Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This is the state of crafting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
This is the state of crafting.

lightspeed
12.24.2011 , 09:48 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
No that was me and my stuff. I spammed for 15 minutes giving away stuff that hasn't sold in the last few days. I literally couldn't give away that stuff. I had about 20 barrels total and was able to give one away by messaging a guy in my ship instance. I had 3 people say no thank you and 4 people not respond at all.

I ended up vendoring 3 epic barrels, 2 level 45 epic blasters, and a ton of random barrels.
yeah, I made a bunch of purple crit enhancements. I was hoping to at least sell them for cost as crafting is an ultra-cred sink and I could not sell a single one. Crafting itself is cool but I have to drop so many creds into it that there is no way I can afford speeder training.

Bioware really needs to reconsider crafting costs!!!!
Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything. JH

Lynkfox
12.24.2011 , 09:57 AM | #22
SO everyone who 'read' my post then said its not that way....

are you 50? Is there more than 5-10 people who are 50 on at any given time on your server?

No?

Then you have no idea what crafting will be like. Crafting in 90% of mmo's is not ment for leveling. I am willing to bet a good portion of you played wow - How many of you used any of that blacksmith armor you crafted on your way to 450 blacksmithing? Or just vendored it or gave it to a fellow enchanter to DE?

The only game i played where crafting gave you better armor was Anarchy Online - and for that armor you had to gather like 30 pieces of various random crap for each piece! And there were Head, Chest, Arm, Arm, Shoulder, Shoulder, (yes, different sleves and shoulders for each side) Boots, legs, gloves, waist - at LEAST 9 slots of just basic armor, not including all the relic slots and extra item slots. - it took /days/ to get everything to craft a set of armor - luckily that carbonite armor would last you a good time.

Crafting is rarely ever ment for the levelers. You level too fast for anything that you make to be really useful - vendored items on the way up will always be easier to get. Once the Operations get into full swing and gear, and everyone starts needing Biochem stims and more mods then they can get commendations for (what commendations at 50 anyways? Commendations are all leveling gear!) then those purple RE'd Mod 30's and so will be needed by crafters. The Schmatics that will drop out of Operations may very well be on par with operation gear - and youll need crafters for them.

Patience. Something this generation of children is sadly lacking in.

Vandal_Heart
12.24.2011 , 10:21 AM | #23
Ilum commendations for one.
I spent a fair amount of time and money hitting 400 artifice when i was about level 40. A further expensive ream of crafting and reverse engineering got me the recipe for advanced force wielder hilt 22, which was the highest version of the one of vendor bought recipes I could make.
Then, when I wander along to Ilum, curious about how whether there's anything to do pre-50, I see a vendor selling advanced 23 hilts, enhancements, mods and colour crystals for only a few commendations.
I was hoping to be able to craft the best of the best, but unless ops drop the recipes required for this, it doesn't look like this is possible.

cold_zero
12.24.2011 , 10:29 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Grometsc View Post
I have made post about this as well...modifications should not be allowed through vendor options, especially for so few commendations! Its easy to remove those, that would easily help the crafters right there or convert to green versions, and let players only be able to craft blue/epic. This way the players set the economy, not vendors!
True, but until enough people start crafting blue/epic items vendors are needed. It's called seeding and if it's done in a proper way it will all turn out ok.

Take EVE Online as an example of the best player run economy in the gaming world. Whenever there is a new item it's seeded by CCP - makers of EVE and after a month it's almost impossible to buy at a basic price because players are gathering all the mats that are needed and using their own playing time to produce them thus the prices skyrocket. 1 month more and enough people are producing the items to keep up with a demand and prices go back to a normal range.

Give it some time. I noticed so many people expect this game to be at the same stage of development as WoW is right now and that's not possible.
-----> <-----

Zullsoke
12.24.2011 , 10:29 AM | #25
I believe a few of you stating patience is needed are missing the point. The current problem is that PVP and Illum dailies offer access to equal and better gear then what crafters can make and in far less time and hastle.

For example currently crafting goes up to 22 for mods, with 8 tokens in Illum, roughly 2 or so quests off memory, you can buy a 23 epic mod. Why would anyone go for the more expensive, time consuming option of RE'ing a 22 mod to unlock the epic plan when someone in less then half n hr can obtain better?

Weapons and armour suffer from the same issue, if not worse since you require BoP materials which from my knowledge only drop from lvl 50 flashpoints/heroics which is just for the blue quality. Once again, 3-4 matches of PvP and you have a epic weapon/armour, spend a little more time and you can have the next tier or 2 of PvP armour.

I understand the game is still early and that Operations will hopefully yield some higher quality plans, but the current fact is, crafting for entry level pvp/raid gear is pretty much redundant due to how easy it is to obtain similar or better quality items via other means. I also think the concept of allowing multiple ways of obtaining gear is great, just some tweaking needs to be made so that one does not completely overrule the other, for at the momment commendations via PvP at the very least are thrown at you far too generously.

Auskoris
12.24.2011 , 10:36 AM | #26
Why did you vendor them instead of Reverse Engineering them???
Hadean Sith Assassin Davik's Estate
[█▓|X|X|X|█{}█╣ F E A R T H E C L E A R L I G H T S A B E R )

FreemanCal
12.24.2011 , 10:41 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
What's the size of the level 50 market for your server?

I was checking our server yesterday morning (not primetime), and of 898 characters online, 3 were in the level range 41-50, and only one of those was level 50.
How did you find that out?

Rafkin
12.24.2011 , 10:49 AM | #28
If you rely on commendations you will always be a couple levels behind the crafters gearwise. Why? For example, on your second world the mods are level 15ish but you'll be level 17 before you have enough commendations to buy them all. If you're making your own or buying off the GTN you'll always have updated gear. This is the same on every planet. Maybe at level 50 this won't be the case.

It very easy to have blue recipes and they are better than quest rewards 99% of the time.

Lynkfox
12.24.2011 , 11:02 AM | #29
okay so illium has 23. Have you done Ops yet? Commendations are great and all, but gathering up the what, 14? 24? how many commendations?

Patience! Yes, right now, it is easier to get commendation gear than the crafting gear becaues commendations are more common than the crafters putting in the time. That will not remain the same. As people get tired of doing dailies for commendations, and more crafters come about with as good as (and eventually, better) op level gear, you -will- find crafting to be insanely important.

And you will be amazed at the amount of people who, when Raid night comes along, finds they are just a few commendations short of that new mod for that new item you got last night, and raid starts in 15 mins... guess who is going to be needed then!

KetMalice
12.24.2011 , 11:07 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Lynkfox View Post
okay so illium has 23. Have you done Ops yet? Commendations are great and all, but gathering up the what, 14? 24? how many commendations?

Patience! Yes, right now, it is easier to get commendation gear than the crafting gear becaues commendations are more common than the crafters putting in the time. That will not remain the same. As people get tired of doing dailies for commendations, and more crafters come about with as good as (and eventually, better) op level gear, you -will- find crafting to be insanely important.

And you will be amazed at the amount of people who, when Raid night comes along, finds they are just a few commendations short of that new mod for that new item you got last night, and raid starts in 15 mins... guess who is going to be needed then!
No...it's easier because it takes 1 hour of manpower for a Rank 23 level 50 epic mod, but it takes 10-12 hours of manpower, and money for a crafter to craft a Rank 22 level 49 epic mod.