and has no interest whatsoever in staying true to original stories. If that's staying mostly within the bounds of cannon then they will. If not, they won't. It's really just that simple.
From Beta - "I don't think it's reasonable to try and judge what is not in the game based on what we have not seen yet, in a game we have not played yet." Present Day - "It's ok, you can starting judging now."

OldVengeance
10.07.2015 , 03:11 PM | #28
Retconed? Disney doesn't own myths and folktales. Disney's movies are just adaptations.

Ghenghis-Khan
10.07.2015 , 03:17 PM | #29
Disney please make bane trilogy a movie, that would be awesome sauce. One would only pray they make Bane Cannon and actually do something with his story. How about Bane uses essence transfer over and over again and the new villain is actually darth bane in a new body in current timeline. Disney make it happen.
Do you like free stuff and a free subscription, just click this link. http://www.swtor.com/r/Dx6MFG
Santa wearing full mandalorian armor will come and give you a surprise if you do. But if your bad he enslaves you and forces you to play FFXI till you go insane.

Nefertuss
10.07.2015 , 03:26 PM | #30
Actually, the LucasFILM Story Group consulted on the script for KotFE. Disney has taken a sudden interest in SWTOR in the past 6 months. There are going to be tie-ins between this game and The Force Awakens when it hits theaters in December. At that point, I believe this game(and its story) becomes canonized. I predict a large swell of new players to this game once the movie comes out because of the connections that we will see.

Spoiler
Makes a helluvalot more sense than rebuilding the order on Yavin 4. I'm shellshocked the vaunted 'Master' Skywalker couldn't sense the dark side just oozing from those ruins like an omnipresent, all-encompassing black fog. Especially if as I suspect, the ruins in question were none other than the temple of sacrifice.
"Today I kicked a rancor's nads, the look on Vik's face... priceless!"

~Major Arwenin- Havoc Squad