Underlurker weirdness

Hi there,

I just want to check in if anybody else is having a weird time with the Underlurker. My OP group tries to down him, but we are facing issues that make it very hard to properly do this fight:

- sometimes the red circles and dropping stones do not show up during collapse. Sometimes the green safe zones can be seen in this instance, but sometimes nothing is there. This happens randomly, effecting 2 or 3 members of our raid group. Funnily, it is effecting people with really good hardware not our guys with older machines that have problems in other OP's.

- when we do Forcequake to hit the Adds with as much AoE as possible, they sometimes do not take any damage. We double checked it with a single Add that was clearly in the middle of the AoE-Circle on three of our clients, yet it didn't take a single tick of damage and was at 100% health after the quake.

We compared our parses as well and one sage did around 4k dps on this fight (seeing damage ticks on all adds) whereas the other only managed around 2k. After 2 tries they put their AoE circles exactly on the same spot, but nothing changed.

Having people die randomly because they happen to be in a spot where boulders drop without getting the indicating red circles sucks, as does doing absolutely no damage with what should be one of the best abilities for this fight.

My question now is: Are other groups facing the same issues? If yes, how do you deal with it? Or do you have any other ideas how we could deal with it?

Next week we will try not to use any AoE and instead focus fire the Adds one by one and just follow our tank behind the boulder (so far he had all visual clues available), but this night it was really annoying to fight the Underlurker.

Hi there,

I just want to check in if anybody else is having a weird time with the Underlurker.

Underlurker has a very bugged mechanics, even if you do it right it can bug out and whipe the group.

It is not a learn to play issue because everyone can do exactly what they are supposed to do yet the fight fails.

I have seen it several times bug out so I am writing of my own experience.

Underlurker is not fun to do, it is sad they let this mechanic make it into the game.

Edited by Icestar

Havent seen most of your issues but I do know the following.

There are 3 adds. Lets call the one clos to the entrance A, middle B and last one C.

For some reason it is very hard to hit B and C in an AoE while A and B are very easy.

The area around C is annoying, I notice it with healing and with my shadow's Force in Balance.

So focus AoE on A and B and single out C.

Underlurker is not fun to do, it is sad they let this mechanic make it into the game.

When my guild was learning UL, I totes agreed with you. Now, in a little bit of hindsight (not much, UL is still new to us), I have slightly changed my opinion.

I think it is overall a 'cool in theory' fight. The problem is that it highlights (as I understand them) the issues this game's net code has with identifying the location of players vs mobs and terrain.

OP, one little cheese tip is to jump when you make it to a required location: green safe area and the proper position of the cross. Forum-Intel says that helps the game update your location. Of course, this is of no help if the safety zone is not even rendering. I haven't seen that one myself, but, I totally believe it.

We're all jumping in the green safe zone behind the rocks as well as in the cross. We do get the cross green consistently (if all of us are still alive, that is).

But what really killed last raid night for us were missing indicators for falling rocks ... and that after we've been in a high mood for a flawless Sword Squadroon kill :(

Anyway, when I watch YT for good Underlurker kills, these groups manage to down adds faster then we do, giving them more time for good positioning. I think if we can get adds down quicker, most things will be easier. But it makes me kind of angry that we cannot be sure if we are doing it wrong or if the game doesn't behave as expected.

Not all red circles spawn at the same time. They come one after another, so sometimes you see a circle pop under you and immediatly get hit by it. That can happen when UL has almost finished casting collapse.

I had this sometimes when I killed an add, charged to the boss and that moment the circle spawned right where I'm charging to and the rock hit me the moment I landed behind the boss:D

But I've never seen rocks spawning without an indicator circle beforehand. It CAN happen that you don't see it because of aoe animations and such(phasewalk for example)

And for forcequake: You have to place it EXACTLY in the middle between two lurkerlings, otherwise you'll hit only one.

Edited by Torvai

Not all red circles spawn at the same time. They come one after another, so sometimes you see a circle pop under you and immediatly get hit by it. That can happen when UL has almost finished casting collapse.

I had this sometimes when I killed an add, charged to the boss and that moment the circle spawned right where I'm charging to and the rock hit me the moment I landed behind the boss:D

But I've never seen rocks spawning without an indicator circle beforehand. It CAN happen that you don't see it because of aoe animations and such(phasewalk for example)

And for forcequake: You have to place it EXACTLY in the middle between two lurkerlings, otherwise you'll hit only one.

That could be an explanation for the boulders. But I also had this happen to myself that I didn't see any boulders just the green safe zone that appears right behind them (I did see a green marked area floating around, but no boulder). I do have rather good hardware and never had this kind of thing happen before in any of the OP's, things usually appear on my screen even if they don't on the crappier hardware of some of my mates (Adds in TC for example which sometimes can only be seen at the second spawn cycle for them).

As for the forcequake, we know that placing it correctly is crucial. But our sage did put it on only one add (centered around that add) and we did see the AoE marker around this add (we did it on a failed try and the three of us were dead alredy so we tested and looked closely) and after the channel time of force quake this add was still at 100%. Didn't take a single tick of damage. Really weird.

But I have to say that with all problems that are reported about the Underlurker nobody seems to be mentioning things like what's happening to us. Mostly people report that the cross mechanic is not working correctly, but this seems to be ok for my group as we usually get it green, and if not we can see what went wrong. So, the boulder thing is probably what Torvai explained and for the Forcequake I have no idea. Anyway many groups can make it past UL so we will probably just need to get better :D

Still, if you have similar things happening to you any advise how to approach it would be very welcome.

All of the mechanics in that fight are buggy. It needs to completely redesigned from the very beginning. My guild killed it for the first time yesterday cos we found that if you just stack in the middle of the boss and ignore the mechanics, the cross will sometimes still go green, will sometimes go green and red at the same time and even when it does go red it still does damage that can be healed because the group is stacked.

The Underlurker fight is glitchy as all hell. I pulled the damn thing two nights ago at least 15 times and after a one or two pulls to teach the pug in our group almost every wipe was caused by the fight glitching out on us. I ran out a red circle only to be teleported back to the middle for an insta death. Multiple people, including myself, would be standing the cross only have it not register everyone where they should be. In summary, it's glitchy as all hell so focus the single target DPS on one add at a time and keep pulling till you get one that isn't glitching to badly.

I've seen every one of the bugs you've mentioned.

Rocks not appearing. Green safe boxes with invisible rocks. Also add to the list mobs that are unreachable when targetted by AOE, only to be hit when you restart the AOE.

In theory this is a really cool fight. In practice, it is made needlessly difficult because of all of the glitches, and bugs with the mechanics.

As of the last patch the cross mechanic seems to be working better but the other bugs remain.

As for the forcequake, we know that placing it correctly is crucial. But our sage did put it on only one add (centered around that add) and we did see the AoE marker around this add (we did it on a failed try and the three of us were dead alredy so we tested and looked closely) and after the channel time of force quake this add was still at 100%. Didn't take a single tick of damage. Really weird.

This happens when the lurkerlings jump in the air. If the damage tick of forcequake occurs while the add is up in the air, it doesn't take damage. Since forcequake ticks at the same speed as the lurkerlings jump, they'll never take damage for the whole channel duration.