Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Been gone since bombers were reintroduced, what i miss

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Been gone since bombers were reintroduced, what i miss

DreadzKaiser's Avatar


DreadzKaiser
11.10.2014 , 01:10 AM | #11
Geez that one exploded, i was only asking if Premades were still as prevelent as they were when i left. (atleast on my server, they weren't all that common til after it fully launched)
I couldn't find anyone to group with me, ever. i tried
When i was playing, I was a lone Gunship vs 2 scouts that i swear had a srs grudge (since i recognized both names and had owned them seperately in earlier matches and they were hounding me.....above and beyond their what their job requires (ignoring other GSs so they could hide to wait for me to respawn))

yeah coordinated team >>>everything, i can't believe there is an argument on it. Teamwork will always be OP and is unnerfable

thx Bolo for actually answering the question
Veloren Douchensire Grand Champion of the Great Hunt:
<Fully Armed and Operational>

........Nope, not long enough

blade_mercurial's Avatar


blade_mercurial
11.10.2014 , 08:35 AM | #12
Well one thing that should help players get groups is the GSF chat channel (I don't know whether you left before it was added or not, and I don't know how much use it gets on your server), but hey, its something and I have noticed people getting grouped for GSF play through it on Ebon Hawk...

Magira's Avatar


Magira
11.10.2014 , 10:12 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
ANY game with VOIP have an HUGE advantage over those involved players who don't.
Yes, otherwise they would not use it. In GSF the advantage is not as high as in the Ground PVP because some typical Premade tactics do not work, fortunately.
Thus, the life as a solo player in gsf is halfways acceptable.
Of course, there is a fundamental problem when external programs are used which act essentially as cheating.
The "politics" of Bioware this is very contradictory. Still in beta, there was a VOIP Blocker. Unfortunately, it has not made it into this game.
Consequence of this "legal" Cheating misery may be only to largely remove the mechanisms that bring benefits to VOIP premades out of the game.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

DreadzKaiser's Avatar


DreadzKaiser
11.10.2014 , 11:18 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by blade_mercurial View Post
Well one thing that should help players get groups is the GSF chat channel (I don't know whether you left before it was added or not, and I don't know how much use it gets on your server), but hey, its something and I have noticed people getting grouped for GSF play through it on Ebon Hawk...
first i heard of it so i guess i left first
Veloren Douchensire Grand Champion of the Great Hunt:
<Fully Armed and Operational>

........Nope, not long enough

ALaggyGrunt's Avatar


ALaggyGrunt
11.10.2014 , 01:08 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by blade_mercurial View Post
Well one thing that should help players get groups is the GSF chat channel (I don't know whether you left before it was added or not, and I don't know how much use it gets on your server), but hey, its something and I have noticed people getting grouped for GSF play through it on Ebon Hawk...
Most of the groups are uncoordinated.

Verain's Avatar


Verain
11.14.2014 , 11:06 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Magira View Post
Of course, there is a fundamental problem when external programs are used which act essentially as cheating.
This is one of the silliest things I have ever seen on any forum.

Quote:
Still in beta, there was a VOIP Blocker.
This is even sillier. No, there was not. At no point in history has any game company tried this. Bioware was never working on a VOIP blocker, not in GSF beta, not in SWTOR beta, and nowhere at all unless they want to make slashdot and get absolutely crapped on by techies. No one is trying to block voice, coordinating is not cheating, it is a team game, and no, it is not Bioware's job to copy Blizzard and make a failed VOIP in game solution that no one will use and will never work.

The existing voice solutions work great, are ubiquitous, and free. They are all intended and useful ways to play the game, as are LAN parties and everything else.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it has not made it into this game.
No, because it never existed, and it's VERY fortunate that it never did. They would never live it down. If you are going to reply to this- and I don't really recommend that- by all means explain how you think a "VOIP blocker" would work. I would love to hear the technical details on this ludicrous gem, all the digital contortions you imagine EA going through to stop the unstoppable, because, of course, if they DID manage this- and they could not- you would just skype your buddies on your cellphone's skype, and chat that way.


Quote:
Consequence of this "legal" Cheating misery may be only to largely remove the mechanisms that bring benefits to VOIP premades out of the game.
Yes, obviously, they should make the game awful so that teams don't play it, or make the game so shallow that calling targets is ineffective. How would you expect this to work? I'm not even sure I want to know. Also, if it is "cheating", why is there an option to queue as a group? I mean, not that you should be surprised to see this in a team game. At all.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Bolo_Yeung's Avatar


Bolo_Yeung
11.15.2014 , 07:46 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
(...)it is not Bioware's job to copy Blizzard and make a failed VOIP in game solution that no one will use and will never work.

The existing voice solutions work great, are ubiquitous, and free. They are all intended and useful ways to play the game, as are LAN parties and everything else.
There is one basic advantage of ingame voip - you can get a 'group/team channel' instantly. Now in, for instance, teamspeak you have to broadcast the address to everyone in match. Also, change password each time you get a new match, to ensure enemies won't log into your channel ...
... So I disagree with your opinion about the ingame voip. It would make the game much easier to coordinate - and would finally silenc everyune complaining about 'voip premades'...

Verain's Avatar


Verain
11.15.2014 , 08:29 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Bolo_Yeung View Post
There is one basic advantage of ingame voip - you can get a 'group/team channel' instantly.
The big barricade to voice is having a player sitting there with a headset on, ready to go. Properly configured and tested and motivated to use it. In practice, every playing who does THAT hurdle has no problem typing in a server name and pressing enter twice.

Again- and this comes up a LOT- World of Warcraft had these SAME complaints with their random battlegrounds, and they actually went ahead and dropped who knows HOW much dev time and money into making an ingame VOIP.

And guess what? No one uses it.


Because it's worse than the dedicated VOIPs at most things, and has the same effective barrier to entry. Even with the ability to auto-join a chat just for the exact thing you are actually doing with just the exact people you are doing it with, it saw essentially no use.

One of the downsides is actually that- most people don't want instant voice comms to their group of players, because the potential upside- better coordination, leading to victory- is often more than offset by the potential downside- social pressure, screaming jerks, whining, or overhearing some awful thing in the background. It's the Xbox effect- everyone thought this was a good idea, but it doesn't take many racist twelve year olds to make you think "huh, maybe giving random people permission to unload into my ears is a bad plan, because that one rare bad seed generates a much more negative experience than the polite ones do a positive".

But while it is interesting to theorize about that, what we do know is, no one would use the ingame VOIP.


And the whole thing is moot, because an ingame VOIP represents a development on the scale of GSF itself, increases server load, creates a ton of code to maintain, requires extensive and expensive tasking to legal to spin up an updated EULA that won't get you in trouble when some random psycho uses the VOIP to verbally damage some child, is an unholy nightmare to test, requires the addition of a whole new input to SWTOR as a whole, and is entirely obsoleted by SEVERAL open source and proprietary applications that already ALSO offer the ability to call your grandmother, telecom in to work, and play seamlessly in MANY games, with a large web of established users. It's a literal industry of free and monetized solutions. It would make more sense to expect Bioware to come out with a special controller just for SWTOR.




Quote:
Now in, for instance, teamspeak you have to broadcast the address to everyone in match.
Yea, and like, it would take almost four whole games to get the addresses of every voice used on any given server. I mean, FOUR GAMES. Much better to recode skype from scratch.


Fun fact: sab probe is still broken, and that's a pretty big bug. Tooltips are still broken, and that's a four byte fix. It's been broken for more months than character positions would need to be modified to fix it. I'm sure they'll get right on embedding mumble.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Magira's Avatar


Magira
11.15.2014 , 09:47 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Again- and this comes up a LOT- World of Warcraft had these SAME complaints with their random battlegrounds, and they actually went ahead and dropped who knows HOW much dev time and money into making an ingame VOIP.
These constant comparisons with WOW, the nightmare of any serious PVP players, are meaningless. Will there not also take it because it is not interested.

PVP oriented games already know the VOIP chat problem from the bottom up not. There are no games either purely by groups against PUGS or matchmaking ensures that each team will be assigned to a group.

Again, there are quite a game mode in PVP, is used in the VOIP chat by ALL, and thus offers no advantage: Group Rated.
In the regular PVP, solo Rated and GSF VOIP Chat is a cheat. Point.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

Fractalsponge's Avatar


Fractalsponge
11.15.2014 , 10:14 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Magira View Post
In the regular PVP, solo Rated and GSF VOIP Chat is a cheat. Point.
And there we go. The forums have officially hit rock bottom.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands