Any tips?

teflonbili

Hello all. I'm a new player , however not new to MMO's. Was looking for a change and decided to try SWtOR.

37 levels later and I find myself subbed and on Hoth :).

Had started 3-4 characters but settled on Sith Inquisitor. (Yes another Sith :rolleyes: ) I have always gravitated to healers so I decided early on to level as corruption heal spec.. I know it may be slower, (although dosent feel slow), but I figured that if I want to heal I should learn it along the way. Really enjoying the story line and I have enjoyed the times I have had the opportunity to heal in Heroic quests. I do need to do some FP's though to get experience there.

Main question I have is, should I be buying gear or anything at this point? I have just used upgrades I get from quests or mob drops along the way. I guess I'm concerned that I will go into a FP and get insta booted for crummy gear.

I did join a guild, however I may need to make a change as there dosent seem to be much activity. So may be LF Guild soon on Harbringer .

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My suggestion, Buy cheap adaptive level 1 or your level gear on the gtn. And buy the mods from commendations vendors on your fleet. This worked for me as you can go back and buy the mod's you need every so many level's.

Hope this helps.

:rak_03:

Edited by cyberangelll

Update your gear at say about lvl 41 then go with that to 47.

At that point you get to makeb and the bolster will boost your gear to a point where you can just breeze to lvl 55 without buing gear.

at lvl 55 do the solo flashpoint prequels to shadow of revan -> get full lvl 55 gear for free.

That will get you easily to lvl 60 and at that level finally use your basic comms to buy full ~182(?) gear

it will cost a bit over 1000 comms.

Definitely upgrade your gear before you hit either the power station or the starship graveyard. Hoth starts out easy, but gets difficult really fast. Get the best blues or greens you can find on the GTN for both you and your companion if you don't want to go the adaptable orange route.

I'd honestly advise against going to Makeb before finishing your class and the planetary stories. You'll get spoilers galore. It's fine to skip ahead if you've already played the faction planetary quests once through, but, honestly, I wouldn't recommend it for your first Imperial run. The story on Corellia's really well done, and I think you'd miss out on a lot if you skipped it.

As far as the flashpoint thing, honestly I have no idea. You wouldn't think you'd get booted before, say, level 50+, but from how hardcore some people seem to get around here, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens sometimes. After level 50, it's supposed to be an issue. Disclaimer: I always solo flashpoints when I'm 8-10 levels above; "grouped" only twice to run level 10s through Esseles/Black Talon.

On the guild thing-- have you checked the Harbinger server forums? There's a separate guild recruiting forum linked at the top of the main forum. I've seen guilds specializing in times around the clock there. There are quite a few APAC/Oceanic guilds advertizing.

Update your gear at say about lvl 41 then go with that to 47.

At that point you get to makeb and the bolster will boost your gear to a point where you can just breeze to lvl 55 without buing gear.

at lvl 55 do the solo flashpoint prequels to shadow of revan -> get full lvl 55 gear for free.

That will get you easily to lvl 60 and at that level finally use your basic comms to buy full ~182(?) gear

it will cost a bit over 1000 comms.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but when I recently came back, my then-capped-at-50 Smuggler saw some gear on vendors for commendations that was MUCH more powerful than I was wearing.... and I have since seen comments like this that you can get geared up virtually for free... but in all these cases, aren't you pretty much required to change your LOOK?

Almost all my characters run in Adaptive gear that gives them a look I like, and I would hate to lose that. I could always yank the mods out of the 'free' gear but that can get pricey at the higher levels, and with higher-quality mods. Is that pretty much the trade-off, though? Pay 75 commendations for an uber piece of armor, strip the mods out of it at high credit-cost and put it in the gear you LIKE?

Not to hijack the thread or anything but when I recently came back, my then-capped-at-50 Smuggler saw some gear on vendors for commendations that was MUCH more powerful than I was wearing.... and I have since seen comments like this that you can get geared up virtually for free... but in all these cases, aren't you pretty much required to change your LOOK?

Almost all my characters run in Adaptive gear that gives them a look I like, and I would hate to lose that. I could always yank the mods out of the 'free' gear but that can get pricey at the higher levels, and with higher-quality mods. Is that pretty much the trade-off, though? Pay 75 commendations for an uber piece of armor, strip the mods out of it at high credit-cost and put it in the gear you LIKE?

Did you pick up Shadow of Revan? Just wondering, because if you have, you should probably hold off on gearing your main character.

First, do Makeb (the Hutt Cartel expansion). There's a GSI satellite terminal that will bolster your stats and gear, so you won't have to touch your gear. Maybe gear your companion for Makeb in the green and blue gear drops. I noticed that even if my character was still standing unhurt, my poor companion was getting nuked :p

Then, if you haven't purchased SOR, and you're at level 55, get the Rishi mods on the fleet.

Otherwise, go to Prelude to Shadow of Revan, and do the Forged Alliances flashpoints. You'll get a decent set of gear quickly with green mods and another set fairly early on in the Rishi questline. The nice thing about the green 168 mods is that they're super cheap to pull out. I think removing the full set of mods ran about 1000 credits apiece for belt/bracers/gloves and about 1500 apiece for the chest/legs/head-- cheaper than trying to pull blue 116s out of your gear. If I remember right, there's a set of green 178s too that are fairly reasonable to remove.

And you'll probably want to-- those pirate sets look silly.

Edited by JainiaDral
for credits, not $$

Good to know! Yah, I picked up Shadows of Revan, but haven't actually DONE any of the post-50 content, yet. Still remembering HOW to play at this point (and nursing some lower level alts along). My main is 52 but still in gear I made (she's a Cybertech so makes her own mods while skilling up)...

Aside from the fact the more advanced armors may look silly (no argument there!) presumably they're the SAME for every smuggler, for example, and I prefer to stand out. Plus, I just like my look (some Nefarious bits, some crafted Sentinel armor, etc). Having seen the price of yanking out blues or purples (saw the price and decided NOT to yank them out of looted gear I found with the better mods).... I'm glad to hear the cost to mod-rip is not too bad for the higher gear.

My suggestion, Buy cheap adaptive level 1 or your level gear on the gtn. And buy the mods from commendations vendors on your fleet. This worked for me as you can go back and buy the mod's you need every so many level's.

Hope this helps.

:rak_03:

That is an awesome suggestion and one I do myself :)