swtor - a platform for a cash shop

MuratReis

The "expansion" added nothing but dailies and a few levels and some cut and paste operations. Tactical FPs have destroyed casual PvE. Ranked PvP too unbalanced and repetitive to enjoy. But guess what comes every month with new, creative ideas built into them? You guessed it -- cartel packs!! Even emotes are linked to the cash shop. And I've been paying a sub :( I feel like an idiot... Edited by MuratReis

I have been playing for about two months since the new Xpac came out, I quit back in summer of '12...

The CartelCoin Shop, is PURELY COSMETIC.

For $15 a month, you have all you need! Yes a lot of cool Legacy Unlocks can be pricey at first...Yes, But honestly SWTOR has the most balanced CashShop or whatever you want to call it, I have Ever seen! I spent $40 on CC ONE TIME, grabbed a few adaptive armors and legacy unlocks...That was almost two months ago. I have no desire to buy more.

I remember when I first started playing everyday after work for at least three hours, eventually after a few weeks, I got BURNED out. That's when I went to go read a book, Watch some TV Series or w.e. and came back a week later.

If the game feels tedious, it's because your brain wants to go do something else... Hope you refresh and come back!

Edited by hiddenpookie

I have been playing for about two months since the new Xpac came out, I quit back in summer of '12...

The CartelCoin Shop, is PURELY COSMETIC.

For $15 a month, you have all you need! Yes a lot of cool Legacy Unlocks can be pricey at first...Yes, But honestly SWTOR has the most balanced CashShop or whatever you want to call it, I have Ever seen! I spent $40 on CC ONE TIME, grabbed a few adaptive armors and legacy unlocks...That was almost two months ago. I have no desire to buy more.

I remember when I first started playing everyday after work for at least three hours, eventually after a few weeks, I got BURNED out. That's when I went to go read a book, Watch some TV Series or w.e. and came back a week later.

If the game feels tedious, it's because your brain wants to go do something else... Hope you refresh and come back!

I agree. The Cartel Shop isn't intrusive. My only complaint about its existence is that it takes away from certain types of development; for example, designing cool stuff for crafters to make and sell. Done right, that could provide some interesting opportunities. Cash shops really limit a MMO's potential, but so does budgeting and lack of creativity among developers.

My true complaint is that the cash shop is what gets most the attention. The "expansion" really is just a buggy, laggy daily area and some story. The talent re-organization was an uninspired attempt at doing something...I'm not sure what, really -- my class didn't even get a new ability, just a re-naming of a previously existing one with a buff that came from a nerf of an ability that was only nerfed in order to make the "new" ability seem new. The DPS rotation is exactly the same....As for ops, once you do the 50 operations and TFB on HM, you pretty much get the mechanics for ops in this game. I didn't read anything for the new ops, but was able to complete them easily with a random group -- basically, don't stand in **** and pay attention to what you attack. I haven't done them on HM, though. As for casual PvE, I really don't like tactical FPs. No strategy or skill involved with them. I do like the new 60 HM FP, but it takes days for me to get a group together that can do it -- I play at off times (my fault, I guess), but a cross-server queue should fix this for me. PvP? WZs are fun. Arenas are boring as **** and my class doesn't do well in them. The stats on the leaderboards proves this. There are few that succeed, but I really don't know how they do it. I tried and tried again. It's worse now than it's ever been. This is the main reason I don't like ranked: it's just not fun getting FF-ed down within 30s of combat every match. Not to mention the awkward "let's wait to see who attacks first" procedure. That's not fun either...

So when pack after pack is released with some pretty cool stuff that is nearly bug-less, I feel frustrated. My toon has been around -- decently geared now with the right stats. Has 100 valor and about 40k kills since the achievement system came out. I've been around. I guess that's why I'm bothered by the state of the current game.

Edited by MuratReis

God no crafter prices are the most stupidly over priced stuff in game I'd rather pay mony to fund bioware than line the pockets of some guy who logs 22 alts none stop farming mats. Crafting is fine as it is an unobtrusive completely optional thing that is not the solo source of cool looking exclusive items. Also with out the cash shop tor would be dead from lack of profit

God no crafter prices are the most stupidly over priced stuff in game I'd rather pay mony to fund bioware than line the pockets of some guy who logs 22 alts none stop farming mats. Crafting is fine as it is an unobtrusive completely optional thing that is not the solo source of cool looking exclusive items. Also with out the cash shop tor would be dead from lack of profit

A lot of thought and work would need to be put into a crafting system to make it work. I don't want to go there. Some people don't mind cash shops either, and that's ok. I'm not into them.

As for the game being shut down without the cash shop, I agree. I don't think the Bioware devs can make a true sub-based MMO. It isn't easy. Just because you can write a cool RPG, doesn't mean you can make a good MMORPG...

Edited by MuratReis

If this game did not have PvE or PvP or anything, only had the player creation and fleet to show off cartel market costumes, it still would make 100 million $ every month. Star Wars name have power beyond imagination.

That's not too far off. Compare this game to Eve or WoW....it's way, way behind them in MMO features.

That's not too far off. Compare this game to Eve or WoW....it's way, way behind them in MMO features.

Mate, sane people play this game for the voice acting, story and the Star Wars name. If you're not in it for those things, then why torture yourself when you can go play a MMO that's better in all the other ways.

Mate, sane people play this game for the voice acting, story and the Star Wars name. If you're not in it for those things, then why torture yourself when you can go play a MMO that's better in all the other ways.

Good point. I would say that I'm sane, though. The PvP was a lot of fun for a long time. Just got old. No story there. I do like SW. That's why I played in the first place.

Edited by MuratReis

Im going to be honest, I'm actually going to stop playing in the next month or so, I'm jumping back to FFXIV to play with real life friends. The last time I had so much fun playing an MMO was Everquest back in 2002 and SWTOR In December when I was grinding my way to 60 and enjoying it. I logged in today for 30 mins and then got off. I have nothing against this game, It has provided hundreds of hours of fun, But when you level a Merc to 60 and realize that you are terrible, It get's annoying. I played SWG, and did the village to become a jedi and avoided getting killed. I dont feel like waving around a Saber, and I am punished for it in this game. Why? Because Jedi weilding classes are what produces Cartel Coins in this game. PERIOD.

Im going to be honest, I'm actually going to stop playing in the next month or so, I'm jumping back to FFXIV to play with real life friends. The last time I had so much fun playing an MMO was Everquest back in 2002 and SWTOR In December when I was grinding my way to 60 and enjoying it. I logged in today for 30 mins and then got off. I have nothing against this game, It has provided hundreds of hours of fun, But when you level a Merc to 60 and realize that you are terrible, It get's annoying. I played SWG, and did the village to become a jedi and avoided getting killed. I dont feel like waving around a Saber, and I am punished for it in this game. Why? Because Jedi weilding classes are what produces Cartel Coins in this game. PERIOD.

You have a point there. I played a sorc to 50 and it was amazing how op they were compared to my main. I mean, sorcs are currently immune to interrupts! (All though this is a lingering bug.) But I think it's probably a case of poor class balancing. Again, Bioware can't make a MMO, so they depend on story and the cartel market.

Edited by MuratReis

Welcome to modern gaming. Just be happy that the cartel market in this game is 100% separated from the gameplay (for subs). I, for one, have never spent a dime on CC, and I still have more of them than I even know what to do with because of the monthly stipend.

The one thing that has kept this game going is the CM. It's their primary income, some subs I've seen buy a totally unreasonable amount of packs/things. Without it, there wouldn't be a forum to complain on.

A lot of complaints come from people that have been playing straight for a long time. I personally don't play any game for more than a 3, occasionally 4 month stretch. I miss out on some things sure, but I'm never whining in the forums about anything because when I get bored I go get something fresh. Doesn't help to complain and keep paying.

TL;DR CM keeps the game alive, if you're bored, play something else.

The one thing that has kept this game going is the CM. It's their primary income, some subs I've seen buy a totally unreasonable amount of packs/things. Without it, there wouldn't be a forum to complain on.

A lot of complaints come from people that have been playing straight for a long time. I personally don't play any game for more than a 3, occasionally 4 month stretch. I miss out on some things sure, but I'm never whining in the forums about anything because when I get bored I go get something fresh. Doesn't help to complain and keep paying.

TL;DR CM keeps the game alive, if you're bored, play something else.

Yeah but EAs own metrics show them that the mass majority of cartel purchases are done by SUBSCRIBERS (not preferred or F2P players)

So really the cartel market is only valuable to EA as long as they can continue to maintain a certain level of subscribers.

The F2P and Preferred in this game really are out for a completely free ride.

Im not in a position to know if Im correct or not but Im assuming if this game had to be developed solely on subscription dollars things would stagnate for longer intervals.

This game WAS developed and designed for subscription only

The F2P/ Cartel Market was never intended for this game but when subscription numbers sank to huge lows because of how badly EA was mishandling this title at launch, they were forced to create a hybred system to try and shore up revenue.

Again by their own admission, what happened is that the remaining subscribers then started buying from the Cartel Market (in other words EA was successful at double/triple/quadruple dipping from their sub base).

The F2P and Preffered base for this game have NOT been successful outting here for most part

and much of that has to do with this game never being designed for F2P/Preffered/Cartel Market concepts/designs.

So not sure what you think you are saying here because for the first year this was strictly a subscriber only game. Which is how it was intended to be for ever.

Also should point out that the game attracted more then enough subscribers to be hugely profitable and successful as a subscription based game. How ever EA was not willing to hold up their end of the partnership and failed to supply long term content required in a Subscription based MMORPG (and other issues on EA side of things).

If anything the initial sales and subscriptions of this game show clearly a subscription based design can work and excel in massive ways. BUT ONLY if a company is willing to continue to support, design, update the game in a quick and professional cycle.