Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to get a refund...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Alexsama's Avatar


Alexsama
12.24.2011 , 07:50 AM | #1
Basically I am having problems with the game locking me out only because I am sub min spec via Error Code 7: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=35738

Dell Inspirion 9300 (2005)
1.73 GHz Pentium 740M
2GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA 6800 GO 256MB with Shader 3.0 Support
17Inch 1900x1200
Windows XP SP2

Unless they unlock Error Code 7 and allow below min spec to play I am out a game.

I assume most players here though are above min spec and should be able to get a solution to it in time however in my situation it may not be so...


Update: No Refund or Game Time via Ticket system...

Quote:
Greetings Alexsama,

I am Protocol Droid B6-J2 of Human- Cyborg Relations.

We do apologize for the inconvenience, but I'm afraid we have no
ability to grant your request.


Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate
to contact us.


Galactic Support is our Specialty…

Sincerely,
Protocol Droid B6-J2, aka Ken
Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service


Minimum Specs according to http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/2029
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Graphics Card: ATI X1800 or better* nVidia 7800 or better* Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support


Wikipedia Entry on Dell 9300:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspiro...#Inspiron_9300

On NVIDIA 6800 GO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce...P_GeForce_6800

To make the case on the processors (mine vs min):
http://ark.intel.com/compare/31728,27590

To make the case on lack of TOS disclaimer and not meeting min spec (Error Code 7 lock)
http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/termsofservice
http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct
ERROR CODE 7 WARRIOR

ChipHazard's Avatar


ChipHazard
12.24.2011 , 07:55 AM | #2
Without a receipt you're out of luck.
I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Castellan Crowe - Hydian Way.

renegadeimp's Avatar


renegadeimp
12.24.2011 , 07:58 AM | #3
You wont get a refund because you already used the code, and you failed to read the minimum specs for this game ( which are already very low). The game is designed to run on 5 year old systems. If your system is older than that, you cant really complain about the game not working.

Anyway, if you want to try and get a refund, you can go to the retailer and ask. Bioware will not intervene at all in these type of cases. It is purely up to the retailer to issue a refund.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Alexsama's Avatar


Alexsama
12.24.2011 , 08:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
You wont get a refund because you already used the code, and you failed to read the minimum specs for this game ( which are already very low). The game is designed to run on 5 year old systems. If your system is older than that, you cant really complain about the game not working.

Anyway, if you want to try and get a refund, you can go to the retailer and ask. Bioware will not intervene at all in these type of cases. It is purely up to the retailer to issue a refund.


No I read the min spec, I just didn't know that EA Games firewalled older computers with error code 7 (its a lockout not a crash). I have players other games at or below min and have never been locked out before. Gamestop doesn't refund once the product is opened that is why I threw away the receipt. I would assume EA Games would do something to the effect maybe but this is wishful thinking.

ChipHazard's Avatar


ChipHazard
12.24.2011 , 08:16 AM | #5
I thought it was common practice to refund games that do not work, although this isn't really the case, no matter if you have opened the box or not.
People were able able to get a refund for BF3 because of the massive problems some had actually getting it to work, mostly to no avail.
Had you bought the game via Origin you would have been able to ask them(EA) for a refund.
I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Castellan Crowe - Hydian Way.

Kortak's Avatar


Kortak
12.24.2011 , 08:21 AM | #6
SO? Upgrade your pc...


whats the problem.

Alexsama's Avatar


Alexsama
12.24.2011 , 08:21 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kortak View Post
SO? Upgrade your pc...


whats the problem.

Problem? Its not a desktop. Would if I was able to do so.

HubertoHub's Avatar


HubertoHub
12.24.2011 , 08:26 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Alexsama View Post

Edit: For the record I was aware of min spec beforehand and being that I am close to it (but below) I assumed smooth sailing however did not expect to get locked out of the game.
I think you just answered your own question right there. You intentionally bought a game with a minimum requirement above those which you possessed. You gambled that is would still work on your computer, and that gamble has not paid off. They probably lock out lower end computers so that they don't drag down others while in social quests/conversations. Vegas doesn't give you your money back when you lose at the slot machines, so I think it's safe to assume since you opened the box and used the code EA won't give you back your money.

Alexsama's Avatar


Alexsama
12.24.2011 , 08:32 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by HubertoHub View Post
I think you just answered your own question right there. You intentionally bought a game with a minimum requirement above those which you possessed. You gambled that is would still work on your computer, and that gamble has not paid off. They probably lock out lower end computers so that they don't drag down others while in social quests/conversations. Vegas doesn't give you your money back when you lose at the slot machines, so I think it's safe to assume since you opened the box and used the code EA won't give you back your money.

First of all: 1. Last time I checked this isn't Vegas but a semi-to-casual MMORPG. 2. I have never seen one lockout lower end users before (maybe one exisits idk).

3. Given how other games handle I am confident my computer will do just find although with maybe 10-20 fps which is fine for me. Min specs these days are generally overstated.

4. Your point on other users effects may be vaild; however unless I overlooked something no where in the EULA or TOS does it say that sub min users are locked out (and that you agree you are at or above). However being server side I wouldn't think chat would have that kind of an effect.



I am reaaaaaly attempting to be nice here given what happened therefore I do ask for some sort of kindness while posting here thanks.

renegadeimp's Avatar


renegadeimp
12.24.2011 , 08:39 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Alexsama View Post
No I read the min spec, I just didn't know that EA Games firewalled older computers with error code 7 (its a lockout not a crash). I have players other games at or below min and have never been locked out before. Gamestop doesn't refund once the product is opened that is why I threw away the receipt. I would assume EA Games would do something to the effect maybe but this is wishful thinking.
They done firewall anything. The game requires certain specs for you to be able to play the game. Your system doesnt meet those requirements so it physically cannot start the game.

You really should stop blaming EA/bioware for something that is 100% your fault.

If you disagree with this, post a full dxdiag log using the code and spoiler tags.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.