Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is PvP so awful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is PvP so awful?

greenbook
12.24.2011 , 06:39 AM | #1
PvP is so rubbish ... raising lvl never and never will work , pointless ... the maps are awful (only alderaan is half decent).

Too much cc/ immunity for some classes. To be honest it looks like a copy of somthing Mythic would do ... and they never did understand why raising lvl does not work nor the player base that stayes in WAR either.

Why cant people choose which pvp map they want?
Why do you get sent to a space port if you quit pvp?

There is an awful lot wrong and looks like an after thought tbh!

Reefguy
12.24.2011 , 06:42 AM | #2
I cannot DISAGREE with you more. I think this games pvp is on the right track, fun and engaging. I think it has some serious potential for great things.

Mastersix
12.24.2011 , 06:47 AM | #3
Its not that pvp is bad and there is to much cc... or anything is op... its just the resolve system isn't working as intended and classes like sith inquisitors are literally 90% of the population leading to everybody getting cc'd. they need to rework how the resolve system works .

Side note: i feel like in huttball the person with a ball should get a boost in the resolve so they don't get chain cc'd for 30 seconds

Reefguy
12.24.2011 , 06:49 AM | #4
How is resolve not working as intended?

Dorfpest
12.24.2011 , 06:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by greenbook View Post
PvP is so rubbish ... raising lvl never and never will work , pointless ... the maps are awful (only alderaan is half decent).

Too much cc/ immunity for some classes. To be honest it looks like a copy of somthing Mythic would do ... and they never did understand why raising lvl does not work nor the player base that stayes in WAR either.

I'll try to address some of your concerns

I believe they did this to balance out the PVP and to have reduced PVP queues. Although I would like to play Voidstar (I havent been able to yet), I would rather have a 1 minute queue and get huttball instead of a 30 minute queue for voidstar. Just leaving the queue to random automatically is fine IMO and they will probably balance it out later and allow you to choose your queue.

It's a bug, but maybe it's a punishment (why do you queue then leave, umadbro?)

PvP is so rubbish ... raising lvl never and never will work
I think it works quite fine, while being level 50 and having the gear and abilities to boost you up is better than being a level 10, atleast if you have coordination and SOME skill you can beat a bunch of higher levels. I've done it myself where I queued with 3 other guys and we had 2-3 level 10s (some randoms) and we still beat a team that had two 50's in it at the time. I think they did really well at this.

the maps are awful (only alderaan is half decent).
Do you have some sort of explanation as to why they are instead of just complaining? This is all that I see you do. I enjoy Huttball probably the most. (They made the map very well, innovative on the whole PVP scene)

PVP is not as popular as questing and PVE in MMO's plain and simple, it really is. I thought they put in a lot of thought of how to balance and make this good for RELEASE WEEKEND. The game has been released for 4 days now, they've done a hell of a job (9 for some ^^).
I think before you start saying theres an awful lot wrong, you should coherently think about what is wrong and provide explanations as to why it is, you wouldn't pass grade 12 math with that kind of structure of problem and answers. Anyways I'll just assume it's a rage thread and hopefully this will help some other people.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration..."
CE VIP (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻: Y U NO released yet?!

Zarthorn
12.24.2011 , 06:55 AM | #6
PvP is actually decent....that said however it does need a few things altering:

1. Some Warzones are too zerg orientated and reward mindless play, widening the play area may solve this as could possibly introducing a few more choke points instead of one or two.

2. Class balance atm is tipped too far in the favor of BH/Trooper SI/Cons, possibly shuffling around there talent trees to make it more difficult to become master of everythings may solve this problem.

3. Openworld PvP is fun, but not rewarding, needs meaningful objectives.

4. Altricity is actually overpowering in some specs and probably needs diminishing returns introducing.

5. DR on CC fixed so stunlocking isn't such a problem.

6. Interupt transition animations made smoother so they are actually more twitch reactionary than waiting for the one slow wind up skill you can interupt.

And I know it's been said a thousand times....but buff the JK/SW classes so they don't feel like guardbots with paperthin armor...if I'm tanking in PvP I want to last a little more than 5 seconds when I'm supposed to be soaking damage.

Mastersix
12.24.2011 , 06:57 AM | #7
For example... 1 first shot from my smuggler... there resolve bar fills- i cannot stun slow or anything until it goes back down, my first shot knocks them on the ground for 4 seconds.

Yet if a sage or a inquisitor stun cc's me for 10+ seconds... it doesn't fill it just feels like it works at all , if there resolve bar fills from a 4 second knock down how can people be stunned for so long? i don't know it just doesn't seem like it works to me