Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What Sith class offers Range and Melee dps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What Sith class offers Range and Melee dps?

OneDon
12.24.2011 , 08:23 AM | #1
Hi,

New player here, I ran a Sith Sorcerer to level 12 but would prefer to play a role that mixes up ranged and melee dps (a little like a Cleric on Rift...). Is there a Sith class that does this?

Synti
12.24.2011 , 08:27 AM | #2
I think the Sith Assassin would be the best option. The Inquisitor is a very ranged based class but I believe I read somewhere on these boards that you can spec your assassin to include more melee abilities, although you will still be primarily a ranged player. But I think it is the closest you get.

Dasffion
12.24.2011 , 08:28 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Synti View Post
I think the Sith Assassin would be the best option. The Inquisitor is a very ranged based class but I believe I read somewhere on these boards that you can spec your assassin to include more melee abilities, although you will still be primarily a ranged player. But I think it is the closest you get.
Assasin is Melee but you can throw in some ranged attacks if you want. Sorcerrer is Ranged but you can throw in some melee attacks if you want. Neither is really a true mix.

OneDon
12.24.2011 , 08:29 AM | #4
My understanding is that the Sorcerer only has two true melee attacks - the rest are ranged or group healing depending on your preference?

Just wanna use my lightsaber more.

AdamHDMI
12.24.2011 , 08:33 AM | #5
Sith Assassin is as close as your going to get with a melee/ranged hybrid. I guess an Oprative could also be classed as a melee/ranged hybrid as they still have the cover system at their disposal.
The Legendary Orange Pixel

Synti
12.24.2011 , 09:11 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
Assasin is Melee but you can throw in some ranged attacks if you want. Sorcerrer is Ranged but you can throw in some melee attacks if you want. Neither is really a true mix.
I know that but the assassin is the closest you get, particularly if you spec it right. With the sorcerer, the melee attacks are there only to regain your resource. It makes no sense to even use them otherwise because your force abilities will always deal way more damage.

Dasffion
12.24.2011 , 09:12 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OneDon View Post
My understanding is that the Sorcerer only has two true melee attacks - the rest are ranged or group healing depending on your preference?

Just wanna use my lightsaber more.
The Sorcerer's only melee attacks are the ones in the general Inquistor abilities but the same can be said of Assasins and Ranged.

OneDon
12.24.2011 , 12:20 PM | #8
While the Sorcerer does technically have 2 melee attacks they are almost pointless because all the ranged attacks can be used at close range. After lvl 10 the Sorcerer's melee attacks become redundant, almost (builder force points not withstanding).

I suspect said melee attacks are only there to give the Sith Sorcerer a reason to wave his/her saber around. If ranged attacks diminshed in DPS/Dmg the closer the target then the melee attacks, which wouldn't would be more meaningful.

So for me the focus is to find a character with better melee attacks as Sith ranged ones are pretty much awesome as they are.

I'm rolling an assassin, I like the class. Basically I wanted to do more with my Lightsaber.

Thanks for all the advice.