Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Hybrid AP/Pyro Proc PvP Build

EbrisDhifi's Avatar


EbrisDhifi
12.24.2011 , 09:18 AM | #1
Hey,

This isn't my build, but one I found on an older BH/PT guide:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...robckZfhrbzh.1

I'm liking the way it looks. Like Pyro, it revolves heavily around RS, but it has the added benefit of the AP feats that add 60% more penetration (for 90% in total) and the 25% percent crit chance after RP and RB. It is still extremely mobile, and I think heat can be mitigated by the two 8% vent feats in the Pyro line and proper attack management.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good spec for PvP?

Also, I have another question in regards to cylinders - this spec obviously focuses on the combustible cell, so would I switch out my shield for a straight-up generator in PvP?

Uzirael's Avatar


Uzirael
12.24.2011 , 11:17 AM | #2
I don't get the random point in Intimidation...it'd probably be better spent elsewhere if not on Rail Loaders...or maybe Rapid Venting (depending on playstyle)

AnubisXy's Avatar


AnubisXy
12.24.2011 , 12:21 PM | #3
I've been running this spec in PvP. When the stars align and your procs come together, you can kill someone really, really fast.

Incendiary Missile -> Rail Shot -> Rapid Shot -> Retractable Blade -> Immolate -> Free Rail Shot -> Free Rocket Punch -> Free Rail Shot -> Immolate -> Free Rail Shot.

Yeah. That's glorious and I'm sure people start pounding their keyboard and screaming about how OP Bounty Hunters are.

Downsides are, when Immolate/Rocket Punch procs, there's no visual animation letting you know that your Rapid Shot just reset. Instead, your character does a little laugh. You have to pay attention to your audio so that you know when you're getting free Rail Shots. Which can be a bit tricky in PvP where there are light saber clashes and explosions going off.

Also free Rail Shots are your primary method of venting Heat. When you don't get the free Rail Shots, you'll overheat very fast. And then just sort of be stuck there throwing out Rapid Shots. So pay attention to your Heat.

And yeah. If you're not using Ion Gas Cylinder you shouldn't be using a Shield Generator.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."

EbrisDhifi's Avatar


EbrisDhifi
12.24.2011 , 12:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Uzirael View Post
I don't get the random point in Intimidation...it'd probably be better spent elsewhere if not on Rail Loaders...or maybe Rapid Venting (depending on playstyle)
Yeah, like I said, I found this in a guide that was posted sometime during the headstart. I think he was trying to just increase flame damage but it could be spent elsewhere.

@ Anubis: I'm glad someone has been using it! Do you know how well it stacks up to the more common pyro-heavy and ST/AP PvP builds?

AnubisXy's Avatar


AnubisXy
12.24.2011 , 01:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by EbrisDhifi View Post
@ Anubis: I'm glad someone has been using it! Do you know how well it stacks up to the more common pyro-heavy and ST/AP PvP builds?
There's no way to know which spec is the best without things like DPS meters. Further, the things that would make a spec good in an arena-style fight aren't necessarily the same things that would make a spec good in a Warzone or open world PvP fight.

Right now, anybody who says definitively that one spec is better than another in PvP is just guessing.

For what it's worth, in Warzones I tend to be number 1 on DPS and am usually either in first or second place for kills. I also taunt every cooldown, so that frequently puts me first in the Protection category, and I typically end up with 7-8 medals by the end of the match, so I'm often in first place on that list as well.

I'm certainly happy with the spec over all, but it's incredibly proc heavy; procs for rail shots, more procs for rail shots, procs for Rocket Punch. Worse, it's hard to tell when your procs have triggered (free Rail Shot gives you an audio confirmation that is easy to miss and the other abilities have a tiny little buff on your bar that is easy to miss) so I wouldn't just suggest the build for anybody.

Basically, if you don't like a proc-based spec, you won't be happy with this one.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."

brazthemad's Avatar


brazthemad
12.24.2011 , 01:56 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by EbrisDhifi View Post
Hey,

This isn't my build, but one I found on an older BH/PT guide:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...robckZfhrbzh.1

I'm liking the way it looks. Like Pyro, it revolves heavily around RS, but it has the added benefit of the AP feats that add 60% more penetration (for 90% in total) and the 25% percent crit chance after RP and RB. It is still extremely mobile, and I think heat can be mitigated by the two 8% vent feats in the Pyro line and proper attack management.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good spec for PvP?

Also, I have another question in regards to cylinders - this spec obviously focuses on the combustible cell, so would I switch out my shield for a straight-up generator in PvP?
You're going to have a lot of trouble with heat management, and you're going to be spending a lot of your time relying on auto attacks while you wait for your heat to go down.
success = survivability/time