The PUG players guide to dealing with imbalanced warzones.

vennian

Like a famous man who believed in equality and balance once, I too "have a dream".

That dream is a spicy varied solo-queue (preferably with some kind of decent matchmaking, with ELO) for 8v8 warzones. That would be grand, interesting, surprising and unpredictable. But as long as that is not coming I'm going to give you the PUG-players guide to dealing with premades in 8v8 objective based warzones.

[i'm a PUG-player. There's more spice in it. Fighting with or against premades is as bland as eating oatmel 3 times a day, all year. PUG-Players are hereby defined as players who press "solo queue"-button in more than 80% of their warzones]

Science has proven (can't be bothered to find links, but they are out there) that what gives the gamers and people in general their kicks are the pleasant SURPRISES we encounter. The predictable will be boring. It's the surprises that counts. Premades in regs counter surprises. It's why people form them. They are basically the stacking of the deck to limit the varity of players in the warzone and improving their chance of winning. Premades in regs are as bland as oatmeal mixed with wetabix sans liquid and far from fair and balanced.

Unfortunately Bioware have stated before that they like their warzones, like they like their calories. Lots of them, devoid of content and lack of balance. They prefer the quantity of pops over the quality of pops. Which is a shame, because the spicy few varied and balanced juicy steaks of matches with surprises in them out there have become a rare treat. In most matches including any kind of premade matchup the outcome is pretty much given within the few first minutes. Experienced PVP'ers can tell you that.

So, being the PUG player that I am, I try to avoid those dull matches by all the tools the game gives me. Fortunately there's no quitters debuff, 'cause a major tool is the "leave warzone"-button.

- PAY HEED TO GUILD TAGS. The most common trait of a premade in your warzone is several players with the same guild tag. These might or might not be on voice tools for better communication, but they already have the benefit of choosing a combination of roles with which to join, synergy and less randomisation on the team.

My advice: Unless you already know them, try them on for size in the match. If the warzone seems terribly one-sided, leave or stay depending on whether you are losing or winning. Remember to yawn due to boredom either way. You are a juicy little cupcake fighting with or against oatmeal heroes after all.

By leaving and immediately requeuing you might get into a new warzone while the one you left is still in progress which offers you a new chance at finding a varied and nailbitingly close PUGvsPUG match.

- WHEN GETTING A POP AND BEFORE ENTERING. Use the "who pane". In the who pane you can also search on locations such as "the pit" (huttball) "quesh arena" (huttball2), "novare coast" "orbital station" (arena) "makeb mesa" (arena) "voidstar" "alderaan civil war" et cetera. If you don't know the name of a certain setting, "who pane" yourself next time you are in it. This way you can see who (on your faction) will be in what arena/warzone. Useful when in a same-faction match. This can also be used to see if a match is lacking players and you re apt to be a backfiller when your pop comes.

Which brings us to

- KNOW THINE COMBATANTS. Without cross-server you will get to know who is memorably good and bad amongst your PVP-population. This also gives you the advantage of spotting when certain players seem to be running cross-guild premades. Does the same 2+ persons pop up together for extended times in warzones? Guess what they might be. Oatmeal heroes trying to ruin the banquet of flavour.

- FAIRWEATHER. Roll alts on both factions. Sometimes one faction seems to run full-force regstar premades or just overwhelming odds. Then it's time to fairweather. Change to the winning side on an alt and join the imbalance. It's boring as hell but easy comms are easy comms, yo. You gotta be fast though, because sooner than later all the fights will be same faction as everyone fairweathers to the same faction, or the opposition just stops queuing from "getting stomped on"-exhaustion.

- if possible, PLAY IN THE OFF-HOURS. Most days have "sweet spots" where regstar premades are less prevalent. Like rats and STDs they will never truly go away in a population, but there are usually a few hours where most of them are doing RL stuff.

I'd love to have further suggestions for my fellow pug players out there, but I currently have none. Maybe you can teach me some tricks and tips.

Final advice when the interesting, varied and balanced matches becomes fewer than and rarer than truths from a politicians mouth and the warzones become bland due to lack of balance: Unsub and become preferred. State to Bioware that you'd like a bit of balance, randomisation and variety in your teams and matches when they ask you why.

Edited by vennian

problems here:

The vast majority of premades are just guilds queueing together. They aren't good, they are just doing it for conquest and weekly comms, swap out to alts as they go as one finishes their weekly and/or conquest, go to an alt, rinse/repeat. Sure they might have voice chat, but a lot of those times they are talking about movies, girls, guys, joking around and not really paying attention to whats going on. Add that even though they are in voice chat, many times there are other people in the same channel talking about something else, thus, no real game chat.

Most are not min/maxing their classes, fotm, making sure they have a healer, tank, 2dps, etc... just who wants to pvp and roll with who is on.

but since you are one that queues solo most ofthe time, it also follows that you probably don't understand this.

Add that even with good guilds, they don't min/max group comp for regs. Just doesn't happen. Sure, it can happen if they have the right people on when they are queueing, but realistically, it's not their intent. Their intent is to pvp.

interesting point about the /who, though I can't find that a realistically plausible way of trying to find out who is in your group due to the randomness of wz's and the number of them. By the time you finished looking and studying each /who, your timer would be up.

In terms of leaving, let people leave. If they don't want to be there, so be it. Let people fill in who want to play. Add a debuff timer will do is encourage those that wanted to leave just to go to a node and afk and not participate. And most likely what they will do is just spam chat about how bad everyone else is and distract them from the match while contributing nothing.

Also, the game does try to match premade against other premades when possible. Though many times it might not be able to or be practical in terms of time, thus in many cases favoring faster pops so no one waits half an hour for a queue.

problems here:

The vast majority of premades are just guilds queueing together. They aren't good, they are just doing it for conquest and weekly comms, swap out to alts as they go as one finishes their weekly and/or conquest, go to an alt, rinse/repeat. Sure they might have voice chat, but a lot of those times they are talking about movies, girls, guys, joking around and not really paying attention to whats going on. Add that even though they are in voice chat, many times there are other people in the same channel talking about something else, thus, no real game chat.

Most are not min/maxing their classes, fotm, making sure they have a healer, tank, 2dps, etc... just who wants to pvp and roll with who is on.

but since you are one that queues solo most ofthe time, it also follows that you probably don't understand this.

Add that even with good guilds, they don't min/max group comp for regs. Just doesn't happen. Sure, it can happen if they have the right people on when they are queueing, but realistically, it's not their intent. Their intent is to pvp.

interesting point about the /who, though I can't find that a realistically plausible way of trying to find out who is in your group due to the randomness of wz's and the number of them. By the time you finished looking and studying each /who, your timer would be up.

In terms of leaving, let people leave. If they don't want to be there, so be it. Let people fill in who want to play. Add a debuff timer will do is encourage those that wanted to leave just to go to a node and afk and not participate. And most likely what they will do is just spam chat about how bad everyone else is and distract them from the match while contributing nothing.

Also, the game does try to match premade against other premades when possible. Though many times it might not be able to or be practical in terms of time, thus in many cases favoring faster pops so no one waits half an hour for a queue.

My experience with my guilds premades is exactly as you describe, sans interest in conquest. We group together when we can because we like each other. Because we feel that grouping is more fun than solo. Because this is an mmo. Because we are in a guild. There is a fair portion of our members that aren't that great. Not utter bads, but not regstars.

To OP: ya encourage leaving warzones... lol. Why don't you L2P instead?

I hate when people use the word spicy to describe anything not related to food.

I was hungry. Also, plenty of food references.

Oh yeah

1 more:

DO LOWBIES ON ALTS. Lowbies are chaotic and generally random. Also they are a great learning tool for you, as there are generally less premades and more people not knowing what to do. If you have the skill and patience they can be great for drilling pug teams into shape by sharing your wisdom as how to play objectives. The art is that of persuasion through chat. It is not easily mastered and few PVP'ers have that leadership ability, instead resorting to raging in chat, demoralizing the team. Build up your PUG buttercups, don't tear down the newbies. That is the mark of a true master of PVP.

Edited by vennian

Dude , seriously I solo qued so much on my marauder for regs , just que and don't give a **** . I've carried teams , I've gotten focused and couldn't do ****.

Thats pretty much how its going to go when you solo que . If you don't want that , get into a guild that only does regs with 4mans. Ultra regstar guilds are common on Repside.

If you put that much effort into doing regs where you need to use to WHO tab to find out whose queing. I think you need to find something else better to do.

Edited by Kenjigreat

leave or stay depending on whether you are losing or winning.

this is that kind of things that leave bads in badness and for sure don't improve pugs quality.

anybody can try himslef against a maul spammer or an average healer.

it's against premades that you can deal with real pvp: a healer capable of kiting and keeping himself and other targets alive, a dps capable of putting you in danger even if he engages at 50% hp, tanks not melting, dps popping defensive etc...i still see people becoming headless chickens if you interupt their core cast and using their stun as a opener.

Advising leaving, side swapping, thinking premades are magical super-teams....

Oh, I LOL'd hard. The irony of the PUG guide being as clueless as the PUGs...ahahaha.

10/10 keep trolololing.

yeah, but he does it in such lively prose. I enjoyed the read. I only queue solo rated these days unless a few friends want to run some regs. solo rated really only pops on imp side for my server, and it's usually populated by the same 10-15 people on various alts. it pops about 5 days per week from as early as 6 (usually 8) to as late as 2 (usually ~12:30ish). it's fabulous. I have no need to ever deal with the lopsidedness of regs.

I'm leveling a mara with 12xp, and hopped in the WZ queue to get my valor up (realizing at level 37 that I was zero valor!). I ran into a 3m same faction premade in tattooine canyone. they were geared to the tooth with an average hp of 28-29k (that's mostly augmented purple mods in every slot). we didn't have a player over 26k, mostly 22-24k. we got crushed in rnd1. one of the premade (jugg dps I think), poked his head into genchat and said "+1 internets for not quitting after that." it was a clear backhanded compliment by this dude feeling all high and mighty cuz he crushed us while his team had every possible advantage. I laughed. if I only ran regs, I'd think his guild was really good. I've seen the tag a lot. and I'm not saying they're BAD, but that tag NEVER shows up in ranked. there are a few guilds like that on my server, both pub and imp, who I thought were pretty good until I never saw them in soloQ (where the best players/guild is always present -- team is dead on JM)...or even worse: when I did see them in solo rated and stepped on them.

anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but c'est la vie.

And then it happens. You have that warzone that reminds you why you PUG.

You are on Quesh. It is huttball and everything looks good. You are a guardian watcher of the republic. You are a tank amongst squishies. You have your accuracy debuffs, your saber reflect, your warding call and all the other talents that makes you a stalwart defender of all that is right and just.

And you leap! And you push! And you guardian leap! It goes well.

Then it happens! You don't know when or how it happened, but suddenly you see her. And she is beautiful. She does all the right things at the right times. She heals you, she is ahead of you, she bubbles you. You didn't know her name then, but you quickly notice her nametag now. And you meld together. You are everywhere together. You guardian leap to her, you push enemies away, you leap to them, she runs and rescues you. It's poetry in motion. There's other people on your team, but you really don't notice them that much. They do their job though, because the enemy seems preoccupied and not respawning in their spawnarea waiting for you.

All you have eye for is the shiny. The ball, her and enemies to leap to. It's pure bliss. You guard her a lot. She needs it to defend from the enemies who see her beauty move. You try to keep the wolves at bay. You taunt, you challenge, you awe them with your armors radiance.

And when you don't guard her, she understands and heals the guarded ballcarrier with you. The ball keeps moving. It keeps finding the enemies goalline.

And then it is over. Six to .. something. You don't know, don't care. Your focus is spent and she's likely all out of force, but it's okay 'cause you won. And you go your separate ways. You will likely meet again, in another warzone. But it will never be the same. It will never be "that time we met each other in Queshball". But you will have the memories and there will be other matches.

You log off. Your spouse asks why you look flustered. And all you can say is "we won in huttball". She wouldn't understand.

Edited by vennian

My experience with my guilds premades is exactly as you describe, sans interest in conquest. We group together when we can because we like each other. Because we feel that grouping is more fun than solo. Because this is an mmo. Because we are in a guild. There is a fair portion of our members that aren't that great. Not utter bads, but not regstars.

To OP: ya encourage leaving warzones... lol. Why don't you L2P instead?

Leaving wz when the winners are not in your group is called learn to win

Naab

this is that kind of things that leave bads in badness and for sure don't improve pugs quality.

anybody can try himslef against a maul spammer or an average healer.

Yeah, but being steamrolled often makes me want to ragequit. I mean, 0:6 in Huttball isn't funny. Not at all.

Or that overkill-brutal mid-tier PvP in Voidstar I had yesterday : We matched against 5 Sorcs & 1 Assassin ... Brutal ! We didn't have the tiniest ray of hope or of a chance ... They were extremely coordinated, too, playing all of the tricks like LOS, DOTs etc. ... This is exactly THE kind of matches that make ANY Newbie quit !

And THEN people whine because no-one wants to play PvP anymore !

Yeah, because the cattle just doesn't want to be farmed at one point anymore ... and those "farmers" are whining on the foruns, then, because there is no-one to farm left anymore ... Yeah, right.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Theres no problem with leaving warzones. If enough leave it ends quicker and a new one that might be more balanced can start. Staying in a warzone where only one side has a chance just means you make others wait longer to have fun. That just harms pvp.

Its up to the players to balance the system that bioware has no intention of changing and leaving is part of that.

Ok, well i'm a purely pug player myself and here is my advice. Most matches, its not what the OP is talking about. It may be one sided but so what, you learn more from losing than from winning. The matches where you should actually quit are the ones against malicious people playing like jerks. We have an infamous guild on Jedi Covenant whom everyone hates for a mix of cheap tactics, regstaring, allegations of hacking/cheating, and most annoyingly endless amounts of seriously nasty trash talk. When they show up, with or against me, I quit. But everything else? Worst case scenario just go into stealth /slap people the whole match.

You are on Quesh. It is huttball and everything looks good. You are a guardian watcher of the republic. You are a tank amongst squishies. You have your accuracy debuffs, your saber reflect, your warding call and all the other talents that makes you a stalwart defender of all that is right and just.

Then it happens! You don't know when or how it happened, but suddenly you see her. And she is beautiful. She does all the right things at the right times. She heals you, she is ahead of you, she bubbles you. You didn't know her name then, but you quickly notice her nametag now. And you meld together. You are everywhere together. You guardian leap to her, you push enemies away, you leap to them, she runs and rescues you. It's poetry in motion. There's other people on your team, but you really don't notice them that much. They do their job though, because the enemy seems preoccupied and not respawning in their spawnarea waiting for you.

All you have eye for is the shiny. The ball, her and enemies to leap to. It's pure bliss. You guard her a lot. She needs it to defend from the enemies who see her beauty move. You try to keep the wolves at bay. You taunt, you challenge, you awe them with your armors radiance.

And when you don't guard her, she understands and heals the guarded ballcarrier with you. The ball keeps moving. It keeps finding the enemies goalline.

And then it is over. Six to .. something. You don't know, don't care. Your focus is spent and she's likely all out of force, but it's okay 'cause you won. And you go your separate ways. You will likely meet again, in another warzone. But it will never be the same. It will never be "that time we met each other in Queshball". But you will have the memories and there will be other matches.

You log off. Your spouse asks why you look flustered. And all you can say is "we won in huttball". She wouldn't understand.

You're an idiot. But that was hilarious.

Pro tip - your beautiful sage was most likely a dude.

These forums work pretty much as the PvP ingame, most of the ordinary kids wants to be like the cool kids, so when your losing more than you win you changes faction you get on that per sieved FOTM, then your back on these forums blending in with the cool kids, ranting down any anyone with a different opinion then the FOTM opinion.

I'd to say that the OP is spot on and so are some other guys as well:

problems here:

The vast majority of premades are just guilds queueing together. They aren't good

most of the time is this true, I my self is one of them some of the time, when I'm not PUGing doing this:

Dude , seriously I solo qued so much on my marauder for regs , just que and don't give a **** . I've carried teams , I've gotten focused and couldn't do ****.

But at this stage to deny the negative impact the overpowered, overskilled premade have on the pvp community is not only foolish but utterly stupid . . .

to linger in PUG destroys the PvP utterly, if you don't realize that your probably one of those who helping destroy it. I'd to say this is a all to true description of the current state of PvP;

. . . if I only ran regs, I'd think his guild was really good. I've seen the tag a lot. and I'm not saying they're BAD, but that tag NEVER shows up in ranked . . .

"End game PvP anyone?"

"And start losing again!?"

"No way , I'm gonna . . ."

The OP is pretty much spot on, I could have written this my self six months ago, I certainly thought it all. At the same time I know that Ranked PvP is one of the most unwelcoming environments in the game, mostly because when the ones the OP writes about do find ranked, it is in Yolo Q queue, syncing, doing their thing all over again, hence the oversized and over occurring Ranked Yolo Q whiner threads on here.

It's time to get concerned about the PvP in the game, as if there's gonna be any, the down prio we know exist from the devs is in black and white on the Conquest(CQ) board just compare the points you get from PvP CQ with any other activity related to CQ. the points for doing PvP is dumbed down to the crafting points!!

It's long gone since I've seen a well balanced post on these forums, but know this, when the ones you queuing with is the the ones spawncamping, the ones always on the OP side then it's time to move on, when the other team got more then 11 participants, when the the WZ ends mid way due to lack of enough players on the other team, then it's time for you to get in to endgame PvP;

"But it doesn't have a WZ!!!"

Then post threads demanding one then . . . But for the future of PvP do not linger in PUG . . .'cos when PUG pops gets scares and few between then it probably to late! Stop being a first class whiner, stop being the ultimate BAD, stop linger in PUG Q, stop being a sissy and a coward, stop linger in PUG, start enter End game PvP!!!

Lol this is all cute.

Anyways, can't be bothered to read all the endless posts of this thread. However, consider this. Most people premade, not for conquest, or any of the other nonsense you all stated here. People premade because playing video games, like on any console, with friends, is a lot more fun than playing by yourself. And as this game is not a single player game, (in fact if I'm not mistaken, is a massive multilayer game) is ment to be played with friends and in groups. Long story short, quit crying, stop being losers and make some friends. Hell, I like to solo once in a while, but I don't cry when I get beat by a premade. And 90% of the time, when a premade beats pugs, it's not because it was a premade, it was because the pugs were just bads that don't know how to PvP. Or under/over geared.

Lol this is all cute.

Anyways, can't be bothered to read all the endless posts of this thread. However, consider this. Most people premade, not for conquest, or any of the other nonsense you all stated here. People premade because playing video games, like on any console, with friends, is a lot more fun than playing by yourself. And as this game is not a single player game, (in fact if I'm not mistaken, is a massive multilayer game) is ment to be played with friends and in groups. Long story short, quit crying, stop being losers and make some friends. Hell, I like to solo once in a while, but I don't cry when I get beat by a premade. And 90% of the time, when a premade beats pugs, it's not because it was a premade, it was because the pugs were just bads that don't know how to PvP. Or under/over geared.

So you want to pass your self off like one of the cool kids . . .

Just wondered who would get the bait about Conquest points - and then ignoring the rest, just to be 'smart' by taking the easy, FOTM opinion, to promote and excuse a very non mmo behavior!!!

IF, and I say IF, your argument were valid, then group ranked would pop like crazy, the whiner threads of Yolo ranked would be non existent, 'cos nobody would play there. IF the desire to play with friends where remotely higher then to get a easy win!!

IF your mmo matra of 'grouping with friends' were true, we never would have seen the shutting down of ranked 8 vs 8!!!Either your new here or your just beating your self silly with this argument. the grouping with friends dogma only exist if the calculated chance of a certain PvP victory is greater then the risk of not.

The only valid argument for any one to linger in PUG is that it's the only place you can do a WZ, all other argument are rubbish.

Edited by t-darko

These forums work pretty much as the PvP ingame, most of the ordinary kids wants to be like the cool kids, so when your losing more than you win you changes faction you get on that per sieved FOTM, then your back on these forums blending in with the cool kids, ranting down any anyone with a different opinion then the FOTM opinion.

Quite right, imho.

And 90% of the time, when a premade beats pugs, it's not because it was a premade, it was because the pugs were just bads that don't know how to PvP. Or under/over geared.

LOL, this is so cute.

You are in fact doing nothing but repeating the same argument over again.

Repeating something doesn't make it more true, you know. ;)

And apart from that you're nothing but another prime example of those hardcore PvP players scaring away any Newbies : Those who are so much hardened that they don't care anymore about anyone else.

And then you realize..your a guardian and did not need healz anyway with yur ED equivalent; call yur lawyer and execute a brutal but effective OP tank/heals divorce...sure she gets half yur stuff..but you get all the glory.

2/10.

Entertaining, but I thought this guide would be full of actual tips on how to turn the tables on premades. Some are hell on wheels, but many can be beaten by a determined, skilled group of PuGs. That's a guide that needs to be written.

Turned out this "guide" was just a "I hate premades" rant. Admittedly entertaining, but not really much of a guide.