Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kaggath Battlegrounds Semi-Finals: Republic Resistance vs Republic Reborn

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Kaggath Battlegrounds Semi-Finals: Republic Resistance vs Republic Reborn

Beniboybling
11.06.2014 , 09:34 AM | #1
“No game of dejarik can be won without pawns...”

Round 1: The Republic Resistance vs The Republic Reborn

Welcome to the first round of Battlegrounds Semi-Finals. Where instead of the entire galaxy, combatants will compete in planetary arena, where every soldier, stronghold and ship counts.

For all those of you aren’t aware, the Kaggath is an ancient rite of the Sith, ‘one part duel, one part large-scale dejarik-match’. The two combatants have full use of their power bases, be it armies, strongholds or fleets, in order to outwit and outmanoeuvre their opponent. But the Kaggath is no simple lightsaber duel, although it can come down to one, and the arena can be anywhere: a planet, star system or the entire galaxy.

Before we begin, let’s go over the ground rules:

• The arena: Coruscant – see the faction rundowns for BOEs.
  • #1 The Kaggath is won or lost when the leader of either faction is killed.
  • #2 No outside help of any kind, the combatants cannot call upon assets outside their power base or influence.
  • #3 No outside involvement, other powers will not and cannot interrupt or affect the battle, for the purpose of argument they are non-existent.
  • #4 No surrender, fight to the death!
  • #5 Apathy is death. Factions are not allowed to hide or wait. They must act.
  • #6 Technology level is universal (unless considered archaic or advanced at the time): blaster fire, armouring, lightsabers etc. are all the same regardless of period, all that matters is size, quantity and power.
  • #7 Factions are autonomous – players have no control over their faction’s decisions, this is instead determined by the nature of their leadership.

Read the full rulebook here.

So, the combatants: Amassed at heart of the galaxy and cradle of the Republic two champions of peace, justice and civilisation prepare to do battle, and so prove who is most worthy of restoring the Old Order. LadyKulvax’s Republic Resistance has combined the Golden Age of the Jedi with the most powerful armies that the Republic ever known. While Selenial’s Republic Reborn challenges them with a combination of ancient heroes and soldiers with the far flung rebels of the future.

Behold the factions!

The Republic Resistance
Base of Operations: Temple District

Leadership

Head of State: Grand Master Sunrider
Second-in-Command: Mace Windu
Allies: Commander Cody & Nek Bwua’tu
Supplier: Kuat Drive Yards [Kuat]
Organisation: Republic Intelligence [Coruscant]

Ground Forces

Major Ground Force: Clone Troopers/Third Systems Army [2,304]
Minor Ground Force: Jedi Knights/PT [50]

Light Vehicle: Unstable Terrain Artillery Transport (UT-AT) [34]
2nd Light Vehicle: XR-85 Tank Droid/3m [34]
Heavy Vehicle: HAVw A6 Juggernaut [9]

Naval Forces

Fighter Class: CF9 Crossfire starfighter
Bomber Class: I4 Ionizer starfighter
Elite Class: X-83 TwinTail starfighter

Light Capital Ship: Acclamator I-class assault ship [13]
Heavy Capital Ship: Venator-class star destroyer [6]
Flagship: Imperious-class star destroyer

Naval Crew: Grand Army of the Republic

vs

The Republic Reborn
Base of Operations: Senate District

Leadership

Head of State: Jedi Master Revan
Second-in-Command: Jedi Master Surik
Allies: Jace Malcolm & General Antilles
Supplier: Hutt Cartel [Makeb]
Organisation: Strategic Information Service [Tatooine]

Ground Forces

Minor Ground Force: Republic SpecForce [500]
Minor Ground Force: Alliance Infiltrators [40]
Minor Ground Force: Revanchists [50]

Light Vehicle: TX-130 Saber-class tank [22]
2nd Light Vehicle: T-47 airspeeder [22]
Heavy Vehicle: MPTL-2a [4]

Naval Forces

Fighter Class: X-Wing starfighter
Bomber Class: B-Wing starfighter
Elite Class: BT-Y Thunderclap

Light Capital Ship: Hammerhead-class cruiser [13]
2nd Light Capital Ship: Endurance-class fleet carrier [5]
Heavy Capital Ship: Interdictor-class cruiser [18]
Flagship: Viscount-class star defender [Battlecruiser prototype]

Naval Crew: Galactic Republic [Great War era]

For the right to govern the galaxy as a Republic both sides have agreed to the terms of battle. Will the golden age of the Jedi, and powerful hand of the Republic triumph, or will Revan’s faction reborn as a combination of old and new prove superior? It’s the battle of heroes, but who will win? The battle lines have been drawn…

Let the Kaggath begin!

Beniboybling
11.06.2014 , 09:36 AM | #2
OK, so the Arbiter for this match will be Aurbere, again!

Things to note for this match are as follows:

• The X-Wings in question are the T65-XJ model.

• Just to be clear, the X-85 tank droid in question is the 3 metre variant.

• Interdictors are pre-Rakatan upgrades, if any such upgrades were ever received.

• In terms of the Viscounts' batteries, it will have the guns of the dreadnought variant scaled down based on size. Giving approx. 350 heavy turbolaser batteries, 350 turbolaser batteries, 35 concussion missiles, 50 ion cannons, 90 point-defence cannons and 7 tractor beam projectors.

And that will be all for now. Later down the line I'll be posting points of interest for the battleground but until then I hand over my powers to Aurbere, take it away!

Silenceo
11.06.2014 , 09:36 AM | #3
Viscount soloz. Instant win pwnz! HA ha! (sarcasm)

On a more serious note, these two sides seem pretty well balanced and should prove to be an interesting match. The real question, is how strong are those fighter defenses Sel?
"What I unveil today will mark a new era for the Empire. We will be able to decimate the Rebels just as we did the Jedi Knights. At last the Emperor's war will be filled only with the glory and beauty of decisive victory."―Rom Mohc Never force a droid to think without numbers...

Beniboybling
11.06.2014 , 09:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Haha what? You literally said a week ago that the Hutts could supply fighters as my supplier. There's a trillion people on Coruscant, and whilst I don't have Ziro, for the purposes of this her assets are mine. The underworld will bow

I am empress! Conquerer of the Galaxy and slayer of queens!
#28 The role of an organisation is to provide anything else such as intelligence, criminal influence, black market assets, technology etc. they are also able to provide armour and armaments but not in large quantities, nor can they be a manufacturer.

Suppliers can't field anything in large quantities, I believe this was brought up in your last match when you argued that the Hutt Cartel could bring in a fleet, it cannot.

If you want to argue that somehow the Hutt Cartel can gather together 500 independent and willing pilots from the Coruscant underworld alone with military grade fighters and weaponry then be my guest, but unfortunately they cannot do this prior to the space battle, so they will be largerly useless I'm afraid. No pirate fleet for you.

EDIT: This is OR Hutt Cartel, so no Ziro.

LadyKulvax
11.06.2014 , 09:45 AM | #5
Flag-ship comparison:

Imperious-class Star Destroyer

Spoiler

VS

Viscount-class Battlecruiser Prototype

Spoiler

Heavy Capital Ship comparison:

Venator-class Star Destroyer[6]

Spoiler

VS

Interdictor-class Cruiser[18]

Spoiler

DBY-827 Dual Heavy Turbolasers are worth 2 heavy turbolasers on a standard setting, but with full power are stated to be worth 12 heavy turbolasers, that is 96 heavies vs essentially 100 standard turbolasers. Adding the rest of the Venator's weaponry in here there is really no comparison, 1 Venator has the firepower of 2 Interdictors without a doubt.

Light Capital Ship comparison:

Acclamator I-class Assault Ship(Fighter Carrier variant)[13]

Spoiler

VS

Hammerhead-class cruiser[13]

Spoiler

&

Endurance-class Fleet Carrier[5]

Spoiler

The Acclamator completely out-guns either enemy vessel due to Proton load-out and could likely take as many as three before being destroyed, when taking into account it's excessive defensive specs.

Total Starfighter complement:
Spoiler

As we can see, the Resistance has twice as many fighters as the Reborn fleet has and basically negates any kind of quality advantage the Reborn might have.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Aurbere
11.06.2014 , 09:51 AM | #6
OK, I see Rayla posted her fleet comparison, so I don't have to worry about that. But here's her assessment of tacticians that she sent me.

High Jedi General Mace Windu, was a Jedi High General seen as second only to Yoda in tactical ingenuity, not once has Windu's forces lost a major battle and he has often once he has won, immediately moved to reinforce critical systems in the war.

Very much described as a Jedi with a clear over-view of the Clone Wars, but also with a keen insight into the use and control of supply lines.

Many Jedi including Shaak Ti, whom was considered the fourth most tactically astute High Jedi General, concluded that the war would have continued unabated in the Inner Rim, rather than the Outer-rim without Windu and his sector army.

Marshall Commander Cody was one of the few Marshalls in the entire Grand Army of the Republic, praised by General Kenobi for his ability to carry out their very unorthodox plans continuously, his army is in-fact stated to have one of the lowest casualty rates in the GAR.

Chief of Naval Operations Nek Bwua'tu was one of the most naturally gifted tacticians in the history of the galaxy, noted for his flawless record against the Thrawn Simulator, something no one else ever held, despite never having commanded a fleet engagement.

The Jedi Masters actually believed that he may be Force Sensitive, for seemingly being able to predict his opponent's every move. Indeed, he predicted Jedi powers rather easily and numerous times subverted their use.

He was well-versed in using asteroid fields and suns to his advantage, in-fact he would place his ship directly between a sun and enemy ships to essentially blind their gunners.

He also excelled at using psychological warfare against his enemies, attacking when he should defend and defending when he should attack, then employing seemingly paradoxical tactics.... launching starfighers in attack formations and keeping his capital ships back.

Yet he was very efficient and very effective against even the Killik Hivemind which simply abandoned fighting him, not able to adequately employ their own tactics against such an unpredictable mind, despite out-numbering him astronomically.

Supreme Commander Gilad Pallaeon concluded that if they hadn't employed such tactics against the hivemind they would have lost the inner rim with barely a fight.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

LadyKulvax
11.06.2014 , 10:10 AM | #7
Tactics.

I have to say Coruscant couldn't be a better choice for Nek to play in.

I see this being simple, he uses the long-range mode of the six Venators to cause damage on the enemy fleet before it even gets in range.

The Acclamators field their starfighters first and the Venators follow, having learned the mistake of the previous Kaggath match, the security of the Venators will be a large priority, once deployed the Starfighter screen of Crossfires will immediately overwhelm any enemy fighters.

CF-9 Crossfires are stated to be one of the fastest designs produced in the last three centuries, being able to completely dominate due to speed, the great asset here is that these fighters will simply be too quick to counter effectively with anything but X-wings at a distance.

The TwinTails however will shine, they can soak enormous amounts of damage and still continue, not to mention their firepower is stated to be freighter level and speed incredible, the X-Wings are simply the un-evolved predecessor by comparison.

Then we have the effects of Battle Meditation, amped by the nexus in the Sacred Spire, ttscis nexus should dramatically increase the standard effect and give Nek's fleet a prime advantage, it should even over-power the less powerful effects Meetra Surik's Battle Meditation may or may not have in the battle.

Once Starfighter dominance is assured, then the Ionizers come into effect:

"The Mon Calamari hate nothing more than an Ion weapon, Ion weaponry is the one thing they've never cracked and that is why our fleet will take an advantage." - Daala

Ion Bombs on the scale that the Ionizers can drop should prove an extreme advantage over the Viscount, Ion weapons have been shown to bypass shielding and this is something the Viscount just cannot afford to lose.

This however is not the only way to take down that vessel the Imperious, itself heavily shielded (it tanked a 1,000 turbolasers before it's shields began to falter), could prove a severe severe thorn in the battlecruiser's side, when combined with the Ionizer's weaponry, the mighty beast might be slain after all, especially with those Gravity Mines.

However the Acclamators may be the key in this affair, 1300 Proton Torpedoes is probably a sure fire way of blowing that over-sized tortoise to pieces.

If the mighty beast can be dropped then the rest of the battle should prove to be elementary for Nek.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

LadyKulvax
11.06.2014 , 10:17 AM | #8
I shall be retreating to bed, so anyone arguing for the Resistance, your chance to make your presence felt is now.
Jedi Order

Selenial
11.06.2014 , 10:26 AM | #9
Ok, I'm going to make this a long-ish post, divided into multiple segments. I'll try to keep these points short and sweet.

Ship to Ship:
Spoiler

As you can see, in ship to ship, the Republic Resistance are astronomically outgunned. Put this on top of quotes like this for the acclamator...

Quote:
Though it can certainly defend itself from small spaceborne threats, it doesn't have the staying power or flexibility to stand against a concerted attack by capital ships, It is for this reason, more than any other, that the Acclamator design was eventually abandoned by the Empire. - Source: Starships of the Galaxy.
And you see, at least in my eyes, that the only saving grace of the Republic Resistance is it's fighters... and here's what I have to say about that.

Starfighters:

Spoiler

In terms of Tacticians and Battle Meditation:
Spoiler

I have more to post after this has been debated. I'll also copy this into my post on the Front Page to allow for easier viewing, and for it not to get lost.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.
Celéna Mercenary Cathinka Seeliara Sage

Wolfninjajedi
11.06.2014 , 10:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
OK, so the Arbiter for this match will be Aurbere, again!

Things to note for this match are as follows:

[LIST][*]Just to be clear, the X-85 tank droid in question is the 3 metre variant.
!
3 meter variant what?...It's only ever been 32 meters. The bit about the prototype, there isn't a source for that.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.