Disciplines Vs Skill Trees

BrianAC

Will eventually be easier to balance.

Eventually? Isn't the benefit for their balancing efforts immediate? As I understand it all they do is they have a target value for damage or heals or whatever that they want their internal testing macros to be able to parse on idealized rotations, and it's considered to be acceptable if it parses within a certain range of that target. With disciplines they can tweak the output of one discipline completely independent of any other discipline's output by tweaking the abilities within that discipline.

Anyway though, this can give us some hope for big additions being possible in the future. Theoretically, they could add new disciplines (some inspired by old hybrid builds and others created to add a new twist to a class) if they want to and it would be fairly straightforward to balance each new discipline's output to within the target range without influencing the output of any of the other disciplines.

The general structure for disciplines seems pretty rigid. It starts with a general concept of what type/style of the class that discipline will be intended to represent. They make 4 signature moves to represent that core identity and they spread these across the line to specific levels which are the same for all disciplines. All disciplines get their 7 utility points at the same levels too. And there are 13 passives spread 2 at a time in the line in between those signature move and/or utility point checkpoints.

To add a new discipline, they wouldn't look at utilities at all so the total workload would just be creating those 4 signature moves and creating 13 passives to modify how other class abilities function to put them in line with the new discipline's concept.

Since 3.0 has been out for a few weeks now. I wanted to know what everyone thought about the new disciplines vs the old skill trees. Are they better than the skill trees? Are they a mess? etc. What are your thought on them? Thanks

Old system, flawed, didn't deal with level increases well, but allowed a lot of choices (unless you're one of those who believes that there's only one valid metric by which to measure your own character).

New system, flawed, not much choice in how a character is built, but supposedly deals with growth better.

Old system, flawed, didn't deal with level increases well, but allowed a lot of choices (unless you're one of those who believes that there's only one valid metric by which to measure your own character).

New system, flawed, not much choice in how a character is built, but supposedly deals with growth better.

False.

False.

True.

The old system didn't offer a lot of choice if you wanted your spec to be min-maxed or 'optimal' - but not everyone playing this game cares about doing the highest amount of damage/healing. Some people just enjoyed playing a Sorc who had both Chain Lightning and Innervate, even if doing so made them a jack of all trades, master of none.

I understand BW making the choice they did, the number of people who deliberately played specs that left them with mediocre outputs was probably very small - small enough that it was a better move for the game as a whole to take that option away and make balancing easier and optimized roles more straightforward.

But the option to play that way used to be there and now it is gone. It was a tradeoff that absolutely made sense for the game, but it was still a tradeoff.

True.

The old system didn't offer a lot of choice if you wanted your spec to be min-maxed or 'optimal' - but not everyone playing this game cares about doing the highest amount of damage/healing. Some people just enjoyed playing a Sorc who had both Chain Lightning and Innervate, even if doing so made them a jack of all trades, master of none.

I understand BW making the choice they did, the number of people who deliberately played specs that left them with mediocre outputs was probably very small - small enough that it was a better move for the game as a whole to take that option away and make balancing easier and optimized roles more straightforward.

But the option to play that way used to be there and now it is gone. It was a tradeoff that absolutely made sense for the game, but it was still a tradeoff.

Its not a tradeoff when the game was never intended to be played the way people did with hybrids.

I know how to use stilts rings it was interesting to mix and match stuff even though I did not get very far with that original plan was to mix half shield and half fire use her because I could not get far enough it is still free just one person I meet up to bounty hunters for this so I know how to use skill tree pretty much but how do you use deception how does deception work ?

I haven't used it yet I don't understand how it works

To all the people that liked to play weird hybrid specs.I would have loved to meet you in world pvp environment.before 3.0, and god knows i met enough of them to be worth mentioning.

seriously though, now specs have more choice that makes sense and is meaningful than before

Edited by Kaedusz