Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Antiquated Naming System

DarthKhaos
12.13.2011 , 04:30 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Stejo View Post
You're american, right?
BEST post of the day!

Also how would the game know which "Killercyborg" to mail my message to when I put that in the in game mail? Do they send a copy to everyone with that name? How about if there's cash they split it to each of em.

/failidea
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED

Taran_Tatsuuchi
12.13.2011 , 04:46 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthKhaos View Post
BEST post of the day!

Also how would the game know which "Killercyborg" to mail my message to when I put that in the in game mail? Do they send a copy to everyone with that name? How about if there's cash they split it to each of em.

/failidea
There would just have to be a system of uniqueness.

Currently it's <name> as the unique property.

With the cryptic system mentioned earlier it's <name@account> as the unique part.

All characters on your account have the @account as part of the name in the system, but they only show the name part in-game unless you have the options set to show @account names in chat.

This allows people to have the same character name while still having a unique name in the account system. You can't have multiple characters with the same name on your own account though.

DarthKhaos
12.13.2011 , 04:55 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Taran_Tatsuuchi View Post
There would just have to be a system of uniqueness.

Currently it's <name> as the unique property.

With the cryptic system mentioned earlier it's <name@account> as the unique part.

All characters on your account have the @account as part of the name in the system, but they only show the name part in-game unless you have the options set to show @account names in chat.

This allows people to have the same character name while still having a unique name in the account system. You can't have multiple characters with the same name on your own account though.
Then how would I be able to mail you in game without knowing your account name. Quite frankly I do NOT want anyone to know my account name. I'm sorry but that's just asking for your account to be compromised.
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED

Yfelsung
12.13.2011 , 04:57 PM | #14
Make original names.

It's not hard.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

misterfitz
12.13.2011 , 04:57 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by RetardoMontalban View Post
If special characters can be used I will be ¥¥¥xXxDarthVaderxXxg0ku¥¥¥.
Ha ha! Brilliant! I bow my shiny polished helmet to you, sir!
Be pure! Be vigilant! BEHAVE!

Adam_Nox
12.13.2011 , 05:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Make original names.

It's not hard.
I'm sure whatever name you pick is ********, and you think it's awesome. Otherwise you wouldn't think it's easy.

As for how to identify people, let them pick a global handle, not account name, and use that to mail them things, etc. Using a name without spaces and limited special characters as the main unique identifier is VERY antiquated and unnecessary in today's mmo technology.

DarthKhaos
12.13.2011 , 05:13 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam_Nox View Post
I'm sure whatever name you pick is ********, and you think it's awesome. Otherwise you wouldn't think it's easy.

As for how to identify people, let them pick a global handle, not account name, and use that to mail them things, etc. Using a name without spaces and limited special characters as the main unique identifier is VERY antiquated and unnecessary in today's mmo technology.
Yet I can make a new character a year after the game is out and still find me a unique name.

Find something useful to complain about. Right now you're nitpicking.
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED

DurdensWrath
12.13.2011 , 06:27 PM | #18
BEST post of the day!

/failidea
Because it is <username>@<accountname> it works just fine in other games. Just because it is different than WoW doesn't make it fail.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Yet I can make a new character a year after the game is out and still find me a unique name.

Find something useful to complain about. Right now you're nitpicking.
This from a guy with Darth in his name? That's rich.

Quote:
BEST post of the day!
I still fail to see why me being American is gerund.

Quote:
Then how would I be able to mail you in game without knowing your account name. Quite frankly I do NOT want anyone to know my account name. I'm sorry but that's just asking for your account to be compromised.
You mean like I know right now your account name is DarthKhaos?

DarthKhaos
12.13.2011 , 06:42 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DurdensWrath View Post
You mean like I know right now your account name is DarthKhaos?
DarthKhaos is NOT my account name it is my forum name. You do remember that you do not use DurdensWrath to log into the account even before they changed it from an account name to your e-mail address.
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED

DurdensWrath
12.13.2011 , 08:43 PM | #20
DarthKhaos is NOT my account name it is my forum name. You do remember that you do not use DurdensWrath to log into the account even before they changed it from an account name to your e-mail address.
True. But there you are. A simple way to have non-unique names. But since I found out I can use both ' and - then I am happy.