Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] The Sith Assassin's Codex

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
[Guide] The Sith Assassin's Codex

Karaokelove
01.28.2012 , 11:44 PM | #131
Fantastic guide! Keep up the good work!

Valentyna
01.28.2012 , 11:56 PM | #132
Hi all. so re-rolling for the 4th time (first time from level 50) I've decided I wanted to try a darkness build with duplicity. My main complaints about being a sorceress were my lack of burst damage and survivability. I was always topping the DPS tables list, but it seemed like I was never able to really bring a target down right NOW when I had to. And it always seemed like it was pathetically easy for people to kill me inside of a 2-4 second stun effect (even through 90%+ health and a bubble). So the thought of super hard hitting shocks and mauls, and the occasioanlly OMGWTFHOWDIDSHEDOTHAT harnessed Darkness/Recklessness attack appeals to me a lot.

Anyhoo, enough background. The spec I came up with is based heavilly on the one posted on the front page of this guide - essentially just switching 3 points out of Deception and into Exloitative Strikes, which seems like an obvious synergy with the auto-crit shocks.

here is the build:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsrokrskbZhGbzZc.1

I've decided to post here (rather than make my own superfluous clutter thread) and ask peoples' opinions both about that change, and about the build in general? Is Harnessed Darkness worth it? Should I go for something else instead (take madness up to "Raze" perhaps, or at least claws for the +50% critical damage on Thrash?)

Darkness, on paper, seems like it does less damage than deception (obviously) but not _hugely_ less, and should still put up high damage with the right gear. Is that true, or am I just being fooled by wishful thinking and/or the numbers on TORhead's class ability's list?

Thanks.

Any comments are appiated!
"A woman came up to me and said, 'I'd like to poison your mind/
With wrong ideas that appeal to you, Though I am not unkind.'"

They Might Be Giants, "Whistling in the Dark".

Raycyst
01.29.2012 , 10:04 AM | #133
This post is in regards to a DECEPTION point of view.

How or what are we using to establish the basis or justification regarding the Crit > Power theory? Over the past few days, I've been starting to lean to the opposite of this. Considering we do not have meters or logs to establish a concrete philosophy, are we prematurely assuming Crit is superior to Power?

In theory, we might want to consider how simplistic the two stats are: Power = increase every hit, Crit = increase the chance to increase one hit. I understand that the damage multiplier that that Critical swing 'might' outweigh the Power loss, but with the right amount of Power, isn't is safe to say that the sustained output would surpass that of Crit (not to mention not having to deal with any type of diminishing returns).

It's not to say that Crit is bad, by any means, and in fact, it's probably best to balance both. But, in theory and in practice, we WILL be critting regardless, it just happens anyway. In a black/white example, if we don't Crit, all the rating we spent did nothing and were wasted optimization.

I know I can't be the only one thinking this. The game is in such a premature stage that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions. And, if we rely on previous models (and/or other games), we could find justification on how this Power > Crit theory might hold some water.

Any thoughts?

Valentyna
01.29.2012 , 11:09 AM | #134
I found that with level 40-45 blue mods and some green implants (using whatever quest rewards and the merits for the last planet I was on would buy me), I had just about 24% crit chance anyway. I strongly suspect that with any amount of purple gear it would go up to the 30% soft-cap range without havign to put any special effort into it.

I, myself, am very interested in the merits of soft-caping surge versus just increasing power (which effectively increases critical damage too, since a higher base, times the same multiplier gives a higher product).
"A woman came up to me and said, 'I'd like to poison your mind/
With wrong ideas that appeal to you, Though I am not unkind.'"

They Might Be Giants, "Whistling in the Dark".

JohnFante
01.29.2012 , 12:14 PM | #135
What would be the best companion to take with you with the 3 different specs? i'm a little undecided between darkness and deception but either way, i want to know which companion is best for either
"It's like people only do things because they get paid...and that's just really sad" -Garth

doctor_atomic
01.29.2012 , 04:33 PM | #136
Wow, a lot to read here, but thanks the info.
"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

AstralFire
02.01.2012 , 03:28 PM | #137
Updated. Finally. So tired.
JEDI SHADOW

You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

Talon_Starfire
02.02.2012 , 06:45 AM | #138
I noticed you took down the Hybrid Stealth Assassin is it still viable for PvP?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Cambriel
02.02.2012 , 02:32 PM | #139
Regarding the Madness Assassin section...

It's probably pointed out somewhere else, but I do want to mention that Force Lightning while under Recklessness is NOT a terrible skill for Madness spec. Currently, Recklessness allows every tick of Force Lightning to crit, causing considerable damage at higher gear ranges. It's a worthwhile use of a Recklessness charge, especially on movement intensive or positioning fights (Bonethrasher, Gharj, Soa, etc.) that don't allow you much time to find a perfect spot.

WoodyDave
02.02.2012 , 08:35 PM | #140
Your "shielding in unimportant in pvp" comment on the Darkness tree makes you lose pvp credibility.

Lacerate is also useful as it tags people trying to cap stuff.