Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Creating a new character when you are playing one already

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Creating a new character when you are playing one already

SpacemanR
02.03.2015 , 07:35 PM | #1
This may sound like sort of a dumb question, but I was wondering if it would be good to create a new character while you are playing a current character or should you complete the story for one before you make the other character? Also, does doing so affect your legacy if you have one?

PLynkes
02.03.2015 , 07:49 PM | #2
It's entirely a matter of choice. Some people like to play each story through from start to finish, so they don't lose track of the plot (that can easily happen if you flit between characters a lot). Other people like the variety of trying out all the play styles and stories.

I did it the second way. Though I did get my first character to round about level 35 before I made a second one, once I had a second I became a complete alt-aholic and made quite a few more, giving all the classes a whirl. Yeah, I probably lost track of the stories a bit here and there, but I think I would have tired of the game sooner if I had just stuck to one character.

cyberangelll
02.03.2015 , 09:12 PM | #3
Did my main to 55, then started a new toon after that.
Play how you want to play, otherwise it won't be any fun.

JediQuaker
02.03.2015 , 10:56 PM | #4
The main thing is that there are no "problems" with doing more than one character at a time, other than possibly losing track of the story arcs. There are no negative effects on your Legacy, etc.
It's really up to you whether or not you want to start another character. It's useful to try other classes - you may find that you like one that you didn't think you would.

jmmshadow
02.04.2015 , 11:59 AM | #5
I got my first character to level 50, then I created 11 alts right after.
Now I'm up to 17 characters. All the classes and subclasses are represented now.
Plus an additional Sage, cause I like me some ranged dps.

And yes I have an alt problem.

Have fun however you do it, that's what I say.

Jmmshadow

blindxsecrets
02.04.2015 , 01:08 PM | #6
I have 3 60s....4 55-59s and all the others are 40-30-20s...lmao, and I have 22 characters total. I'm an altaholic and I enjoy the stories, but I tend to leapfrog around my lowbies instead of taking one all the way to 60 quickly. It's really up to you and how you like to play. You can always make a bunch of lower level ones to test out the different classes and see which you prefer to take to 60 first. That's what I did in the beginning!
Founder of SWTOR, been here since early access! 5-year-vet of SWG. Chimaera. Chilastra. Sunrunner. Bria. <3

Click my referral you should, get free stuff....you will.

Ezrat
02.04.2015 , 03:29 PM | #7
Personally, I would like to have one capped or close to so I can use them to make mods or money to feed the others. That being said, I essentially rerolled on a new server with friends and I am all over the place playing alts as I feel like it.

Totally personal preference.
Recruitment Officer - Sola Gratia - Harbinger (Republic)
A family-friendly, Christian-led, drama-free, active guild.

New? Coming back after 90 days? Let me refer you for a free starter pack.

jmmshadow
02.04.2015 , 04:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by blindxsecrets View Post
I have 3 60s....4 55-59s and all the others are 40-30-20s...lmao, and I have 22 characters total. I'm an altaholic and I enjoy the stories, but I tend to leapfrog around my lowbies instead of taking one all the way to 60 quickly. It's really up to you and how you like to play. You can always make a bunch of lower level ones to test out the different classes and see which you prefer to take to 60 first. That's what I did in the beginning!
I too am an Altaholic. . The stories are pretty awesome as well.

Jmmshadow
Andemak: Sage / Arkaelen: Sentinal / Arrerord: Gunslinger / Auganid: Commando / Alde: Guardian / Aoshua: Vanguard / Ausherom: Shadow / Azizz: Sage / Arcame: Scoundrel
Anspare: Juggernaut / Arkadav: Operative / Asarell: Powertech / Asthunec: Assassin / Artho: Sorcerer / Arvionri: Marauder / Aurean: Sniper / Assett: Mercenary

Damask_Rose
02.04.2015 , 04:53 PM | #9
I never wait I like to stagger my alts out level-wise so I don't have a big cluster of them on any one planet. I then rotate through which one I'm playing. For me, it keeps things fresher, but losing track of the story is always a possibility on your first play-through.

Shadokitty
02.06.2015 , 10:45 PM | #10
I'm an altoholic too. Have various toons scattered across 3 different servers.