Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To DPS , From a tank:

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
To DPS , From a tank:

DustomaticGXC
12.24.2011 , 04:17 PM | #1
If you're reading this, you're probably here to get some insight into the mind of a tank; what we want from our group mates. Well, I have some for you.

Since there is no threat meter right now and you have to basically guess where your threat is like you used to back in the day, I beg you: don't be scared and tippy-toe around targets all worried about your aggro. DPS your tail off and let ME worry about aggro. If you pull something off of me, I'll take it back. If I can't, then I'll work harder to keep aggro next time. Struggling to hold aggro against great DPS makes one a better tank.

What I DO NOT want to do is spend two hours of my night in a Flashpoint because things aren't dying quickly enough. Efficiency, people. Efficiency.

Thank you, and have a great evening!
Don't act like you didn't see this coming.

Maliris
12.24.2011 , 06:49 PM | #2
I think the issue is since the game is still new, people are nervous about the quality of some of us tanks. I for sure have come across some extremely poor excuses. Seeing Juggs wearing light armor cuz it had defense on it was a good one, this was at lvl 37 as well.

DustomaticGXC
12.24.2011 , 09:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Maliris View Post
I think the issue is since the game is still new, people are nervous about the quality of some of us tanks. I for sure have come across some extremely poor excuses. Seeing Juggs wearing light armor cuz it had defense on it was a good one, this was at lvl 37 as well.
Oh, I know. But that's also my point. Help weed out the garbage tanks now, while the game is still young. Trial by fire, as it were. Adapt and get better, or get frustrated and quit. It's a win/win for the rest of us tanks. Less competition while tanking, and fewer terrible tanks while we're on dps/healer alts.

Tawkis
12.24.2011 , 09:25 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DustomaticGXC View Post
Oh, I know. But that's also my point. Help weed out the garbage tanks now, while the game is still young. Trial by fire, as it were. Adapt and get better, or get frustrated and quit. It's a win/win for the rest of us tanks. Less competition while tanking, and fewer terrible tanks while we're on dps/healer alts.
I expect this will work out like every other MMO in history. Anyone who is willing to put up with the abuse you get from Pick Up Group tanking will become a career tank.

If the game mechanics are well written, then DPS SHOULD be able to pull off the tanks, especially early. This means that your above "weeding out" does nothing to isolate "garbage" tanks. All it does is let DPS scapegoat.

As a general rule if the tank is losing aggro to the healer, the tank is probably missing something. If the tank is consistently losing aggro to DPS, then the DPS probably need to cool it for a few seconds.

DustomaticGXC
12.25.2011 , 08:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tawkis View Post
I expect this will work out like every other MMO in history. Anyone who is willing to put up with the abuse you get from Pick Up Group tanking will become a career tank.

If the game mechanics are well written, then DPS SHOULD be able to pull off the tanks, especially early. This means that your above "weeding out" does nothing to isolate "garbage" tanks. All it does is let DPS scapegoat.

As a general rule if the tank is losing aggro to the healer, the tank is probably missing something. If the tank is consistently losing aggro to DPS, then the DPS probably need to cool it for a few seconds.
Ah, there it is. "Willing to put up with abuse." Good tanks don't have the same problems in pugs than bad tanks do. I can count on one hand the number of times somebody said "gogogogo" or complained about something I did tanking in an instance in my 6+ years playing WoW (and not even once that I can recall in my 4ish years playing EQ. And yes, while there were no instances in EQ, you often pugged to farm).

You say that "if the mechanics are well written dps SHOULD be able to pull aggro, do I guess what you're saying is that EQ and WoW had poor mechanics? Because it just didn't happen like that. And I don't recall having any super-secret aggro abilities that other tanks didn't have. I DO remember quite a few other tanks whining about "bad dps" pulling things off of them all the time.

Listen, if once in a while you lose aggro, that one individual dpser is probably at fault. If you're losing it often enough to see it as a problem within the DPS community... It's actually a problem with YOU.

I've never heard anything I would classify as "abuse" while tanking. In years and years of pugging. Stop crying and be accountable or stop tanking.

MrSteak
12.25.2011 , 01:49 PM | #6
I've only PUG'd in this game, and haven't had a single wipe since beta weekends. I'm fairly pleased with the DPS characters I've run across so far, in that they don't charge into battle first and they lighten up their DPS for a bit while I generate threat if I lose it.

I will say that so far, Merc healers are my very favorite to group with. I don't know if that's because I'm an assassin or not, but they've done an excellent job so far.

HHHHellraizer
12.26.2011 , 09:51 PM | #7
Pulling aggro is quite hard off a good tank, and if i do happen to lose aggro, who cares i have taunt. The mob doesnt move more than 2 ft before i grab it again.