Read here first... you PVP pro 'you'

Killamanjaroo

Read here first… PVP eSports hero's

First, you will need to move beyond the notion that this is a serious PVP game. The foremost reason is the player base. When ranked matches where announced and pulled the night before the patch, many good players left the game and haven’t returned.

a. PVP ‘good’ population -50%.

Next, the removal of 8v8’s in ranked matches, effectively removing certain classes and object oriented PVP. More good players left, with some of the bad ones they carried.

b. Remaining ‘good’ PVP population -50%

With the addition of arenas, ability changes, nerfs, buffs, other games, you guessed it:

c. Remaining ‘good’ PVP population -50%

Leaving SWTOR with roughly 100*.5)*.5)*.5 = 12.5% good players remaining from what it had.

Now…

The dev’s here will never, ever implement the changes that people invest a lot of thought into. Why you ask? More math…

Developers average ~55-90k in the United States. The changes to abilities, balancing, UI, animations, etc. would all take tons of development time to code and test. It would cost a good amount of money to solution the changes needed to produce better balance. Not a dollar amount that the Producer can position when his bonuses, etc. are based of the profitability of subscriber base (Cartel market) vs. PVP changes.

The other issue is the technology. The engine doesn’t lend itself to ORvR. No cross server possible, etc., bad pings to servers (need a Texas/Chicago server farm to make both coasts happy).

TL:DR

You aren’t as good as the people that came and left before you, Bioware doesn’t make enough money to listen, and the changes required to satisfy for the average player aren’t worth the effort.

So queue up, enjoy it for what it is which is a great story line and intellectual property, and do what I do and hope that a PVP sandbox game comes out with all the features and more and isn’t free to play.

First, you will need to move beyond the notion that this is a serious PVP game..

Define your terms of what a serious pvp game is, aside from enormous time sink games that provide enormous punishments for a loss. I'd like to hear your examples of where the leet pvp'ers went to, or should go;

"but oh! ...the great ones who left the game"....

I geuss it's not enough to be able to kill your opponents anymore guys... time to pack up...lmao, ffs

Define your terms of what a serious pvp game is, aside from enormous time sink games that provide enormous punishments for a loss. I'd like to hear your examples of where the leet pvp'ers went to, or should go;

"but oh! ...the great ones who left the game"....

I geuss it's not enough to be able to kill your opponents anymore guys... time to pack up...lmao, ffs

You are describing what many are searching for (no games currently have that) - realm pride, pvp for the sake of pvp etc.

I'll describe a game for you,

-Open RvR where you could roam and find people to kil, duel, small game play, large game play

-9x warzones at launch

-Warzones for each tier of play (i.e. level 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40

-Collision

-Addons (fun stuff to keep track of people you kill and vice versa)

-pvp progression

-you could level entirely by pvp

-diverse classes, each with unique abilities

-the ability to lock open rvr zones and progress to the opposite factions fort, then king

-had to pick a faction and stick to it, you couldn't have a toon on 'both' sides so you fostered realm pride

-you couldn't 'chat;' with the other side so you crap talking was reduced to /bow, /wave

-you could inspect gear in the forums and while offline to check out opponents

One example and it was a sandbox game where the PVE was an after thought that died because of PVE/PVP hybrid game saturation (RIFT, SWTOR).

You are describing what many are searching for (no games currently have that) - realm pride, pvp for the sake of pvp etc.

-Open RvR where you could roam and find people to kil, duel, small game play, large game play

-9x warzones at launch

-Collision

-pvp progression

-the ability to lock open rvr zones and progress to the opposite factions fort, then king

-had to pick a faction and stick to it, you couldn't have a toon on 'both' sides so you fostered realm pride

-you couldn't 'chat;' with the other side so you crap talking was reduced to /bow, /wave

One example and it was a sandbox game where the PVE was an after thought that died because of PVE/PVP hybrid game saturation (RIFT, SWTOR).

Another example that doesn't quite fit all of your criteria but also comes to mind, was Age of Conan. No support from developers, but no room for the faint of heart either.

So if someone came and went before player X, then player X is not as good as the player that came and went before him/her? :confused:

Are you smoking mac n cheese? That is short sighted thinking. And since I thought of it first, you sir must be wrong!;)

Good day to you! :p

So if someone came and went before player X, then player X is not as good as the player that came and went before him/her? :confused:

Are you smoking mac n cheese? That is short sighted thinking. And since I thought of it first, you sir must be wrong!;)

Good day to you! :p

I have yet to see on both PVP servers in 3 years the level of players and play that were here the first year. Good players will agree.

You will understand this one day when you reach my level of PVP enlightenment. It's like the Matrix where you realize you are in a box that some 20'something year old created the impulse buy and addiction model.

The Matrix has you.

I have yet to see on both PVP servers in 3 years the level of players and play that were here the first year. Good players will agree.

You will understand this one day when you reach my level of PVP enlightenment. It's like the Matrix where you realize you are in a box that some 20'something year old created the impulse buy and addiction model.

The Matrix has you.

the videos were definately more entertaining, but gameplay....yeah not really. Todays vets are just as good, albiet less plentiful. I think they only thing they really lack is the coordination. Arenas are about as dull as you can get as far as competetive pvp goes......, but other than lack of objective gameplay, most of the players who left arent really any better than most who are still here.

It takes at most 2 months from dinging 60 to figure out practically all their is to know about a class. Maybe another 2 months to figure out how to beat all of the other classes, or atleast counterplay most of thier abiliities, and then maybe another 2 months to figure out how to work with a team to beat other teams.

Overall 6 months is all it takes for someone to go from fresh 60 to knowledgeable player. This isnt even bringing into the equation people who level by doing a lot of pvp, and people who are already on thier 3 or 4th alt, and who already know half of what they need to make the class perfrom.

This game isnt that hard to figure out.

SWTOR isnt exactly pushing the envelope with new abilities, or class archetypes, though scoundrel healer is pretty unique in its own right, but the rest are easily comparable to other class archetypes form other games.

I dont know where people get the idea that an MMO toon is that hard to figure out. Saw a video the other day where the guy was like "how does it feel to get beaten by someone whose been playing the class for 2 months while you have been playing it since launch".....like the class has that much to discover after two months of playing with it. Like O ****, THIS CLASS HAS A BUBBLE, HELL YEAH, BONUS.

Edited by Haystak

First, you will need to move beyond the notion that this is a serious PVP game.

This is pretty much true. When I really want to get my PvP on I jump in BF4.

When I sort of just want to chillax and shoot lasers I jump into SWTOR. I'm certainly having more fun though now that I've finally found some peeps interested in running and sticking with Ranked 4s. Hopefully other players will do the same, but I doubt it.

The player base in this game just isn't that competitive for the most part, even on PvP Servers. Most players would rather buy jetpacks from the CM or play barbie in their stronghold than queue up for any form of Ranked. Whatevs...

You aren’t as good as the people that came and left before you, Bioware doesn’t make enough money to listen, and the changes required to satisfy for the average player aren’t worth the effort.

I don't think your first statement is true at all. There are still a lot of highly skilled peeps in game. I've routinely seen players who were previously considered l33t come back to the game and get completely wrecked.

One thing I will agree on though is that the majority of the current player base definitely does not possess the same competitive spirit of the players that were around in year one of this game. Peeps now are more interested in Season Rewards and other lame azz fluff than bettering themselves, their gameplay or being the best.

I often believe that PvP is - at least in SWTOR - rather not about competition,

but rather about bragging.

When I was new to SWTOR - my first MMORPG with PvP - I thought I'd have bettles among equals, matches with teams of equal skill, fighting for points as much as possible.

I was soon taught that "equalness" is not what players wish for.

That made me bitter and cynical.

And 8v8 = objective team play was soon replaced by 4v4 = domnination / egoism team play ...

In the end, PvP in SWTOR has become what I see in soccer : A few high-class teams dominate everything. Thus, soccer has become utterly boring ... Except when you look at the amateur league ... or even lower than this ...

And European "Champion' League" = a few teams whoch are dominating their home countries' leagues so much that they just cannot find any competition among equals anymore are forming a league of their own kind ... a typical "closed circles" problem ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Another example that doesn't quite fit all of your criteria but also comes to mind, was Age of Conan. No support from developers, but no room for the faint of heart either.

This games path looks awfully close to when Warhammer online went. ... the original producers gave the rights/game to ea, ea just sucked it dry. That game had all that you described open rvr, relm pride, lvl through solely through pvp, ect. What happenwd to that game it died due to ea ( the new devs) not listening to the players. Only thing that game didnt have was cross server ability yet it could have 4 to 5 warbands against 4 to 5 warbands in 1 zone wity no lag each warband was 24 players you do the math.

We have the tech but thats what I am not getting at, sadly this game is slowly dieing and it is directly due to the company being gready. It seems to me that they are sucking this game dry by not really listening to thier player base that pays them for the product. This game like Warhammer has alot of potential, but sadly thebig head honchos are not caring.

Bad trend, only reason why I play is because I am still having fun, good story and still somewhat fun pvp but I am sure that will get old soon for me too. Just have to wait for warhammer 40k and or daro age of Camelot dark age to come out.

Sry for the rant guys have a good one :) and happy hunting

This games path looks awfully close to when Warhammer online went. ... the original producers gave the rights/game to ea, ea just sucked it dry. That game had all that you described open rvr, relm pride, lvl through solely through pvp, ect. What happenwd to that game it died due to ea ( the new devs) not listening to the players. Only thing that game didnt have was cross server ability yet it could have 4 to 5 warbands against 4 to 5 warbands in 1 zone wity no lag each warband was 24 players you do the math.

We have the tech but thats what I am not getting at, sadly this game is slowly dieing and it is directly due to the company being gready. It seems to me that they are sucking this game dry by not really listening to thier player base that pays them for the product. This game like Warhammer has alot of potential, but sadly thebig head honchos are not caring.

Bad trend, only reason why I play is because I am still having fun, good story and still somewhat fun pvp but I am sure that will get old soon for me too. Just have to wait for warhammer 40k and or daro age of Camelot dark age to come out.

Sry for the rant guys have a good one :) and happy hunting

The warhammer team is running pvp in this game now. WE can only hope when the contract is signed over to Disney, they fire everyone on the dev team and hire competent people.

The warhammer team is running pvp in this game now. WE can only hope when the contract is signed over to Disney, they fire everyone on the dev team and hire competent people.

If we could only be so fortunate.

With this IP it had/has the potential to have the best pvp.

3x factions where the bounty hunters could be the third faction.

Tons of classes and potential.

Open RVR if a new engine with insane planet scapes, etc.

Warzones that begin in pod races or ships, then turns into objective based pvp (although at this point I think lobby based pvp is a mistake in gaming. Warhammer scenarios contributed points to locking a zone so there was an overall impact).

If I were Disney I would offline this sucker in a hearbeat and begin recreating it the right way. Morgan Freeman, etc. narrating some story crap that R.A. Salvatore writes. Heck, even some garbage where you could record your own voice in the beginning and have that be your voice in the story.

Anyway, if you enable them and the cartel market they'll never change. The Matrix has you.

3x faction Swtor in a nutshell.

Have Warzones where if enough folks were in the queue you could have say, 5 warzones that were created for 3x faction objective play. Repubs, Imps, and Bounty/Alien types.

If the population were low, the 3rd faction could be absorbed into either side and have say, 5 warzones there created for 2x faction objective play.

It's sad that most of the population in gaming right now has probably never experienced good oRVR with 100's going to defend a thing, insane battles, etc. and something to fight for. This lobby crap sucks but you think they could at least do it right.

-9x warzones at launch

-Collision

-pvp progression

Wait, so I can't chat to other faction, or even play it....yet somehow I am able to fully view and understand my enemies gear? Seems kind of hypocritical in this universe of yours. I am against that completely. In fact, character classes should be hidden in my opinion. The only thing you should be able to tell about a character is their name, you can look at their outfit, weapons, watch for abilities to figure out who they are. That's real. You don't go to war and go "Oh look that's the captain...I can tell there is a symbol hovering over his head from behind a wall" That other guy who hasn't drawn his weapon yet is a sniper! yadda yadda....and realm pride? Also you can lvl entirely by pvp I have 11 characters that have lvld up not pveing minus starter planet.

Other note some of it does sound interesting or cool, but you might as well not even dream about it when it comes to this game... Uh, you can get a different hilt for your hatred sin ...that'll show em that you are not a fotm sheep...you're unique.

Edited by VixenRawR

If we could only be so fortunate.

With this IP it had/has the potential to have the best pvp.

3x factions where the bounty hunters could be the third faction.

Tons of classes and potential.

Open RVR if a new engine with insane planet scapes, etc.

Warzones that begin in pod races or ships, then turns into objective based pvp (although at this point I think lobby based pvp is a mistake in gaming. Warhammer scenarios contributed points to locking a zone so there was an overall impact).

If I were Disney I would offline this sucker in a hearbeat and begin recreating it the right way. Morgan Freeman, etc. narrating some story crap that R.A. Salvatore writes. Heck, even some garbage where you could record your own voice in the beginning and have that be your voice in the story.

Anyway, if you enable them and the cartel market they'll never change. The Matrix has you.

I'm hoping they will see how the game is declining and do something drastic, because as much as I don't agree with their business practices sometimes, I hear the game got signed over for 10 years, so I think they are indeed going to do something drastic. Say anything you want about them, but they take care of their products.

I'm confused. You said current pvpers are not as good as the old ones that left? That is where you confused me buddy. I'll explain.

1. When people left the Lvl was 50. Have you noticed were Lvl 60 now?

2. Classes in this game change a lot. New FOTM specs are rolled everyday. What makes you think that the once die hard mara who was unbeatable in season 1 will do amazin in season 4?

3. We also have arenas. Arenas made your "God like" pvpers leave... So yeah.

4. People who are pvping now are normally

a) vets

b) PVP only players

c) pvers looking for CQ rewards

d) or new players/older training to learn pvp with the spec they are using or new class they are trying out.

5. We have reg stars the "pros" if regular warzones. These are people who are not good at arenas or hate them. Also these reg stars have master all the Warzones. Really not that hard but it is what it is.

So please explain you ignorance a little better or don't post at all.

So please explain you ignorance a little better or don't post at all.

Apparently, you are not on a real PVP server but on a Role Playing Server. I'll write it in crayon.

In the beginning there were 10,000 good players. When most of those quit, the remaining (say 500 players) flocked to the real PVP servers (Bastian/POT5). Of those 500'ish players, maybe, and this is a big maybe, 20-50 of those log in anymore.

This results in my very fair statement, 'most of the good players left' and the absolute fact that what remains is probably a few solid/good players but nothing like the quality (because of the pool size) we had in the beginning.

But I have to ask, what other games have you PVP'd in and were considered a great player to a degree that you can state I shouldn't post at all?

You want real pvp that takes skill? How about Tera or Archage instead of easy mode tab target games like this one. There's no skill in tabbing to next player and pressing buttons. Try aiming your abilities while simultaneously dodging the abilities of other enemies. There is 0 skill involved in swtor pvp, period. The only defining trait of a "good" player vs a "bad" player is how mechanically aware a player is and how far in advance a player can think. That's no harder than learning to play chess well. Good try though, you almost had me for a second :rolleyes:

You want real pvp that takes skill? How about Tera or Archage instead of easy mode tab target games like this one. There's no skill in tabbing to next player and pressing buttons. Try aiming your abilities while simultaneously dodging the abilities of other enemies. There is 0 skill involved in swtor pvp, period. The only defining trait of a "good" player vs a "bad" player is how mechanically aware a player is and how far in advance a player can think. That's no harder than learning to play chess well. Good try though, you almost had me for a second :rolleyes:

Agreed there. Target based PVP is the way to go. Check out Warhammer 40k.

I played Tera for a bit (too much RnG on improving gear). Tab based PVP can't completely showcase skill but movement, clever use of abilities, etc. helps.

Quake is the ultimate in twitch based skill, but lacked the complexity. I think somewhere between Quake and Warhammer is a good mix.

Apparently, you are not on a real PVP server but on a Role Playing Server. I'll write it in crayon.

In the beginning there were 10,000 good players. When most of those quit, the remaining (say 500 players) flocked to the real PVP servers (Bastian/POT5). Of those 500'ish players, maybe, and this is a big maybe, 20-50 of those log in anymore.

This results in my very fair statement, 'most of the good players left' and the absolute fact that what remains is probably a few solid/good players but nothing like the quality (because of the pool size) we had in the beginning.

But I have to ask, what other games have you PVP'd in and were considered a great player to a degree that you can state I shouldn't post at all?

World of Warcraft I carry lower geared people in ranked over there. I've beaten the servers best pvpers on mutilple servers since cross servers makes that easy. So this is not my first game. Like I said ignorant.

Read here first… PVP eSports hero's

First, you will need to move beyond the notion that this is a serious PVP game.

Amen to that. This retarded joke of an unbalanced mess of ever changing fotm's aka pvp in swtor by definition cannot be taken seriously. And so-called pvp guilds (especially on a pve server) who think that they are something because they queue for regs as premades in full ranked gear and wow, they win, or spit curses and abuses at people who queue in pve gear for regs...

I would wonder why such people as pvp trolls exist. Now it's clearer to me lol Vicious, mean, toxic **** from such guilds, the way they act in regs (not ranked) towards other ppl, casual players, seems to be both the reason why trolls are there and moreover, what they deserve. I do not support pvp trolling at all, ranked trolling specifically, but I also have zero sympathy for someone's rating going down because of them. Pvp community is surprisingly unfriendly, angry and vicious for a game where there's no real pvp.

Edited by Preston_Violent