Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity and periodic abilities. how does it work? as of now info on it is different

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Alacrity and periodic abilities. how does it work? as of now info on it is different

fronken
12.13.2011 , 03:01 PM | #1
Please someone who knows, how the **** does alacrity work with channeled abilities and do they in any way buff DoTs that are instant? i've read that i does and that i doesn't.

also can someone please tell what spells goes as "periodic damage abilities" caus BY DEFINITION its not only the classical dots but also channeled abilities like force lightning. In the beta force lightning got the "paratisism" buff but not the others which makes no sense at all! if it does or dosen't counts as "periodic damage ability" changes COMPLETELY what builds are viable.

If anyone know how this is ment to work please explain it to me!

Drunk_wookie
12.13.2011 , 03:38 PM | #2
You're level 1-3, all builds are viable till 50.

fronken
12.13.2011 , 04:19 PM | #3
thanks for clearing that out, that totally answers my questions......

mountains
12.13.2011 , 04:30 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by fronken View Post
Please someone who knows, how the **** does alacrity work with channeled abilities and do they in any way buff DoTs that are instant? i've read that i does and that i doesn't.

also can someone please tell what spells goes as "periodic damage abilities" caus BY DEFINITION its not only the classical dots but also channeled abilities like force lightning. In the beta force lightning got the "paratisism" buff but not the others which makes no sense at all! if it does or dosen't counts as "periodic damage ability" changes COMPLETELY what builds are viable.

Channels: affected
DoT ticks: assumption is 'no' but testing doesn't hurt
GCD: assumption is 'yes' but we need to test more.

RE: FL as a periodic effect: that's one of those "test more" things, too.

hiddenpuudji
12.13.2011 , 04:59 PM | #5
drunk wookie appeared to fail at a reply here, I honestly am looking forward to more info on all the secondary stats, hopefully someone will put together a good comprehensive guide to secondary stats....mmmmm....theorycrafting...drool
╟╣|||||||||φ╟╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
Puudji - Sorc - Nadd's Sarcophagus

midnitewolf
12.13.2011 , 06:26 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by fronken View Post

Actually it seems you have a good understanding of what periodic abilites are.

They are any ability that has a damage over time associated with it. Force Lighting does damage over time as it is channelled so therefore it is a periodic ability.

So Crushing Darkness, Affliction, Force Lightning, Creeping Terror and Lightning Discharge are all examples of periodic abilies.

As far as Alacrity, I think it just speeds up casting time for those abilies that aren't instant.

mountains
12.13.2011 , 08:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by midnitewolf View Post
Actually it seems you have a good understanding of what periodic abilites are.

They are any ability that has a damage over time associated with it. Force Lighting does damage over time as it is channelled so therefore it is a periodic ability.

So Crushing Darkness, Affliction, Force Lightning, Creeping Terror and Lightning Discharge are all examples of periodic abilies.

As far as Alacrity, I think it just speeds up casting time for those abilies that aren't instant.
It can depend. Arcane Missiles (a channeled spell like Force Lightning) in World of Warcraft does not do periodic damage; every other channeled spell in World of Warcraft does. Force Lightning did not do periodic damage earlier in the beta; recent reports suggest that it's been changed so it works with more Sorcerer talents.

Alacrity is just something that is relatively hard to test and needs to be looked at more.

Futurepat
12.13.2011 , 08:49 PM | #8
Force Lightning (channeled effects) do not count as a DoT.

It does reportedly proc Parasitism for some reason.

All other talents that affect DoTs do not modify Force Lightning.

Monterone
12.13.2011 , 10:24 PM | #9
Affliction, the DoT portion of Crushing Darkness and Creeping Terror are the only abilities that count as periodic damage. Test this out by casting Death Field on a mob and watch which abilities take down the 10 Deathmarks.

I have seen no benefit from Alacrity on instant cast abilities, and have not noticed any change in the duration of GCD. For me, this makes Alacrity less interesting than Crit/Surge since that combination of stats affects nearly every single ability we have.
Sominette . Saminette
Pot5 > Harbinger