Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Joystick Control for GSF

GlassmanA
11.07.2014 , 10:23 AM | #1
Has anyone found a way to use a flight joystick for galactic starfighters? I just got into into the game about a month ago and would love to try GSF, but I hate mouse and keyboard for flight games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryuku-sama
11.07.2014 , 10:27 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by GlassmanA View Post
Has anyone found a way to use a flight joystick for galactic starfighters? I just got into into the game about a month ago and would love to try GSF, but I hate mouse and keyboard for flight games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is possible.. But you will lose a lot of precision...

EDIT : And next time you wanna post something about that.. Make a quick search. There is a post about it and how to do it in page 3.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Verain
11.07.2014 , 11:25 AM | #3
You can't.

You can make a joystick look like a mouse, but you can't control the ship with the joystick, just the reticule. And yes, it's been covered a lot.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

GlassmanA
11.07.2014 , 11:34 AM | #4
My bad I didn't look far enough back. Also it's kind of a shame it isn't supported. That's a major turn off for me to trying it.

Verain
11.07.2014 , 12:01 PM | #5
If that is the factor as to whether or not you play the free minigame, there wasn't anything they were gonna do to hook you.

There's plenty of reasons why there's no joystick support in GSF. Check the other threads.

PlagaNerezza
11.07.2014 , 01:09 PM | #6
Your missing out on 2 maps and complete pvp in balanced grouping to go along with absolutely no developer attention. I wouldn't miss out on this awesome mini-game.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!

MaximusRex
11.07.2014 , 01:12 PM | #7
My bad I didn't look far enough back. Also it's kind of a shame it isn't supported. That's a major turn off for me to trying it.
I'd suggest just skipping it, the mouse controls are super terrible, and when asked about adding more sensitivity options Musco said go buy a gaming mouse and try and figure it out. They don't care about making this a quality experience. Apologists make all kinds of excuses for no joystick support. BioWare was told by lots of players it was a must have as soon as they told us they were working on the SSSP a few months after launch, and they decided to ignore that anyhow.

Go get X-Wing and TIE Fighter from GoG.com, they are vastly superior space combat experience despite being over 20 years old.

DamascusAdontise
11.08.2014 , 10:49 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
I'd suggest just skipping it, the mouse controls are super terrible, and when asked about adding more sensitivity options Musco said go buy a gaming mouse and try and figure it out. They don't care about making this a quality experience. Apologists make all kinds of excuses for no joystick support. BioWare was told by lots of players it was a must have as soon as they told us they were working on the SSSP a few months after launch, and they decided to ignore that anyhow.

Go get X-Wing and TIE Fighter from GoG.com, they are vastly superior space combat experience despite being over 20 years old.
opinions are like *****holes everyone has one!

That being said lack of joystick support is FAR from the most important thing to GSF. I am always surprised at the level of disdain over this decision. Would I love joystick.... sure. I have an expensive one I never use since very few modern games utilize it. But in the end a choice was made to make the game mouse + keyboard and IMO there is nothing wrong with this.

Adapt and survive I say
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

Verain
11.08.2014 , 11:48 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by PlagaNerezza View Post
Your missing out on 2 maps
The game has five maps.

Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
I'd suggest just skipping it, the mouse controls are super terrible, and when asked about adding more sensitivity options Musco said go buy a gaming mouse and try and figure it out.
It's a keyboard and mouse game. Yes, obviously it would be great if they add joysticks, but it is just so much effort for a very small subsection of their playerbase to have a good control scheme.

More importantly, the controls are fine.

The point is, if you come in here and are like "I would play this game except it doesn't have a joystick", yea, guess what, we know. We all know people who won't play because they didn't go all the way there. But they obviously have reasons, many of which are clear from outside, and most of which probably come down to the number of players who would stop in and say "I would play, but I don't have a joystick".

Also seriously, the mouse controls are perfectly fine for controlling the game. Everyone is on the same footing, and you can make your ship do all the things it needs to do.

And when it comes to X-Wing and TIE Fighter, those games are great, but comparing a 1 player campaign to a 16 or 24 player team pvp experience is just not even similar. You want a space sim versus scripted AI, or you want a space arcade sim with a bunch of allies versus a bunch of enemies? These two do not stand in for one another, and if someone wants to be in a 16 player deathmatch they will always be disappointed by a bunch of AIs.

Verain
11.08.2014 , 11:56 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
opinions are like *****holes everyone has one!
Which is something they don't share with my X-55. I mean, I'm sure that would be added to the long list of Someguy's Cry Thread Copy #5344: Reasons Why I Lost GSF Despite Being The Best Pilot And Everyone That Beat Me Has No Skill.

For summary:

1)- Joystick devel is expensive, requiring a lot of hardware and space in a test lab. Unlike mice, you can't just use a standard interface that is supported at every level you might want to build at. There is also a lot of diversity with joysticks.
2)- The game is tied to SWTOR, so they knew that their existing playerbase had or did not have joysticks in some proportion.
3)- The gulf in controls would create a gap. Any proper joystick would control the ship's pitch, yaw, and roll, whilst also giving you a way to manually aim the reticule, gimballing your guns separate from your controls. This would allow you to do things that the mice cannot, such as firing at zero deflection whilst banking, or taking a snap shot at a rising opponent in the lower left whose movement your are tracking by going to the upper right, etc.
4)- If you go to do joysticks right, you either do them correctly or your game literally has bad controls in an unarguable and real fashion. If you instead make a K+M game, then those are the correct controls.