Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Terribly slow download speed, suggestions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Terribly slow download speed, suggestions?

mesablue
12.26.2011 , 08:51 PM | #21
NVM, I'm back to super slow again. 24KB/s for the last hour.

Back to Skyrim, I can roll a new character and play the entire game again before this thing ever downloads. Ridiculous.

MisterYada
12.26.2011 , 11:20 PM | #22
Yeah, I flipped it to true as well. Kind of helped and mostly didn't. I'm with the other Skyrim guy. Thanks for the tip though.

joerc
12.26.2011 , 11:32 PM | #23
P2P to true helped slightly. It just made the download a bit less smooth, however it jumped my speed up. Problem is it steadily declines with every second, but pausing and resuming it will reset the speed up to 1.5mb... It makes no sense, it's unreal.

Knightswhosaynii
12.27.2011 , 12:46 AM | #24
this would have been a lot easier if there was just a file server direct download... or even a torrent now im at 19 gig with 1.8 gig left for the "English Assets" please to god dont be more after this...

Knightswhosaynii
12.27.2011 , 01:03 AM | #25
anyone know what ports this thing uses?

bilalkhan
12.28.2011 , 01:43 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Knightswhosaynii View Post
this would have been a lot easier if there was just a file server direct download... or even a torrent now im at 19 gig with 1.8 gig left for the "English Assets" please to god dont be more after this...
there is more my friend! After the first 4.8gb english assets there were some small 180mb files and then ANOTHER 4.8gb english assets file which i am currently on! Download speeds are at 45kbps for me and still 3.5gbs to go! I sleep now and hopefully it'll be done when i come back from University tomorrow evening!

May the Force be with us All!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me." - Sith Code

altwolf
01.03.2012 , 12:17 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
1. game directory
2. filename launcher.settings
3. open with notepad
4. scroll to bottom, edit "P2PEnabled": "true" <-- may be set to false
5. save with notepad

fixed mine,now back to usual 2.65mb/s speed
I don't know if it was this fix or simply pausing and un-pausing the download, but I went from 96 kb/s to over 2 mb/s last night after doing both these things!

For those looking for the file, it's in Program Files/Electronic Arts/Bioware/Star Wars - The Old Republic

arkagor
01.03.2012 , 03:00 PM | #28
One would think a game like this would have some serious pipes for getting the client out.

I just started the download now and I hover around 130 kb/sec with p2p enabled...

This is going to take the rest of the week :P

draakdorei
01.03.2012 , 03:22 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by arkagor View Post
One would think a game like this would have some serious pipes for getting the client out.

I just started the download now and I hover around 130 kb/sec with p2p enabled...

This is going to take the rest of the week :P
If you've already hit the area where it starts downloading the patches, you can run manual downloads (outside the launcher). This is how I got past the speed bump issues (launcher went from 3MB/s to 15kb/s on the first patch and then timed out and had to restart over and over).

See the last post from Syce on this thread:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91529

Fobbah
03.10.2012 , 09:04 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
1. game directory
2. filename launcher.settings
3. open with notepad
4. scroll to bottom, edit "P2PEnabled": "true" <-- may be set to false
5. save with notepad

fixed mine,now back to usual 2.65mb/s speed

cos i'll be damned if i'm kept from playing what i paid for cos of minor screw ups, hope this works and see all you new guys in the game, enjoy!

Furthermore www.speedguide.net download tcp optimizer, open it.

open browser www.speedtest.net begin test, whatever download says in mbps go into tcp optimizer program set top scrolly bar to that, check optimal box. apply, reboot.
Cheers, enabling P2P worked for me. For those of you that this didn't help, it could quite possibly be because the appropriate ports are not open?

As i have no idea what ports the launcher uses for its P2P downloading i just set my machine as a DMZ host for the time being, zipping along at a respectable 1.5MB/s now.