Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Did Disney indirectly make SWTOR cannon? CLONE WARS/DARTH BANE TRILIOGY SPOILERS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Did Disney indirectly make SWTOR cannon? CLONE WARS/DARTH BANE TRILIOGY SPOILERS

PokeSaro
04.11.2015 , 12:34 PM | #1
SPOILERS AHEAD: In the lost mission series of the clone wars Yoda went to Korriban/Moraband and found Darth Bane, which makes Bane cannon. If Bane is canon then Revan has to be canon. Because Revan was a big part of Bane's story aswell as the reason behind ''The Rule of Two''. (which means KOTOR is also canon) Since Revan has such a huge part in SWTOR then does that make SWTOR canon aswell?
I have a bad feeling about this

Aurbere
04.11.2015 , 01:29 PM | #2
Darth Bane was an original Lucas idea and was made before Karpyshyn's Trilogy was even a thought. So, technically, anything Karpyshyn wrote wouldn't even need to be made canon for them to have Bane in TCW.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Wolfninjajedi
04.11.2015 , 02:25 PM | #3
Uh...no, just because Bane appeared doesn't make KOTOR/SWTOR/Revan or anything OR canon. Bane could be completely different in this.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

tunewalker
04.11.2015 , 05:11 PM | #4
Example... the existance of Dathomir has not made "Courtship of Princess Leia" ,that had their first appearance, Canon.

Senrie
04.12.2015 , 12:15 AM | #5
You can't cascade canon like that. Also, would hardly say Revan was a "big" part of Bane's story.

StarSquirrel
04.12.2015 , 12:26 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Senrie View Post
You can't cascade canon like that. Also, would hardly say Revan was a "big" part of Bane's story.
I never knew he was a part of Banes story at all to begin with.

Revan might have been mentioned in passing as an example of ancient Sith who inspired him, but he is hardly important in the grand scheme of things and like others mentioned, Bane was around long before Revan.

And yes, cascading cannon is a slippery slope and completely ridiculous. I assure you I can take everything that happens in SWTOR and link it (with your tenuous logic) to almost the entire Legends continuity at some point.

So if Kotor is cannon, then the Mandalorian wars are cannon, then the KOTOR Comics are cannon, so then Celeste Morne is Cannon, so then the Legacy Comics are cannon, so then the Fel Empire and Galactic Alliance are cannon, so the Legacy and FotJ novels are all cannon, so then the NJO and Vong are cannon, etc...

Yeah it doesn't work like that.
I know if you look deep into your heart- which is currently all over that tree- you'll find a way to forgive me.

Aww, geez you look like a puppy! A blonde, eviscerated puppy!

-Alucard

Beniboybling
04.12.2015 , 04:46 AM | #7
Bane as a character - the individual who destroyed the old Sith Order and established the Rule of Two - is canon, the details surrounding his history on the other hands are Legends.

BradTheImpaler
04.12.2015 , 03:37 PM | #8
This doesn't make Darth Bane's story (as told by Karpyshyn) canon, nor does it make Revan/SWTOR/KOTOR/etc. canon.

What it does show, though, is that Legends content is, as was already announced, something still there to be borrowed from. In effect, the Lucasfilm Story Group put Legends canon in the recycle bin, but they haven't clicked "Empty recycle bin".
"The gullible prattle on about the triumph of truth and justice, of individualism and free will, as if such things were solid and real instead of simple subjective judgments."
- Supreme Leader Snoke

Suromir
04.12.2015 , 08:07 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Darth Bane was an original Lucas idea and was made before Karpyshyn's Trilogy was even a thought. So, technically, anything Karpyshyn wrote wouldn't even need to be made canon for them to have Bane in TCW.
and even so Disney can take ANY star wars character and do whatever they want with them including picking and choosing individual aspects of it.

For instance they could have a guy named Thrawn, but he's a hutt. Or Mara Jade, but she's a twi'lek slave dancer. or never got married to luke..or anything they want to do.

and hint for the derps..SWTOR isn't and never has been "canon"
GTN "Scam" argument in a nutshell; "Decimals are harrrrrd, BioWare fix the harrrrrrd"

StarSquirrel
04.12.2015 , 10:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
and hint for the derps..SWTOR isn't and never has been "canon"
Yes it was released and was a part of canon prior to Disney's takeover, though certain elements hadn't been given a definite status (like PC convo choices) but the events surrounding and most that occur within the game are part of the EU (what is now Legends).

Currently SWTOR is a canon part of Legends continuity. Its status in D-canon is rather ambiguous, probably leaning heavily towards Legends with the chance of having elements salvaged for D-canon just like the rest of the EU.

I've heard rumors of bringing SWTOR into D-canon but just rumors and none that I have substantiated.
I know if you look deep into your heart- which is currently all over that tree- you'll find a way to forgive me.

Aww, geez you look like a puppy! A blonde, eviscerated puppy!

-Alucard